Poseidon

Weekend Thread 2/24-26 | Sat #s |Get Out: 12.8 (+18%) Lego: 9.4 (+120%) Wick: 4.2 (+70) (Pg 20)

2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Anecdotal evidence #472 that GET OUT is breaking out: Mrs. Tele (not much of a horror fan) was outraged that I saw it yesterday without her, and so we're gonna catch a 4pm show today. 

I'm loving to see the crossover appeal that this movie is having, this movie is playing with the GP in the same way that The Conjuring did. Can't wait to see the audiences breakdown.

Hey everyone! I'm backafter total hip and knee replacement!! On my way to becoming more machine than human!

Anyways, Get Out was awesome. Everyone was raving about it on my Facebook. My wife and I both loved it, and we generally hate horror.

• Like 21

4 hours ago, Barnack said:

As for all the pure comedy movies fail comments, I'm not so sure, some kind of comedy do not travel very well but we had many recent nice financial success, specially on the domestic market.

Trainwreck, Daddy's home, Sisters, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, most Melissa McCarthy or Kevin Hart comedy, Neighbors 1-2, Bad Mom did really really well, Why Him did work too. If you go a bit back in time 21 Jump Street 1-2, Growth up 1-2, Hangover trilogy, etc...

Comedy also tend to be particularly popular rental wise.

Bridget Jones was a flop domestically but thanks to OS especially the UK, it did $212m WW on a $35m budget. 

I suspect Baywatch will do okay not only because of name recognition but also because of Dwayne Johnson and to an extent Zac Efron

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UrosepsisFace said:

The comedy is limited to mostly one character who does not appear in each movie of the series.

Who's been in the last three movies, the most successful three...

F&F also has diversity and social media following working in its favour which broadens its appeal beyond your standard action movies. And it's the action that has actually made it more popular - diverging away from its niche street racing roots has brought massive BO success, as we all know.

1 hour ago, FilmBuff said:

Hey everyone! I'm backafter total hip and knee replacement!! On my way to becoming more machine than human!

Anyways, Get Out was awesome. Everyone was raving about it on my Facebook. My wife and I both loved it, and we generally hate horror.

I had no idea you were going through major surgery. Glad you're back on your feet. 

• Like 2

This is completely anecdotal and probably useless evidence, but I've had about 15 friends (including all of an entire group chat!) say they heard Get Out was great and they're really excited to see it tonight. It's a small sample, but rarely does buzz pickup that fast on a Saturday among my friend groups. I wouldn't be stunned to see this get a solid bump today. It's really picking up steam.

• Like 10

11 hours ago, Goffe said:

:cloud9:

BOM has Friday estimated up and a lot of them are slightly higher, but LLL is about 10% higher at $1.22m.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/

Edit- Whoops, quoted the wrong post, I meant to quote this:

La La Land (Lionsgate) 1,733 theaters (+146) /$1.1M Fri (0%)/3-day:$4.1M (-10%)/Total:$140.4M / Wk 12

Edited by Incarnadine
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

Hahahahaha Resident Evil 6 almost $100M opening weekend in China 

22 minutes ago, Gabriel Sales said:

Great for RE!

China is currently the break-even point at the world box office.

13 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Wowsers for RE6 in China!

They really should just get Donnie Yen to team up with Milla for Resident Evil 7: This time it's the end, we swear it! Now in China!

3 hours ago, m3racer123 said:

Who's been in the last three movies, the most successful three...

F&F also has diversity and social media following working in its favour which broadens its appeal beyond your standard action movies. And it's the action that has actually made it more popular - diverging away from its niche street racing roots has brought massive BO success, as we all know.

Yeah, each movie has found a way to be successful in different ways and its international appeal is insane. What I admire about this franchise is that it just kept going whatever it's critical perception or BO.