grey ghost

Do some movies DESERVE more box office success?

The "deserves" argument is pretty much just an extension of the "this movie ruled/sucked" debate. If you love a movie obviously you'll wish the creators were rewarded for it. Though if a movie's already in the black I don't get caught up in saying "it should've made more than (other movie)".

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 3

People see the movies that they want to see. Box Office is simply a popularity contest. It doesn't measure quality at all. That's what makes box office so enjoyable to follow. There is no real debate about a movie's quality. It is simply a gauge of what movies the most people were willing to pay to see in the movie theater.

If a movie truly deserved to make more in box office, then it'll make it when the movie is re-released. That's why I use adjusted for inflation numbers and include re-releases. A movie can always be re-released and continue to earn at the box office if people want to pay to see it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

People see the movies that they want to see. Box Office is simply a popularity contest. It doesn't measure quality at all. That's what makes box office so enjoyable to follow. There is no real debate about a movie's quality. It is simply a gauge of what movies the most people were willing to pay to see in the movie theater.

But there is still a W/L dynamic to how much a movie earns at the box office. If it flops, it likely means less creative opportunities for the filmmakers.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Personally, I think Edge of Tomorrow should've been seen by way more people and everyone involved should've been better rewarded for their efforts due to the success.

But what I'm realizing is a movie's success says less about the movie and more about the audience.

You could try to sell Picaso's to the school for the blind and make only 8 dollars. This just means the students can't fully appreciate the paintings (for whatever reason) not that there's anything wrong with them.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

But there is still a W/L dynamic to how much a movie earns at the box office. If it flops, it likely means less creative opportunities for the filmmakers.

There are always consequences to a movie's box office results. However, box office itself is a measure of popularity.

• Like 1

like already stated in here, deserve got nothing to do with it.

all movies make what they "deserve".  I get people would like movies they enjoy to make more (not entirely sure why, but that's for another thread lol),  but that has nothing to do with deserve.

• Like 1

Basically.... no. Not at all. 

I root for movies. And I root against movies. We all do. But like somebody else said, they all get what they deserve. Nobody has ever thought that box office is completely indicative of quality. Box office isn't granted by some higher power. It's earned and compiled. 

• Like 1