DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

Days of Future Pants did 32m on its 2nd weekend so it looks like Logan's legs will be more or less the same if that 35m projection ends up correct.  

Looks like Logan won't avoid the X-Men curse at the BO even though its a drastic departure from the other movies.  I really wonder why the X-Men movies never make as much as Spider-man, MCU, or DCU movies... it is because the franchise started out a bit more intelligent than all those?  Do people just think of X-Men as "those civil rights movies" ?

Edited by Ozymandias

6 minutes ago, Truckasaurus said:
TW LW Title (Click to view) Studio Weekly Gross % Change Theater Count / Change Average Total Gross Budget* Week #
1 N Logan Fox $114,806,733 - 4,071 - $28,201 $114,806,733 $97 1
2 1 Get Out Uni. $40,138,205 -19.5% 2,938 +157 $13,662 $89,981,845 $4.5 2
3 N The Shack LG/S $22,218,691 - 2,888 - $7,693 $22,218,691 - 1
4 66 The Comedian SPC $14,914,277 +111,634.2% 3 -27 $4,971,426 $16,565,534 - 13
5 2 The LEGO Batman Movie WB $14,221,859 -38.1% 3,656 -401 $3,890 $151,203,660 $80 4

Robert DeNiro, box-office superstar!

Dat theater average :ohmyzod:

Somebody's been getting drunk at work.

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Days of Future Pants did 32m on its 2nd weekend so it looks like Logan's legs will be more or less the same if that 35m projection ends up correct.  

Looks like Logan won't avoid the X-Men curse at the BO even though its a drastic departure from the other movies.  I really wonder why the X-Men movies never make as much as Spider-man, MCU, or DCU movies... it is because the franchise started out a bit more intelligent than all those?  Do people just think of X-Men as "those civil rights movies" ?

Well DOFP did make over 700 m WW which is Cap 2 and GOTG territory.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Hmmmm Xmen those civil rights movie,  I think a civil rights movie would love to even sniff 200 mil

9 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I think it has to do with them having a reputation of being more serious(less jokes and so on) than the other Marvel movies and the core audience being older because they came much earlier than the MCU. Younger kids who are into the MCU don't care as much about the X-men movies because of the franchise's age and this perception of them being geared towards an older audience.

Logan won't really change that perception.

X Men 2 (2003) & X Men 3 (2006) were very big and did way better than lots of MCU films, don't forget inflation and the growing OS markets of the last 10-15 years.

Also, in that time, those films were lonely, you had 2-3 superhero movies a year, not 6.

• Like 1

Just remember, Logan is not a pg-13 movie like the previous X-Men movies. It's a brutal R rated movie, full of gore and deaths. It's not meant to be a funny movie. It's also not being released in 3D, unlike most of MCU movies and even some X-Men movies.

I think you guys shouldn't compare its legs to X-Men movies, in that regard. Kids and children definitely aren't seeing Logan. Perhaps you should compare it to Deadpool's legs.

Even the budgets are different. Logan has a 97 million budget, while DOFP had a 200 million budget and Apocalypse had a 178 million budget. 

Edited by Blaze Heatnix
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

If you look at the X-Men movies inflated they actually made a large amount of money.

X-Men- 87.4M/252.4M

X2- 122.7M/308.3M

X3- 135.7M/309.5M

8 minutes ago, Hiccup21 said:

If you look at the X-Men movies inflated they actually made a large amount of money.

X-Men- 87.4M/252.4M

X2- 122.7M/308.3M

X3- 135.7M/309.5M

Spider-man adjusted: 601m

Spider-man 2 adjusted: 520m

Spider-man 3 adjusted: 423m

Iron Man adjusted: 383m

Batman Begins adjusted: 277m (and this was coming off of Batman and Robin)

Even terrible movies like BVS and SS in an oversaturated CBM market are easily making over 300m right now.

Edited by Ozymandias

12 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Damn, fantastic box office performance for The Comedian.  This is truly a TFA-level hit.  14M from only 3 theaters?  Imagine how packed it would've been in 4,000!

18.6 billion to be precise

• Like 1

Apropos Logan: That movie is brutal, depressing and in a way anti-superheroic. Its whole selling point is that Wolverine and Professor X are old, dying and in a very sorry state. Hell, the entire X-Men have been *literally* wiped out. Also, it's totally unsuited to children or to people who want their SH movies to follow the familiar formula (which is many more than you think) I went with a friend the other day to watch Logan, and he was livid that Professor X was presented as so frail and even pathetic in that movie. He expected to see the Professor of old who was in control of everything. He was also shocked: "Why is Wolverine limping?" etc etc etc. Thrice during the film he turned to me and said: "This movie is so depressing" once he told me: "I have my own depressing problems, now the movies make me feel even worse" I'm not joking or exaggerating. 

Deadpool, which is the movie many of us are comparing this with, on the contrary was funny, fun, full of jokes and entertainment. The violence was used mostly for shock-value and even for laughs. Logan may be too mature and too "alternative" for large sections of the audience. 

Kong seems to be doing merely OK, considering the budget and spectacle of this movie, something more was to be expected. Also, it had good reviews (a bit better than Godzilla)