Poseidon

Weekend Thread 2/24-26 | Sat #s |Get Out: 12.8 (+18%) Lego: 9.4 (+120%) Wick: 4.2 (+70) (Pg 20)

11 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

That has literally not been the rule of thumb for decades. Almost every blockbuster or intended big hit has a global marketing and distribution cost of $100 million-$175 million on top of the budget. As has been pointed out studios get back a bit less of the international gross, and only 25% of the Chinese gross.

Right, I forgot almost every movie had the same distribution budget

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

True, but at the same time, Sonic, regardless of your '06'eses and your Booms of the world, is a gaming icon, the face of Sega (one of the most recognizable Japanese game companies), and I'm pretty sure that his first few games of the Genesis are ones that pretty much any gaming audience must have some memory of (and that Sega will try to milk w/Sonic Mania later this year). The Sonic movie could do very well over there (provided it's anything close to good, and that Sony goes full Minions and blows its load w/the marketing... didn't work that bad for Angry Birds last year).

Wouldn't be shocked if Universal did everything in their power to release GO in OS markets now, after that opening. Not saying it'll happen, just saying they could do an effort for it.

Well, I hope for the best, I'm really a Sonic fan since the 90s and I can't wait for Sonic Mania!!!

• Like 1

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

True, but at the same time, Sonic, regardless of your '06'eses and your Booms of the world, is a gaming icon, the face of Sega (one of the most recognizable Japanese game companies), and I'm pretty sure that his first few games of the Genesis are ones that pretty much any gaming audience must have some memory of (and that Sega will try to milk w/Sonic Mania later this year). The Sonic movie could do very well over there (provided it's anything close to good, and that Sony goes full Minions and blows its load w/the marketing... didn't work that bad for Angry Birds last year).

Wouldn't be shocked if Universal did everything in their power to release GO in OS markets now, after that opening. Not saying it'll happen, just saying they could do an effort for it.

Universal won't try it. They would need to start the campaigns now which means the earlist possible release date would be late March/early April. Way too many big movies in there and they have their own blockbuster to focus on.

Just now, Fullbuster said:

Really???

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5052448/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_ov_inf

We know now it gets released in Australia/NZ in May as well but this is it.

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Universal won't try it. They would need to start the campaigns now which means the earlist possible release date would be late March/early April. Way too many big movies in there and they have their own blockbuster to focus on.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5052448/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_ov_inf

We know now it gets released in Australia/NZ in May as well but this is it.

Given it'll be profitable from domestic alone, Universal don't need to release it straight away in many markets plus I suspect it wouldn't be cost effective to release it against the March onslaught of films anyway. 

Edited by Jonwo

Just now, Krissykins said:

Hahahaha! That's hilarious, they'll be furious.

Source?  

I have read it on the Chinese thread. Apparently they get 12.5% of the gross starting at 100M. They really didn't expected this.

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Yes they will. That's why I said that Smallfoot's the one that needs to change. Larrikins won't be hurt by BP, nor will it hurt BP (at best, it'll take some of the family audience away, but not too badly, I think).

I wouldn't be surprised if Larrikins or Smallfoot moves to summer. 

Hadn't heard of Get Out before this weekend but that is a really impressive debut. Always good when a small film strikes gold.

although judging by a quick google it's a "horror film about racism"? lol I'll pass thanks

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I have read it on the Chinese thread. Apparently they get 12.5% of the gross starting at 100M. They really didn't expected this.

If Sony had released it themselves, it probably wouldn't have broken out. Apparently the Chinese distributor who bought the movie went all out with the marketing which enticed viewers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Larrikins or Smallfoot moves to summer. 

Where is the question? June either will get destroyed by TI2, July has either HT3 or Amusement Park, and August will have live action Disney film and maybe Amusement Park, April would be a nice spot or May 18th one of them could bully Laika out of there.

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Where is the question? June either will get destroyed by TI2, July has either HT3 or Amusement Park, and August will have live action Disney film and maybe Amusement Park, April would be a nice spot or May 18th one of them could bully Laika out of there.

May could work and Laika could go to August or October. April might be tricky for WAG as they'll sandwiched between two WB releases. I think Larrikins could go to June 1st, giving them a two week head start on TI2.

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

May could work and Laika could go to August or October. April might be tricky for WAG as they'll sandwiched between two WB releases. I think Larrikins could go to June 1st, giving them a two week head start on TI2.

The Animation slate is packed 2018:

Sherlock Gnomes opens 1/12/18

Smallfoot currently opens 2/9/18

Larrikins currently opens 2/16/18

WIR2 opens 3/9/18

Anubis currently opens 3/23/18

Peter Rabbit opens 3/23/18 (Sony ain't letting go of that spot)

Laika #5 opens 5/18/18

TI2 opens 6/15/18

Amusement Park and HT3 currently open on 7/13/18

S.C.O.O.B. and Goosebumps 2 currently open on 9/21/18

Grinch opens on 11/9/18

Gigantic opens on 11/21/18

Spidey opens on 12/21/18

Smallfoot could move to 1/26/18 or April/May

Anubis ain't happening

Larrikins is probably staying unless Boss Baby and Smurfs do $50M-$70M domestic

Amusement Park is heading towards August

SCOOB or Goosebumps is moving to October

26 minutes ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

Hadn't heard of Get Out before this weekend but that is a really impressive debut. Always good when a small film strikes gold.

although judging by a quick google it's a "horror film about racism"? lol I'll pass thanks

Whenever people wonder why more original films aren't getting made and studios tend to stick to sequels and remakes, posts like this are the exact reason why.  

• Like 17

Well this is one of those days where I am completely bummmed out by the loss of an actor. Yes it's true that 99% of us don't know these people and all we can go by is their work but from everything that I have ever read about Bill Paxton he was truly and genuinely a really good person. I've read it from everyone from Tom Hanks to Kevin Bacon to James Cameron to Gail anne Hurd to a plethora of other actors and worked with him. He was unquestionably my favorite actor perhaps of all time. The movie that he was in could be a shit film but his presence just made it that much better. Yesterday my dog of 17 years passed away and that crushed me....today my favorite actor of all time is gone.

RIP Bill Paxton.

• Like 23

49 minutes ago, baumer said:

Well this is one of those days where I am completely bummmed out by the loss of an actor. Yes it's true that 99% of us don't know these people and all we can go by is their work but from everything that I have ever read about Bill Paxton he was truly and genuinely a really good person. I've read it from everyone from Tom Hanks to Kevin Bacon to James Cameron to Gail anne Hurd to a plethora of other actors and worked with him. He was unquestionably my favorite actor perhaps of all time. The movie that he was in could be a shit film but his presence just made it that much better. Yesterday my dog of 17 years passed away and that crushed me....today my favorite actor of all time is gone.

RIP Bill Paxton.

The fact that I'm rewatching A.O.S. right now and was in the middle of his episodes and Titanic on AMC last night makes it hit even harder. The same happened with Paul Walker as I was watching TFAF on some tv channel the moment I heard he passed. 

Edited by Rman823
  • Like 2