Poseidon

Weekend Thread 2/24-26 | Sat #s |Get Out: 12.8 (+18%) Lego: 9.4 (+120%) Wick: 4.2 (+70) (Pg 20)

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

More good news for Get Out...there's no other wide release horror film til Alien Covenant in May.

Raw and The Belko Experiment will be minor releases. Belko is under BHTilt (Green Inferno, Darkness)

Belko should make $2-$4 million OW and around $6-$8 million domestic. Raw is unknown. Alien Covenant will debut with north of $50 million, and do $150 million domestic. 

It's kinda hard to take Box Office Mojo's worldwide ranks for a year that seriously when they still rank Your Name as a 2017 movie simply because "uhh, it's coming in the North Americas this year, uhh". Was it officially released in ANY territory to public audiences (festivals notwithstanding) during 2016? Yes? Then it's a 2016 movie.

I tend to either ignore those movies or just use Wikipedia for these things. As such:

1 The Lego Batman Movie Warner Bros $329,947,054
2 Fifty Shades Darker Universal $328,335,615
3 Kung Fu Yoga Huaxia et al. $246,383,269
4 Journey to the West: The Demons Strike Back Sony $244,544,850
5 Resident Evil: The Final Chapter Sony $238,549,830
6 xXx: Return of Xander Cage Paramount Pictures $226,006,578
7 Split Universal $221,243,355
8 Duckweed Huaxia / Shanghai Bona $143,771,980
9 John Wick: Chapter 2 Summit Entertainment $125,512,700
10 Buddies in India Maoyan / Enlight / Huaxia $108,214,776

Good fucking lord, look at that China domination :sarah:

Edited by MCKillswitch123

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

It's kinda hard to take Box Office Mojo's worldwide ranks for a year that seriously when they still rank Your Name as a 2017 movie simply because "uhh, it's coming in the North Americas this year, uhh". Was it officially released in ANY territory to public audiences (festivals notwithstanding) during 2016? Yes? Then it's a 2016 movie.

I tend to either ignore those movies or just use Wikipedia for these things. As such:

That number for LEGO Batman is super wrong.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

China has their biggest box office period at the start of the year with an almost 2 weeks of big box office in late Jan-Early Feb. This would be the typical chart every year at this time of year almost.

I think it's selling Get Out short to call it a horror movie "about" racism. Actually without spoiling anything it's really not much about racism compared to it just being a really good, trippy horror film. I just think it's underselling the movie to act like it's just an "issues movie" which it isn't at all. It's entirely enjoyable as mystery / horror entertainment. It was just a great movie! How do you say no thanks to a movie that 100% of critics liked?! It would be one thing if it was an obscure art house film and you think maybe critics are exaggerating but if anything they've never been especially in love with horror films so it should make that rating enough for you to at least watch the movie if you're any fan of film.

So far 2017 is awesome, I feel like sequels and movies I looked forward to like John Wick 2 and LEGO Batman are actually turning out great (versus 2016's Indepedence Day, Jack Reacher 2 was garbage, etc.), then surprise hits like Split and Get Out, and now Logan getting some fantastic reviews. It is looking promising for 2017 to be a great year at the movies!

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Goffe said:

I'm pretty sure Alien is doing less than 50m OW, maybe 40m even. Prometheus had fantastic marketing and barely crossed 50m.

Agreed. Alien is simply not as big a franchise as some people would like to believe. 

1 hour ago, Manchester by the Tree said:

Lego Batman numbers are still really pretty underwhelming. Another bad drop this weekend. Still hasn't even hit 100M overseas. Not gonna end up much higher than 300M worldwide.

It still has opened in China, Australia, and Japan and could come in higher for actuals domestic due to both SpongeBob and KFP3 having lighter drops on Oscar Sunday. LB will head towards the $360M-$410M range worldwide, impressive for a spinoff in the LCU.

LB is heading towards $180M-$190M domestic, which is about 75% of the first Lego Movie. 

With the current OS totals, it'll end with $160M-$170M. Australia should do about $25M, China will do $10M-$15M, and Japan should do about $2M-$5M.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, baumer said:

Well this is one of those days where I am completely bummmed out by the loss of an actor. Yes it's true that 99% of us don't know these people and all we can go by is their work but from everything that I have ever read about Bill Paxton he was truly and genuinely a really good person. I've read it from everyone from Tom Hanks to Kevin Bacon to James Cameron to Gail anne Hurd to a plethora of other actors and worked with him. He was unquestionably my favorite actor perhaps of all time. The movie that he was in could be a shit film but his presence just made it that much better. Yesterday my dog of 17 years passed away and that crushed me....today my favorite actor of all time is gone.

RIP Bill Paxton.

So sorry about your dog, Baumer. :( 

Bill Paxton was a fantastic actor.  He helped make Aliens more than a Sci-Fi horror flick and provided AoS some much need grounding and gravitas.  The news of his death is certainly a shock.  

• Like 4

RIP Bill Paxton

Too bad he didn't have a lot of lead characters. I always wondered why he didnt become a lead after Twister's success.

He did a fine job there, then he did also great performance in A simple plan. But never had another blockbuster as a lead.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Storks wasnt a success. 

WB didn't put an animated film in 4000 cinemas just to make $70m.

Under $200m for an animated movie, these days, is dreadful

Only if it's from Disney or Illumination. Other studios aren't held to that standard.

• Like 1