Poseidon

Weekend Thread 2/24-26 | Sat #s |Get Out: 12.8 (+18%) Lego: 9.4 (+120%) Wick: 4.2 (+70) (Pg 20)

I think Kong will have some difficulties, but the people predicting under 100M DOM are overreacting to say the least. If WB can fudge Edge Of fucking Tomorrow to over 100M, they wouldn't let King Kong slide. Especially considering that this movie is meant to continue the build to Godzilla Vs. Kong. I say 50M OW, 140M+ total (sorta screwed over by Beauty And The Beast).

• Like 8

Humor + Horror breaking out. Last year was humor + rated-R action. We also know humor + animation/super-heroes sells big time too. Yet all the pure-comedy movies fail. Ha ha!

Lionsgate is rocking it this first quarter, too. Those Zords in Power Ranges look sweet. Can't wait for Name of the Wind.

I think Kong is being underestimated. Sure, kids from the 90s will be bringing their kids to see BatB and Power Rangers, and they are buzzing about it on the internet. Kids from the 40s, if they're still alive, will need their kids, grandchildren, great grandchildren, or great great grandchildren to assist them to the theaters for Kong.

Edited by UrosepsisFace

1 hour ago, mahnamahna said:

Realistically, with Get Out breaking out and likely doing $80 million+ DOM, Logan getting stellar buzz/reviews, B&tB set to do huge numbers and Power Rangers possibly surprising like TMNT did in 2014, anything over $100 million DOM is solid for Kong (and Ghost in the Shell, too). The market will be too crowded for it to develop any real late legs (by weeks 3 and 4, it'll lose a chunk of its screens to PR/Ghost/Boss Baby/Life/CHiPs)

It's not just Kong, though. I also think Ghost in the Shell and Boss Baby will be hurt by Logan/B&tB/Power Rangers becoming the top three films for the overall spring break period.

I see the March slate performing like this:

Hide contents
  1. Beauty & The Beast: $550 million
  2. Logan: $220 million
  3. Power Rangers: $140 million
  4. Kong - Skull Island: $85 million
  5. Ghost in the Shell: $80 million
  6. The Boss Baby: $70 million
  7. Life: $50 million
  8. The Shack: $45 million
  9. CHiPs: $30 million
  10. The Zookeeper's Wife: $20 million
  11. Before I Fall: $10 million
  12. Step Sisters: $10 million
  13. The Belko Experiment: $5 million

At the very least, March 2017 should be much more well-rounded than last March, especially if Kong/Ghost/Power Rangers all do $100-125 million DOM.

I don't think there is any way Kong finishes below 100m. You're too bullish on Power Rangers, that will be lucky to finish above 100m.

1 minute ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Humor + Horror breaking out. Last year was humor + rated-R action. We also know humor + animation/super-heroes sells big time too. Yet all the pure-comedy movies fail. Ha ha!

Lionsgate is rocking it this first quarter, too. Those Zords in Power Ranges look sweet. Can't wait for Name of the Wind.

I think Kong is being underestimated. Sure, kids from the 90s will be bringing their kids to see BatB and Power Rangers, and they are buzzing about it on the internet. Kids from the 40s, if they're still alive, will need their kids, grandchildren, great grandchildren, or great great grandchildren to assist them to the theaters.

I find the zords unimpressive from what I have seen so far.  Bandai releasing the toys before Lionsgate could show off what was going to be in the movie did not help.

As for Kong, it feels like it's The Legend of Tarzan all over again, doesn't it?  Many here are expecting a huge flop, yet once it finally opens, the movie does find an audience and does fine at the box office.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

It's funny, horror seemed dead in 2015, and after 2016 and this year it's more alive than ever.

Shows that if you actually make good horror movies, there's still interest in them.

There's always interest in movies that look interesting. genre never really dies, but a slew of uninteresting/unappealing movies can make it look like the whole thing is dead. And then something resurrects it. 

14 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

Pure action seem to have an hard time too, even when they are as good as MadMax, Raid 1-2, Hardcore Henry, etc... Like you said what seem to work is combining genre, the most popular recent comedies seem to be Force Awaken and the MCU outputs.

As for all the pure comedy movies fail comments, I'm not so sure, some kind of comedy do not travel very well but we had many recent nice financial success, specially on the domestic market.

Trainwreck, Daddy's home, Sisters, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, most Melissa McCarthy or Kevin Hart comedy, Neighbors 1-2, Bad Mom did really really well, Why Him did work too. If you go a bit back in time 21 Jump Street 1-2, Growth up 1-2, Hangover trilogy, etc...

Comedy also tend to be particularly popular rental wise.

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Pure action seem to have an hard time too, even when they are as good as MadMax, Raid 1-2, Hardcore Henry, etc...

Out of these, only MMFR had a decent release (and it did fairly well). The RAID movies, sadly, are incredibly niche since they're foreign imports. I haven't seen HH but it sounded like an impressive technical gimmick and not much of a movie. 

Right now, JW2 is doing very well for a straight-up actioner. 

Straight-up action movies aren't made that frequently any more, at least with a solid budget. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Out of these, only MMFR had a decent release (and it did fairly well). The RAID movies, sadly, are incredibly niche since they're foreign imports. I haven't seen HH but it sounded like an impressive technical gimmick and not much of a movie. 

Straight-up action movies aren't made that frequently any more, at least with a solid budget. 

Mad Max Fury Road was a sequel/reboot to a saga 30 years dormant, and which was never a box office force to begin with, despite its cult status. MMFR did great all things considered, imho. It beats the crap out of the other Mad Max films DOM, even adjusted.

Agreed on the rest, too. The Raid were Indonesian films, I'm shocked they even grossed 6 figures.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Anecdotal evidence #472 that GET OUT is breaking out: Mrs. Tele (not much of a horror fan) was outraged that I saw it yesterday without her, and so we're gonna catch a 4pm show today. 

Oh snap! Tele was in the dog house! :jeb!:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Fast & Furious Franchise is Superhero Genre Confirmed.