DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

Just now, AABATTERY said:

I honestly think the WB team are the best in the business when it comes to marketing. They are really, really good at getting butts in seats. They got BvS that giant OW, made Tarzan not completely flop, made Suicide Squad a huge success and now Kong is surpassing all of our expectations. WB is doing quite nicely for themselves lately, IMO.

One of their key people is a marketing genius. Until recently she was the one who greenlit movies.

https://www.warnerbros.com/studio/executives/sue-kroll

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, AABATTERY said:

I honestly think the WB team are the best in the business when it comes to marketing. They are really, really good at getting butts in seats. They got BvS that giant OW, made Tarzan not completely flop, made Suicide Squad a huge success and now Kong is surpassing all of our expectations. WB is doing quite nicely for themselves lately, IMO.

Next up - King Arthur over 50M OW

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I enjoyed Kong, and would probably see it again as well as recommend it to most people. However, mostly during the last act, it took its plot (which was nice and simplistic at first) too far and should have just stayed on the nice linear path it was on. A few really really dopey scenes however, but were made up for by some of the coolest action I've seen in a while. 6.7/10 

Its also playing "sorta" like a family movie at my theatre, and I expect it is elsewhere too. High volume of tickets are parents with their kids, or grandparents with grandkids. Matinees are strong and so are early evening shows. But the late night showings are somewhat more muted than I expected.

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

I enjoyed Kong, and would probably see it again as well as recommend it to most people. However, mostly during the last act, it took its plot (which was nice and simplistic at first) too far and should have just stayed on the nice linear path it was on. A few really really dopey scenes however, but were made up for by some of the coolest action I've seen in a while. 6.7/10 

Its also playing "sorta" like a family movie at my theatre, and I expect it is elsewhere too. High volume of tickets are parents with their kids, or grandparents with grandkids. Matinees are strong and so are early evening shows. But the late night showings are somewhat more muted than I expected.

Rly? Interesting. At mine our 10 PM IMAX sold incredibly well.

• Like 1

Just now, Mulder said:

Rly? Interesting. At mine our 10 PM IMAX sold incredibly well.

Smaller town, also our 10PM isn't any kind of special showing. Just regular 2D, not really any incentive to see it unless you really don't want to pay for 3D, but also mitigated by the late start time.

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Smaller town, also our 10PM isn't any kind of special showing. Just regular 2D, not really any incentive to see it unless you really don't want to pay for 3D, but also mitigated by the late start time.

Makes sense. Our theater is pretty big.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

It is odd to think the East coast is four hours ahead of West right now.

The West Coast here doesn't have daylight savings so all summer they're 3 hours behind instead of 2 hours. 

Saw the shack with my mum cause she wanted to. Didn't hate it, wasn't terrible by any means. And Sam Worthington really out-acted the materiel. Between this and Hacksaw, I really respect the dude as an actor.

3 minutes ago, YSLDC said:

Wow, Deadline is shitting on Kong even with the 60m weekend (Because of the budget and marketing costs). Imagine if it was 40m like projected.

Yeh, unfair that they've just used Godzillas global P&A estimate from their article yesterday and given it to Kong. 

Summer releases are more expensive. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YSLDC said:

Wow, Deadline is shitting on Kong even with the 60m weekend (Because of the budget and marketing costs). Imagine if it was 40m like projected.

They are probably too lazy to rewrite all the post-mortem draft articles they had before the weekend. It has become such an awful site, I'm glad I no longer have to rely on them for advance BO news, since I found this place.

• Like 6