grim22

Skyscraper | July 13 2018 | Legendary | Rawson Marshall Thurber directing. The Rock. China co-production, set in China.

On 7/14/2018 at 10:37 PM, Yandereprime101189 said:

I don't think he's ever going to live down the scene where he's hopping on one leg to kick that one guy's ass. It's not really played for laughs, but the audience just went into hysterics.

You had enough people in your showing to get that kind of reaction?

There were about 10 people, maybe less, in my showing. Hysterics? Sounds like a hyperbole post.

5 hours ago, Barnack said:

Even for the China heavy performance ?

Warcraft for example.

If it is true that they are not getting anything from the ancillary market for it in China, a $105m box office there is "just" 25m or so in revenues for them after expense. That is so for far from the revenues of doing 100m say domestic.

Has for the secondary market covering the 100m or so marketing cost, maybe.

Speaking of China, Hollywood studio execs very worried that the tariff/trade war will spread to the entertainment industry, with bad consequences.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Heat Vision said:

Please tell me The Rock didn't claim on Instagram this will do profit after 200 million 😂😂😂

He didn't said that, if people are referring to is last post:

Our film will cross $200M this coming weekend and eventually become profitable for all investors - and that’s all that matters in the end game. 
Sorry MAMA MIA 2 and EQUALIZER 2, thank you both for the fight, but there can only be one #1. 
Now of course, I’m preparing to take a right cross KO to face this weekend by Tom’s Mission Impossible 😂😂 but hey, BRING IT ON, because I live and love to compete. 
THANK YOU FANS WORLDWIDE for making us #1. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

The Rock probably understands the business side of movies better than the vast majority of actors. You listen to some interviews or podcasts and most seem to think that a movie is profitable if WW > Budget.

Actor that are active on the producing side or just get back end point in a vast array of different type of movies probably are in quite the different category in that aspect than others.

Johnson is particularly involved and obsessed with the business side for sure and probably know quite well the retention rate by market, prints & ads cost by market, etc.... the tv / netflix deal and all of it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I get a chuckle out of the Rock engaging publicly im box office wars. I thought such a thing was reserved for box office nerds like us!

It got so big in term of media coverage of the industry now and many of is reporting/commentor online must sound so bad for someone really in the know (if often does for us, imagine for him), must be hard to not want to correct people about it.

Specially when so much of your persona and defining has a person is about being ultra successful and beloved.

You wonder, more and more...is The Rock playing with a full deck 🤣?! His bombs, to him, are worldwide blockbusters...

Yeah, Skyscraper was technically #1 in the world this week...but it wasn't because the world all of a sudden started digging Skyscraper 🤣. It happened to open in the 2nd biggest market in the world in its second week, China. 

To him, Baywatch was a success...Jumanji is worded like it's the highest grossing Sony film ever, when it is in fact Skyfall. 

Theres some delusional psycho-narcissist thing going on in his head. Not a GRAIN of humility. 

He's subtly cyber bullying the critics 🤣. The ones that praise him are given the red carpet VIP treatment on his social media. They are "trained" to write positive. The ones that are CRITICAL if him are targeted and shamed. 

He needs some serious couch time 🤣

Edited by OdinSon2k14

You seem to understand is strategy quite well but at the same time thinking it is not one.

5 minutes ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

.Jumanji is worded like it's the highest grossing Sony film ever

He said biggest domestic ever: " “You guys officially made Jumanji Sony's biggest domestic movie ever."

Unadjusted it seem accurate:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?studio=sony.htm

7 minutes ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

His bombs, to him, are worldwide blockbusters...

Does he have a bomb yet post Fast five release ?

34 minutes ago, Barnack said:

You seem to understand is strategy quite well but at the same time thinking it is not one.

He said biggest domestic ever: " “You guys officially made Jumanji Sony's biggest domestic movie ever."

Unadjusted it seem accurate:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?studio=sony.htm

Does he have a bomb yet post Fast five release ?

Baywatch

Just now, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Baywatch

Outside something I does not know, that movie made more than 2.5 time it's rumored budget

Baywatch

Production Budget: $69 million

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $58,060,186    32.6%
Foreign:  $119,796,565    67.4%

Worldwide:  $177,856,751  

With no China box office here, so far from a bomb that it would not surprise me if it turned a little profit.

• Thanks 1

It seems like this movie does not get too much love. Something I don't understand. 

Maybe you should switch off/on your computer. That helps in 90% of all cases. :sparta:

We've been to the movies yesterday (we also have a kind of cheap tuesday in Germany) and gave "Skyscraper" a try. I like "Die Hard", I like me a good action movie, I ADORE Neve Campbell (such a beautiful talented lady) and I also...well...I can not say I "like" Dwayne Johnson. I think he is better than many people want him to be but he is not a reason for me to watch a movie. 

The movie was fine and will find a place on my shelf it they do a nice Blu Ray steelbook for it. "Skyscraper" is 100 minutes well paced and entertaining, sometimes ridicolous, of course (don't talk about that ending) but I didn't mind as I cared for the characters, The visuals were stunning as well.

The only really shitty thing about it was the 3D. I mean, who did this? Thank God I was there on cheap tuesday where they only charge an extra 1 € for it. On weekends they add 4 € (!) to a 3D ticket and that would have been ridicolous. The 3D added NOTHING.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AndyK said:

When actors drone on about box office, it diminishes their status as actors.

In fairness to The Rock, nobody is ever going to compare him as an actor to Dustin Hoffman or Sidney Poitier. Box office is his claim to fame, so he might as well tout it, it's made him one of the biggest stars in the world.

As for Skyscraper, it was pretty lame as a film, worse then Rampage. Completely predictable and bland, which is why it's not setting the box office on fire. But it's not terrible either. Call it  a 3 or 4 or out of 10.

rock's post don't seem that knowledgable about bo. being a producer he obviously is more knowledable than most of us but that doesn't reflect in his posts which are misleading and insecure. would love to set  up a chat between rock and @barnack.