FlashMaster659

Mar 3-5 Weekend - Official Estimates - Logan 85.3m, Get Out 26.1m, Shack 16.1m, LEGO Bat 16.5, BIF 4.9m

3 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Worth mentioning that Fox don't have merch rights for their Marvel characters so they'd be less interested than other studios in making movies that appeal to kids.

Which is funny to me because in the last year or so I've seen way more Deadpool

merchandise via hats, cups, mugs, shirts etc than I'd ever seen before (obviously cause a movie came out and it was extremely popular) and all I kept thinking was like damn but Fox doesn't even make any money off of this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Yeah and BvS cost the GDP of an African country.

This idea that 

R rating

implies

Creative freedom

implies 

good movie

is misguided, reductive & way too simple.

Sorry.

But I know I won't convince anybody on this.

Please continue the narrative that studio exectuvies are evil folks !

Whose

idea

is

"this idea"?

What narrative?

:winomg:

Whose narrative?

:wintf:

You

need

help!

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I enjoyed Ant-man but it's still hard to believe it joined the "superhero movies with a 3x multiplier" club.

Not really. It's a super charming, re-watchable movie with instantly likable characters and the little girl stole hearts. Also, cute SFX and finale that felt fresh unlike overlong overdrawn SFX building smash that has become a staple for blockbusters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Harris said:

Great number for LOGAN. But I'm not convinced that WOM is going to be as strong as some of you on here are. I was at a packed 7 pm showing Thursday night, and there was stone silence when the movie ended. I've gone to many, many Thursday "previews" of superhero flicks, and that's a very rare occurrence. These are fans who've made an effort to see the movie as soon as possible (like me and my son did), and not one of them was compelled to applaud at the end. Sure, the movie doesn't exactly end on a "let's start cheering and clapping" note, but a smattering of applause is kind of the minimum norm at these earliest showings, regardless. And the folks I overheard outside the theater didn't seem particularly jazzed about it.

While the film had a lot of things going for it, I found the dour atmosphere of the film just weighed on me throughout, and it's one of the few Marvel flicks that I don't feel the least bit compelled to go see again on the big screen. I just don't think LOGAN is a big crowd-pleaser, and I suspect it will see a pretty big drop after this nice OW.

I agree 100%. Also, it's worth noting that I can see some crazy parents taking their kids to Deadpool, as it is still a raunchy kids movie, basically. But this...is not for kids at all.

What went wrong with Apocalypse is the need to introduce and kill paper thin female relatives of Magneto for the third time coz manpain is greater than focusing more on the teen superheroine who ends up eviscerating the titular character like its no big deal.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Not really. It's a super charming, re-watchable movie with instantly likable characters and the little girl stole hearts. Also, cute SFX and finale that felt fresh unlike overlong overdrawn SFX building smash that has become a staple for blockbusters.

I think Ant-man underperformed OW.

That plus suprisingly effective humor and SFX allowed it to have unusually good WOM.

• Like 1

So headed for 200m+ DOM and 600m+ WW on a 100m budget. And that critic response. Epic win for all involved and a great goodbye of Hugh's Wolverine, one of the most iconic characters of the century.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I think Ant-man underperformed OW.

That plus suprisingly effective humor and SFX allowed it to have unusually good WOM.

Agreed. OW was definitely troubling considering the budget. But WOM kicked in and it had a really strong showing in Asia though not so much in Europe. 

• Like 1

On Friday, March 03, 2017 at 11:29 PM, picores said:

So headed for 200m+ DOM and 600m+ WW on a 100m budget. And that critic response. Epic win for all involved and a great goodbye of Hugh's Wolverine, one of the most iconic characters of the century.

There are no good byes until death. eg Rocky, Die hard. Indy Terminator etc. He'll be back in 5 years in Deadpool vs Wolverine. 

maxresdefault.jpg

49 minutes ago, POTUS said:

There are no good byes until death. eg Rocky, Die hard. Indy Terminator etc. He'll be back in 5 years in Deadpool vs Wolverine. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Spoiler

Fun fact... he dies in the movie. 

MAJOR SPOILERS IN THAT SPOILER TAG DO NOT CLICK IT.

I saw it last night like many of you. I highly enjoyed it for a number of reasons. 

One of those reasons may work for/against it: the dark somber tone. 

It was refreshing cause we haven't really had that in a CBM since Batman Begins or TDK, TDKR was Nolan's most "traditional" superhero movie for Batman.

Like those Nolan Batman films that I like I don't rewatch them often because of that. I didn't do multiple viewings in the theater nor will I do so with Logan despite telling you it should be seen at least once on the big screen. Why? Reason #2, new comer Dafne Keen. 

Great OW here we come Hugh!!

Fox, I see your Fantastic Four reboot pathway now....R rate that second reboot. ;)

Edited by Captain Craig
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Come on people, don't be so naive and basic, the world cannot be so black and white.

Studio interference is such a stupid expression to begin with.

Because yes, when studio executives wake up in the morning, their only goal is to bother & annoy filmmakers so they can release on 4000 screens crap films that will get terrible reviews.

That sounds like such a sound business plan.

Of course !

Blockbuster A was good : Director was amazing an had no studio interference. Yay !

Blockbuster B was Bad : It s all because of the suits ! Burn them ! Director couldn't put his vision on screen.

Shades of Grey, ever heard of them ?

Origins absolutely had studio interference. To try and say otherwise, well, Google is your friend. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Last Man Standing said:

Worth mentioning that Fox don't have merch rights for their Marvel characters so they'd be less interested than other studios in making movies that appeal to kids.

This is inaccurate. Fox gets a percentage of merchandise sales from X-Men and Fantastic Four. It's partly why Marvel's trying to get less merchandise of these two franchises.