grim22

Skyscraper | July 13 2018 | Legendary | Rawson Marshall Thurber directing. The Rock. China co-production, set in China.

I’ve actuslly turned my opinion around on The Rock lol

He can only play himself and he’s a bit oversaturated at the moment but he seems to be very interested in the box office and he chooses interesting people to star in some of his films, Daddario, Efron, Gal, Neve. 

Maybe its just goodwill cause I enjoyed Jumanji after hating Baywatch and skipped Rampage lol 

I’ll see this though.

1 hour ago, StevenG said:

Always happen with successful actors.

Seems like a lot of people are already tired of the Rock and want him to fail.

What I don't get is that he seems like a perfectly sweet guy whose head has not swelled due to his success. He has a nice guy rep, and he seems to be a very hard-working dude...and yet people hate on him like he is Christian Bale or something.

WTF?

Seriously, sometimes he can be a tad obnoxious but that's no different than anyone else. 

I'll save my ill wishes for people who beat parters and use racist language, plenty of those in Hollywood.

Edited by Morieris
*eyes FBTCOG thread*
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jay Beezy said:

He has a problem with overhyping, IMO.

Overhyping his films?

Well, isn't that what actors get paid for, especially supestars? If they are paid 20 million dollars for a mega-million would be- blockbuster, I feel that part of the deal includes selling it and getting people hyped up.

If I were paid 20 million dollars for 6 months of work on a set, hell yeah I would overhype the hell out of the film I'm making. :D

3 hours ago, StevenG said:

Always happen with successful actors.

Seems like a lot of people are already tired of the Rock and want him to fail.

What I don't get is that he seems like a perfectly sweet guy whose head has not swelled due to his success. He has a nice guy rep, and he seems to be a very hard-working dude...and yet people hate on him like he is Christian Bale or something.

WTF?

Not sure why one should care about a director or actor personality much if at all (seem like an American thing), but in order of importance of a successful actor with large green light power:

1) Type of movie they make greenlight happen.

2) Type of budget to which director and how much power in their hands they receive

267) Being a nice guy.

Very selfish, but movie star existing is only a piece of conversation that make sense in which movie exist because they do versus if they would not.

No ?

Has for Dwayne Johnson, he is giving quite nice budget to filmmaker right now, to movie that would not exist at least at those scale, with Rampage and this (his first 2 movie that he seem really fully in charge, Red Notice being the next one) and he seem doing a throwback fun/simple high spectacle movies that I have yet to watch but have their place, so good for him and those type of movie fanbase.

Has for the  whose head has not swelled due to his success. part, that sound almost impossible, maybe because that amount of giant success came late enough, but how would one try to judge something like this:

1) Quality of the roles is co-star get to have on is project

2) Does is project feel like the director movie or is movie

3) If he accept to work with an establish co-star does it turn out in ego war to the point they cannot shoot together and split the franchise....

4) Everytime he make a movie does it feel like Will Smith extremely swelled head era, trying to be the biggest live action non franchise movie of the year ?

5) Does he gloat about stuff like is box office ?

He certainly feel like he is being realistic (took so many decade of work to achieve it helping), but it must be impossible for an human to not have an high ego at this point.

Edited by Barnack

2 hours ago, StevenG said:

Overhyping his films?

Well, isn't that what actors get paid for, especially supestars? If they are paid 20 million dollars for a mega-million would be- blockbuster, I feel that part of the deal includes selling it and getting people hyped up.

If I were paid 20 million dollars for 6 months of work on a set, hell yeah I would overhype the hell out of the film I'm making. :D

You get paid to hype your films, yes. But hyping films up to be something their not to an extensive degree is counterproductive.

18 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Reviews are about as good as could have been reasonably expected for this kind of movie. Might play well with its target audience, though that's looking to be a rather small audience. 

With that director first action movie, looking at what he did in the pass pretty much, should not make people move their prediction needle on way or an other, most have predicted that reception I imagine.

• Like 1

58% with 24 reviews

Critcs consensus,

Well-cast yet derivative, Skyscraper isn't exactly a towering action thriller feat, but it's solidly constructed enough to stand among the genre's more mildly diverting features.

AKA "Its stupid"

1 minute ago, AndyK said:

58% with 24 reviews

Critcs consensus,

Well-cast yet derivative, Skyscraper isn't exactly a towering action thriller feat, but it's solidly constructed enough to stand among the genre's more mildly diverting features.

AKA "Its stupid"

how the heck did they reach a consensus  so fast? shouldn't more reviews be posted?

9 minutes ago, AndyK said:

58% with 24 reviews

Critcs consensus,

AKA "Its stupid"

With the amount of sly puns in there you can tell whoever wrote this was struggling.

• Like 1