franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

25 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Well yes, those are my questions, do they ? (I have not seen many of those movies and not remember much those I have seen)

Not in my eyes, they don't. Especially Thor and Cap, which are clearly distinct in filmmaking choices from anything else in the MCU franchise. Iron Man 1 & 2 look closer to Avengers, but I still feel like they rock a far more industrial and gritty artistic presentation, and they feel a lot more like actual movies. Avengers is a movie in which you could tell Whedon's background, skills and weaknesses as a storyteller, because the writing and overall direction of the actors and the juggling of many characters at once, alongside the swift editing of all of these pieces, was on point; but artistically, the movie felt like a low to mid budget sci-fi TV series. It would've fit right in line with early episodes of Agents Of SHIELD (and even AOS has had episodes that featured much better technical craft of film than Avengers).

Ultron was an improvement over Avengers from a craft perspective, but not really a big one, as it still suffered from that TV uncannyness that Whedon can't shake off, and it had tonal clashes that a more technically sound director probably would have been more clever about.

Infinity War is far and away the best made Avengers film imo (despite the overreliance on CGI, but if the CGI looked as good as it did for the most part, what can you say), and this is coming from someone who didn't really love the cinematography of either Winter Soldier or Civil War (imo CW is actually the worst looking MCU movie, as a matter of fact).

@Premium George For the record, I was arguing about Avengers being Whedon's baby from a filmmaking perspective. The point that I counterargued was that Avengers would have looked exactly the same with anyone else in the director's chair, but as you put it, Whedon's footprint was all over the movie and someone else in charge would have unquestionably made everything come together differently, at least from a presentation, direction and writing perspective. Maybe editing too.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

On 11/28/2018 at 6:39 AM, Warmaster506 said:

This will still happen as Disney will look to spite WB/Gunn

Yes because Disney has no other incentive to make another movie from a 1.6 billion grossing, critically well received, and well loved franchise other than to spite WB/Gunn

• Like 2

I think maybe why we associate GOTG as more a product of Gunn than Avengers as a product of Whedon is that GOTG is obviously more standalone but also how much Gunn kept saying how much freedom Marvel gave him especially with Vol 2 while we all know the battles Whedon had on Ultron (almost all of it in post production though). 

Well, he has a co-writing credit on Ant-Man 1, which is one of the best written and funniest MCU movies; Anchorman is one of my favorite comedies of the 2000's; and The Big Short is a very stylish movie. I guess it makes sense. But..... it feels like a bit of an odd match :rofl:

But if they're getting Adam McKay, it likely means that he's also gonna write, which would mean that Gunn's text is probably getting trashed, as I doubt that they want Gunn's credit involved in the movie no matter what the internet says (though I think they know they fucked up with firing him). And I don't know how I feel about that. Not to say McKay's writing would be bad in any way. I wouldn't mind Travis Knight directing a Gunn/McKay joint script, that feels like a pretty good trio right there. Whatever we end up getting is certainly not a talentless pit, though.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/guardians-vol-3-not-directed-taika-waititi-james-gunn-1202041183/

‘Guardians Vol. 3’ Will Not be Directed by Taika Waititi: ‘Those Are James Gunn’s Films’

While Marvel still plans on making “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3,” one filmmaker who will not be behind the camera for the tentpole is Taika Waititi. The indie favorite is a veteran of the Marvel Cinematic Universe thanks to his work on “Thor: Ragnarok” and has been a fan favorite option to replace James Gunn in the director’s chair since both men share a love for witty banter and quirky outcasts. While attending the TCA press tour in support of his FX series “What We Do in the Shadows,” Waititi confirmed he will not take over the “Guardians” franchise.

“I didn’t really,” Waititi said when asked if he envisioned taking over the franchise. “For me, those are James Gunn’s films. Going into something like that with his stamp all over his films, would be like going into someone’s house and saying, ‘Hey, I’m your new dad, and this is how we make peanut butter sandwiches now. It feels kind of awkward.”

• Like 4

woah woah woah woah woah. hold up.

19 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

While attending the TCA press tour in support of his FX series “What We Do in the Shadows,” Waititi confirmed he will not take over the “Guardians” franchise.

There is a WWDITS TV SHOW?

joking aside, looks like what you would get for a spin off series, and I'm assuming given that its American, that Taika had not much involvement with it. Americans have an incredible inability at adapting comedy.

I am just excited as had no idea there was a TV show made. I remember some time ago Taika said he wanted to do a sequel and a TV show, hadn't realised the TV show actually got made.

thumbs up for matt berry thoug, he is perfect casting.

Edited by Avatree

13 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Not even the only TV adaptation of this series

That American tv adaptation can't be any worse than the awful Inbetweeners US adaptation that Taika directed episodes of, so at least it has that going for it