FlashMaster659

Mar 3-5 Weekend - Official Estimates - Logan 85.3m, Get Out 26.1m, Shack 16.1m, LEGO Bat 16.5, BIF 4.9m

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Deadpool and Logan's directors both had creative freedom.

Fox changed their approach earlier.

As if Matthew Vaughn & Bryan Singer were bothered when they made X-Men 4,5 & 6.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nova said:

Yup I agree. I have a feeling they're going with the R-rated $100M budget super hero movies now. Marvel isn't touching that with a ten foot pole. They've got that space all to themselves and if executed correctly they can change the narrative of Fox having to give the X-men rights to Disney Marvel. I do believe Fox is headed in the right direction in terms of their super hero universe. I'm really excited to see how they move forward with everything. 

What narrative? Only a certain portion of annoying fanboys think that. It's hardly a "narrative".

Anyways, not every single X-men movie fits a R rating. 

X-Force? Sure. The rest? Eh. New Mutants is YA, for example.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CJohn said:

If it wasn't obvious before, it is obvious now: FOX will turn to R movies only in the superhero genre. Nobody else is doing it. Marvel doesn't need it. I am damn curious about what DC will do, tho.

DC cannot do it for their marquee characters and franchises. BvS was the third highest selling toy merchandise of 2016 behind Trolls and Dory so they hanging on to those family accessible PG-13's. Fox cannot make money off X-Men merch so they can do whatever they want with the movie ratings.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 3

I still love Logan and gave a good grade, but the tone of the movie being somber makes me glad for the next CBM which will be funny and light-hearted coming soon called GOTG 2 .

Edited by chrisman0606
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

DC cannot do it for their marquee characters and franchises. BvS was the third highest selling toy merchandise of 2017 behind Trolls and Dory so they hanging on to those family accessible PG-13's. Fox cannot make money off X-Men merch so they can do whatever they want with the movie ratings.

Yeah and BvS cost the GDP of an African country.

This idea that 

R rating

implies

Creative freedom

implies 

good movie

is misguided, reductive & way too simple.

Sorry.

But I know I won't convince anybody on this.

Please continue the narrative that studio exectuvies are evil folks !

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

What an R Rating would bring to X-Force for example ?

Genuineliy curious about the opinion from comic book guys as I know nothing of this property excetp they are X-Men type guys and girls.

I don't think the R Rating is some sort of magic bullet for Marvel/Fox at all, it is not that simple IMO.

The X-Force is made up of so many characters with some of the most popular (now former members) being Deadpool, Wolverine, X-23, Cable, Domino Psylocke. For the same reasons why Deadpool and Wolverine benefited from being R-rated, so would the X-Force. These characters aren't PG or PG-13 characters. The X-Force: X-Force-1-cover.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chrisman0606 said:

I still love Logan and gave a good grade, but the tone of the movie being somber makes me glad the for the next CBM which will be funny and light-hearted coming soon called GOTG 2 .

I also prefer light-hearted movies :)

4 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Genuineliy curious about the opinion from comic book guys as I know nothing of this property excetp they are X-Men type guys and girls.

I don't think the R Rating is some sort of magic bullet for Marvel/Fox at all, it is not that simple IMO.

Yeah it really depends on the characters or content they are working on. although I'm sure there are great storylines for most superheroes they could merit an R rating. I do feel like DC could seriously consdieing doing an R rated Suicide Sqaud sequel, especially if they do get Mel Gibson to direct it. 

I don't know why people are saying Deadpool 2 can't have a $150m budget though, the first one made over $750m dollars, it can get away with a bigger budget. it will probably be closer to $100m though.

• Like 2

It's definitely interesting that of all the big studios, Fox is the one taking the most creative risks with its SH movies. Fox! Sure, you could argue they have the least to lose, but that's not how execs usually see things.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

What narrative? Only a certain portion of annoying fanboys think that. It's hardly a "narrative".

Anyways, not every single X-men movie fits a R rating. 

X-Force? Sure. The rest? Eh. New Mutants is YA, for example.

Ehh I've read one too many articles from folks who think this. I don't agree with it and never once thought Fox needed to give anything back. And of course not everything will be R-rated. The point though is that it's their space now. They have the characters that can work with that R-rating and without spending a shit ton of money on it too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

DC cannot do it for their marquee characters and franchises. BvS was the third highest selling toy merchandise of 2016 behind Trolls and Dory so they hanging on to those family accessible PG-13's. Fox cannot make money off X-Men merch so they can do whatever they want with the movie ratings.

Suicide Squad was rated 15 in the UK which is the equivalent to an R but I suspect that was more to with violence as the BBFC are way more strict on it. I could see SS2 being R rated, possibly Gotham City Sirens and maybe Dark Universe but anything else is a no no but WB/DC has the Vertigo line for more mature content.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Genuinely curious about the opinion from comic book guys as I know nothing of this property except  they are X-Men type guys and girls.

All I know about the recent X-Force stuff is that they're a black ops version of the X-men.

So an R-rating would be appropriate though not as essential as it was for Deadpool or Wolverine.

3 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Snyder seemed to get away with turning Batman into a nihilistic, murderous dickhead for a PG-13 movie, so I'm not sure how much the character needs an R-rated movie anyway.

Certain Batman stories like The Killing Joke and The Dark Knight Returns needed to be higher rated but most Batman stories can get away with the PG-13 rating.