DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I'm not sure why people were expecting great legs for Logan after a large OW?  It's a serious fan-centric movie that doesn't have much appeal to people who didn't already like the brand.

Because people were supposed to hear about how god mangold has come to save the superhero genre

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Nova said:

So I know this is completely random but I'm over the moon right now because I officially believe in karma now. Just last week a teammate of mine's mom passed away from cancer and she's one of six kids. Their father isn't really present so there's a fund for the younger kids for college. I donated $500 and at the time my mom told me that I need to be smarter with my money because I don't make much and I'll be starting medical school in the fall. Well I serve on the weekends so I can save up for medical school and today one of my tables left me $500 on a $100 check. I can't believe it. I'm just in shock. It's the same amount too. I'm considering donating it as well. 

Synchronicity kicks in when doing good things.  

Critics didn't like "pay it forward". I thought it was a fine movie.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, POTUS said:

Synchronicity kicks in when doing good things.  

Critics didn't like "pay it forward". I thought it was a fine movie.

My math teacher showed us that movie in high school. I actually enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Logan may be brutal and anti-superheroic, but unlike the other X-Men movies its not primarily an allegory for racism or homophobia with Charles as MLK and Magneto as Malcom X, its still there but its pushed way to the side.   Its basically a modern scifi western with other things on its mind and I thought maybe that would make it have better legs than you're typical X-Men movie, guess not.

On a side note I ALWAYS hated this comparison ESPECIALLY after reading Malcolm X's autobiography lmao. The comparison implies a complete misunderstanding of who Malcolm X is and who Magneto is. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

So I know this is completely random but I'm over the moon right now because I officially believe in karma now. Just last week a teammate of mine's mom passed away from cancer and she's one of six kids. Their father isn't really present so there's a fund for the younger kids for college. I donated $500 and at the time my mom told me that I need to be smarter with my money because I don't make much and I'll be starting medical school in the fall. Well I serve on the weekends so I can save up for medical school and today one of my tables left me $500 on a $100 check. I can't believe it. I'm just in shock. It's the same amount too. I'm considering donating it as well. 

So, the way I see it, the universe just told you that you did a really good thing and that you're a good person. And it decided to karmicly reward you for it.

What I'd do now is go over your finances. Is mom right? You cant be sure the universe will do that again, so be tough and figure out how bad it will be financially (and knowing plenty of doctors, I'd say it'll be bad). If you can afford it, and you feel its the right thing to do, donate the second $500 as well and feel good about it.

But if your finances are a little too shaky, its ok to not donate again. Yes, its a tragedy, and you feel guilty, but don't forget that you've already helped enormously. It would be great to be able to save the day yourself, but you're not Bill Gates and you're about to take on your own huge financial burden. Don't let trying to help others force you into a place where YOU need to be helped.

And finalky, try not to stress over the decision. The universe already told you that you're a good person. After thinking over your finances, whether you donate more or don't, either way it will have been the right decision and you should be at peace with it.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Wrath said:

So, the way I see it, the universe just told you that you did a really good thing and that you're a good person. And it decided to karmicly reward you for it.

What I'd do now is go over your finances. Is mom right? You cant be sure the universe will do that again, so be tough and figure out how bad it will be financially (and knowing plenty of doctors, I'd say it'll be bad). If you can afford it, and you feel its the right thing to do, donate the second $500 as well and feel good about it.

But if your finances are a little too shaky, its ok to not donate again. Yes, its a tragedy, and you feel guilty, but don't forget that you've already helped enormously. It would be great to be able to save the day yourself, but you're not Bill Gates and you're about to take on your own huge financial burden. Don't let trying to help others force you into a place where YOU need to be helped.

And finalky, try not to stress over the decision. The universe already told you that you're a good person. After thinking over your finances, whether you donate more or don't, either way it will have been the right decision and you should be at peace with it.

Thank you so much for this. I've actually been contemplating what I should do since it happened but I'm definitely going to do what you recommended and think this through. Paying it forward is something to think about and even if it's not in the same way as before (a donation) I'll definitely do something. I'm definitely thinking it over though now so I appreciate you taking the time to write this out. It's always nice to get another person's perspective...not for influence or anything but to give me a chance to actually think things over. 

I guess it's just bizarre to me how the world works sometimes and that's where a lot of my shock came from.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

On a side note I ALWAYS hated this comparison ESPECIALLY after reading Malcolm X's autobiography lmao. The comparison implies a complete misunderstanding of who Malcolm X is and who Magneto is. 

How so?

Magneto's parents were victims of the holocaust.

Malcolm X's parents were victims of white supremacy.

Magneto wanted to keep mutants seperate and claim supremacy.

Ditto for Malcolm X.

Does every detail of Malcolm X's life need to be reflected in the comics for the allegory to stay relevant and thought provoking?

Not really.

Edited by grey ghost