CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I didn't called you politically correct. My point in the end is that the whole sexual harassment story shouldn't impact whether Casey wins or loses.  

Weird year? Donald Trump? Brexit? Are you sure? :ph34r: I watch CNN 2-3 times a week just to see what happened because every day something more stupid comes out of the White House.

I'm sure it won't have any affect, but my own personal rooting for Denzel is magnified by it. IDK, sexual assault is a bad thing and I, uh, don't like it when people do that nor do I want to cheer for them. But he'd be a better winner than alot of mediocre performances that have won lately, for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GiantCALBears said:

Here are you Oscars odds from PredictWise & Gold Derby. Truth is there aren't a lot of close races this year...

http://predictwise.com/entertainment/2017-oscars

https://www.google.com/amp/www.goldderby.com/article/2017/2017-oscar-predictions-best-picture-director-actor/amp/

They seem to be in line with the betting sites.

I trust betting sites more than insiders and experts, they have no personal bias, it's just about the money, which tends to motivate them to be accurate.

http://www.oddschecker.com/awards/oscars/best-actress

• Like 1

Matt Damon was good in the Martian. Not many actors can do movies solo and not many can both nail the dramatic and comedic aspects of a character like Mark Watney. Luckily Damon has considerable experience in both fields.

Sure he can't approach the GOAT of this, Tom Hanks, but it's not easy to do what Damon did.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

His Captain Fantastic performance is well fantastic - probably my favorite by him ever and my favorite in the category. 

Too bas he has no chance though I did like to see in that Hollywood Reporter Anon Oscar series 2 out of the 5 said they voted for him.

Eh, I just didn't go for Captain Fantastic as a movie at all. He's good in it, but that movie was annoying. In terms of Oscar nominated roles where Aragon goes full frontal, Eastern Promises still is king, for sure. 

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm sure it won't have any affect, but my own personal rooting for Denzel is magnified by it. IDK, sexual assault is a bad thing and I, uh, don't like it when people do that nor do I want to cheer for them. But he'd be a better winner than alot of mediocre performances that have won lately, for sure. 

Well, if you have any doubts, I don't like it either. 

• Like 2

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Hot take: Fassbender in MacBeth was the real deserving Fassy performance of 2015. 

i dug this movie but i thought the performance's were kinda hampered by the style applied to the flick. Fassbender/Cotillard forced to give every single line of the text w/ WHISPERED INTENSITY just makes it seem more like recitation. better adaptations have more variation there and the characters seem more like people kinda.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Imagine if Andrew Garfield emerges victorious (real person!) from the vote-splitting between Affleck and Washington and has to do press photos with Emma Stone afterwards. Awkward!

not really they've already taken pictures together at a bunch of events this season. going from interviews as well they still seem obsessed with each other like ethan and his ex (?) girlfriend.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i dug this movie but i thought the performance's were kinda hampered by the style applied to the flick. Fassbender/Cotillard forced to give every single line of the text w/ WHISPERED INTENSITY just makes it seem more like recitation. better adaptations have more variation there and the characters seem more like people kinda.

True. I think I still gave both of them Boffy noms that year, but I can see it. IDK, MacBeth really did stick with me. I enjoyed that movie a whole bunch. 

I think Michael B. Jordan in Creed not only deserved the Best Actor that year, but might be the best leading male performance since 2013. I think it just takes alot to make a very human, normal, non-showy protagonist into an iconic, radiating performance like that. I know I'm not the only Creed stan here, but I think Jordan is just as deserving of huge praise as Stallone, and Stallone was fantastic. 

Edited by Cmasterclay