aabattery

Widows | 16th Nov, 2018 | Steve McQueen directs, Viola Davis, Elizabeth Debicki, Michelle Rodriguez and Cynthia Erivo to star as the widows | #FeaturesFarrell

10 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

My only point was that there isn’t a big enough sample size to judge WOM yet but sure I said that opinions from the UK dont count

why isn't there? I was reading through about 100 comments and I'd say 90% were negative. these are from your average day to day posters and not people involved in the movie industry. that's a pretty big sample, I don't think I'd have it in me to read more opinions 

Edited by Jessie

39 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

My only point was that there isn’t a big enough sample size to judge WOM yet but sure I said that opinions from the UK dont count

About 240,000 people went to see it in the UK between Friday and Sunday. That seems like a decent sample size, for anything. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

how many of those people went on Facebook/Twitter/any other social media to tweet their reactions?

why are you disregarding it? is it because you don't want to believe that people who have actually seen it wasn't so fond of it? I'm sure people liked it too, I was just relaying the info I saw, I didn't expect all this denial. I tend to look on Facebook comments for all movies and they tend to fall in line with the performance of the movie, for example Infinity War had nothing but positive reaction, Venom was mostly filled with people saying it was fun and now this. the fact they all complained about the same thing made it seem more valid to me but if you guys want to ignore it then go for it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jessie said:

why are you disregarding it? is it because you don't want to believe that people who have actually seen it wasn't so fond of it? I'm sure people liked it too, I was just relaying the info I saw, I didn't expect all this denial. I tend to look on Facebook comments for all movies and they tend to fall in line with the performance of the movie, for example Infinity War had nothing but positive reaction, Venom was mostly filled with people saying it was fun and now this. the fact they all complained about the same thing made it seem more valid to me but if you guys want to ignore it then go for it

It shouldn't be difficult to understand though, at the same time, that you reading a bunch of Facebook comments cannot be a credible factor of measuring word of mouth. Maybe the ones you stumbled upon were all negative by luck. Unless you read thousands of comments, and you measured that the negative ones were +80%.

17 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

It shouldn't be difficult to understand though, at the same time, that you reading a bunch of Facebook comments cannot be a credible factor of measuring word of mouth. Maybe the ones you stumbled upon were all negative by luck. Unless you read thousands of comments, and you measured that the negative ones were +80%.

Maybe. as I said I just stumbled across them comments and was surprised so relayed it. every other comment from now on may infact be positive but it all seem to come from people who were fans of the original version of it. I guess the British can be stubborn when it comes to America remaking their shows, look at the office

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Maybe. as I said I just stumbled across them comments and was surprised so relayed it. every other comment from now on may infact be positive but it all seem to come from people who were fans of the original version of it.

It's possible that comments were by fans of the show and people who expected more actiony movie based on bait and switch trailer than what they got (similar to how Drive was marketed as Fast&Furious 2.0 and ended up with bad WOM cause it was nothing like it). But unlike Drive this has awards buzz, so crowd that goes for prestige movies will close the gap opened by disappointed action fans, and significantly improve WOM. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

just found out viola's dog in this is the same dog that gets covered in blood in Game Night. what a great year that dog's having. two excellent dog performances.

Speaking of Dog acting, the dog actor in The Thing was crazy good:

On that one you need a dog that do not get distracted by the presence of a group of dog and still act:

On the commentary track they talk about it, how different and better than the other dog actor in the movie he was.

• Like 2

Reading the last few pages has made me glad I decided to cut back on my time here so I don't have to endure all the bullshit negative conjecture. Got a B Cinemascore which is nothing to sneeze at for an adult drama/thriller with minimal built-in audience.

Thought this was pretty great. Took awhile to get to the payoff but it's got a strong script and great performances.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Oscars should just open up a Best Performance by a Dog category. This year's got Olivia in both those movies and BCoop's in A Star is Born. And that little Yorkie in The Meg who was by far the only memorable part of that lame movie.

president pierce in the ballad of buster scruggs too. good dog year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Oscars should just open up a Best Performance by a Dog category. This year's got Olivia in both those movies and BCoop's in A Star is Born. And that little Yorkie in The Meg who was by far the only memorable part of that lame movie.

Surely it should be Best Performance by an animal to make sure we're not discriminating against other  animals.

• Like 1