CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

interesting to see which members are more uncomfortable with the gay stuff and which are more uncomfortable with the black stuff. fun!

This is just like election night. It's easy to weed out the bigots

Like look at all this salt, and I don't even have a dog in this fight

Feel bad for Lionsgate though. I see Oscars as blending critical acclaim with popular appeal. Film is public art after all. So you have La La Land, which has made $339 million and counting and which received the majority of the precursors losing to a film that has made $22 million WW. I have no real intense interest, but La La Land was better than Moonlight and simply more deserving. Unless a film is overwhelmingly critically better my philososphy is to go with the movie that connected with audiences. For example I thought The Revenant should have won last year. The Academy has a different view. 

Edited by straggler
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

honestly the fact that la la land lost in the most embarrassing fucking way imaginable is probably best case scenario for it. no backlash every one just feels sorry for them now.

its hard to rail against the film now.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, A24 has quickly risen to the top, no denying it. They are officially here to stay.

The small indies really have done well aware wise with Open Road winning Best Picture last year and A24 but it hurting the likes of Weinstein and Fox Searchlight 

Lionsgate despite the BP loss still had a great night with 6 wins for La La Land and Hacksaw Ridge combined. 

• Like 2

Just now, Merkel said:

Can you guys imagine how much more awkward it would've been if the Best Actress winner was from a movie that nobody expected to win Best Picture and somebody had to tell the underdogs off the stage?

Well, we already saw what happened at the Miss Universe show or whatever that was where Steve Harvey announced the wrong winner.