franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

On 10/3/2018 at 10:13 AM, MCKillswitch123 said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this 3rd movie never happens. This franchise was/is James Gunn's baby, and regardless of the fact that what seems to be plenty of people see the Gunn firing as a mistake - though obviously with the benefit of hindsight - Disney will probably never let up about their decision.

The Avengers was Whedon's and Iron Man was Favraeu's and yet....

As for Guardians being all Gunn's baby... even if we ignore pre-existing comic material 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/08/04/guardians_of_the_galaxy_co_writer_nicole_perlman_vs_director_james_gunn.html

• Like 5

9 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

The Avengers was Whedon's and Iron Man was Favraeu's and yet....

As for Guardians being all Gunn's baby... even if we ignore pre-existing comic material 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/08/04/guardians_of_the_galaxy_co_writer_nicole_perlman_vs_director_james_gunn.html

Agree wholeheartedly.

He ~ stated at first that nothing of her remained, but there were examples given that showed about at least some remained even then.

Later he said parts of her script were still there...

I think he has no feeling for how much he used her script as a foundation, and overestimates his dialog part and additinal details as a nearly 100% thing of the overall impact, not realising additional does not mean 100%

And no matter how much I love GotG 1, even in that part were slight details I didn't like what he did with especially Gamora's parts, Mantis in Avengers was way more Mantis than in GotG 2 where I did not like all about what he chose to create for the female character's details, as in I can see the missing influence of someone else, the little details I didn't like in part 1 getting stronger a lot.

• Like 3

Just give this to the Russo brothers and get it over with.  No fanboy will complain, no critic will complain and people will show up and make this a billion grosser. (Which was like the easiest franchise to pull 1b after IW, Disney really shot itself in the foot with this "controversy")

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2018 at 8:39 AM, terrestrial said:

Agree wholeheartedly.

He ~ stated at first that nothing of her remained, but there were examples given that showed about at least some remained even then.

Later he said parts of her script were still there...

I think he has no feeling for how much he used her script as a foundation, and overestimates his dialog part and additinal details as a nearly 100% thing of the overall impact, not realising additional does not mean 100%

And no matter how much I love GotG 1, even in that part were slight details I didn't like what he did with especially Gamora's parts, Mantis in Avengers was way more Mantis than in GotG 2 where I did not like all about what he chose to create for the female character's details, as in I can see the missing influence of someone else, the little details I didn't like in part 1 getting stronger a lot.

oh please 

Mantis in GOTG2 was better than Mantis in IW. she actually added alot of humour, in IW she was in like what, 2 scenes? sounds like someone is trying to see faults that aren't there lol

Edited by Jessie

2 hours ago, Jessie said:

Mantis in GOTG2 was better than Mantis in IW. she actually added alot of humour, in IW she was in like what, 2 scenes? sounds like someone is trying to see faults that aren't there lol

It's not about how long, it's about how a female is shown in a non-teen.... self-confident, respected,... way. Mantis in GotG 2 provided homour in a way that does not apply to this descrition at all.

'lol' :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

It's not about how long, it's about how a female is shown in a non-teen.... self-confident, respected,... way. Mantis in GotG 2 provided homour in a way that does not apply to this descrition at all.

'lol' :rolleyes:

So women can't be funny in movies anymore? Wow you are a special little snowflake, I'm glad opinions like yours aren't taken seriously or this planet would be far worse off

Edited by Jessie
  • Knock It Off 1

24 minutes ago, Jessie said:

So women can't be funny in movies anymore? Wow you are a special little snowflake, I'm glad opinions like yours aren't taken seriously or this planet would be far worse off

Wow, what a way to either miss the meaning or to twist / to carry this to ridiculous extremes. Where did I wrote that?

In my POV she is not a woman in GotG 2, she is an insecure, immature (no matter the age, ~ like a teen) person, that got separated from every chance of a natural development (like to see how other people interact, and so on), with out a real free will / free life.

As such and for other reasons, the 'funny' scenes you see as funny are not similar (in amount) funny to me.

My opinion not getting taken seriously? You have no idea I guess.

It's not that I can not laugh about the situation's humour, its that I am still very aware about the character didn't start on the best terms beside seeing the humour still. And being aware there was no real need to chose to introduce her in that way.

The way you formulate is one of the reasons females have still difficulties, as usual in my POV a bit condensing at best

• Like 3

3 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Wow, what a way to either miss the meaning or to twist / to carry this to ridiculous extremes. Where did I wrote that?

In my POV she is not a woman in GotG 2, she is an insecure, immature (no matter the age, ~ like a teen) person, that got separated from every chance of a natural development (like to see how other people interact, and so on), with out a real free will / free life.

As such and for other reasons, the 'funny' scenes you see as funny are not similar (in amount) funny to me.

My opinion not getting taken seriously? You have no idea I guess.

It's not that I can not laugh about the situation's humour, its that I am still very aware about the character didn't start on the best terms beside seeing the humour still. And being aware there was no real need to chose to introduce her in that way.

The way you formulate is one of the reasons females have still difficulties, as usual in my POV a bit condensing at best

Mantis is not a woman full stop. she is an alien side character in a weird alien fantasy movie who happened to share the best scenes in the movie with drax (imo) 

How is Gamora not a respected, self confident woman? she is one of the best assassins in the frikin universe, daughter of the biggest badass of the universe and hell bent in revenge. like seriously what movies did you even watch?

Mantis simply put is a side character, she didn't need a massive back story as the film was focuses on other things. You can dislike that all you want but to use it as an example of sexism (I'm assuming you are) is ridiculous to put it lightly.

the way I formulate is the same way most women formulate, people weren't complaining about her character when it was released, you seem to be the first I've seen of this so don't assume all women think the same way you do and don't try to insinuate my line of thinking is the reason women have 'difficulties'. it's a movie, and Mantis was a good edition for a side character, don't overthink it for the sake of getting offended 

2 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Mantis is not a woman full stop. she is an alien side character in a weird alien fantasy movie who happened to share the best scenes in the movie with drax (imo) 

How is Gamora not a respected, self confident woman? she is one of the best assassins in the frikin universe, daughter of the biggest badass of the universe and hell bent in revenge. like seriously what movies did you even watch?

Mantis simply put is a side character, she didn't need a massive back story as the film was focuses on other things. You can dislike that all you want but to use it as an example of sexism (I'm assuming you are) is ridiculous to put it lightly.

the way I formulate is the same way most women formulate, people weren't complaining about her character when it was released, you seem to be the first I've seen of this so don't assume all women think the same way you do and don't try to insinuate my line of thinking is the reason women have 'difficulties'. it's a movie, and Mantis was a good edition for a side character, don't overthink it for the sake of getting offended 

Mantis is not a woman? Okayyyy, interesting she gets counted as such in a lot of posts here in elsewhere. I agree to that, but probably for other reasons than why you might define her in that way. She is not a grown up woman in GotG 2 (I give a ... about if she is an alien or a side character, that wasn't the goal for the start of all the posts, and it's not what 'they', the studios, Hollywood, .. state they will look out for finally)

The little details I didn't like in connection with Gamora have nothing to do with what you listed / seem to (wrongly) assume

You jumped - again - on things I never said.

I started out about slight / little details where I can see a missing additional hand (as in a second writer or...), see differences to the first movie.

Its not a complaint. I am not feeling offended. Why should I?

Why has every little thing someone said to be an absolute good or bad judgement over a person, creation, whatever? You do know the possibility to differentiate? There are a lot of shades of grey between black and white....

MCU/Marvel (and nowadays also WB/DCEU in a another way to approach that)... seems to focus also (in addition to other goals) on strengthening the female roles since longer than a lot seem to assume (I think from early on on Feige's side).

In that I think Gunn isn't as good as he or... seem to think. If he as a person even thinks that in such terms, like formulates it even in his brain, in a concious way, what I doubt.

I do know a LOT of males and females that do see the (little) differences too btw. Incl teens. And if them can differentiate to that degree I assume my wordings isn't that unclear.

This here feels very unnecessary. If I am angry, I say I am angry. Literally.

Or whatever other emotion I might feel. I do not hold back, ask my husband 😉

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 9:52 PM, ZattMurdock said:

Fuck Disney, fuck Alan Horn and fuck the alt-right assholes that successfully killed one of the most beloved space operas of our time. This is the worst timeline. 

Dude, calm down, the show can still go on without Gunn :rofl:  I mean, I know Gunn was fired on rather roughly handled circumstances, and he brought these characters to life amazingly well - GOTG Vol. 1 is still one of my top three films in the MCU franchise, next to Infinity War and The Winter Soldier, and Vol. 2 is pretty great as well, but.... we gotta move on. The third movie (if it ever happens, tbh) will still run with Gunn's script, as Disney would be foolish not to still use said script given that they probably know that the man likely didn't deserve to get the boot when all is said and done (+ the cast said that they would only do the film if Gunn's script was the one they'd use anyway, to my knowledge); and if Bumblebee is a good movie, Travis Knight would be a fantastic choice to direct. Kubo & The Two Strings was stunning, after all.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

On 11/26/2018 at 4:52 PM, ZattMurdock said:

Fuck Disney, fuck Alan Horn and fuck the alt-right assholes that successfully killed one of the most beloved space operas of our time. This is the worst timeline. 

I understand your frustration. Knowing how scummy the InfoWars people are. However Gunn is still getting work and Knight does seem to be a worthy successor (no matter how much Nike product placement that will potentially be in his films).