Plain Old Tele

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

Whoever is Ruthless on comicbookmovie, good job on schooling that guy in the comments lol. It was refreshing to read a box office related article over there that didn't parrot deadline's early estimates. Joshwilding is trash.

Edited by eddyxx

I'm pretty excited to see what the monday # will be. Over The Dark Knight's first monday? What if it did 30m?

If this had opened in summer it wouldve done 200m weekend

Edited by eddyxx

10 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Whoever is Ruthless on comicbookmovie, good job on schooling that guy in the comments lol. It was refreshing to read a box office related article over there that didn't parrot deadline's early estimates. Joshwilding is trash.

Yeah, that Ruthless sounds exactly like someone around here. I'm pretty sure he's one of our members.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eddyxx said:

I'm pretty excited to see what the monday # will be. Over The Dark Knight's first monday? What if it did 30m?

If this had opened in summer it wouldve done 200m weekend

What if it does 17?

• Like 2

Sometimes an actor is just really fortunate to appear in the right films.  I mean Orlando Bloom has three Pirates films, three LOTR and three(?) Hobbit movies.  We certainly wouldn't put him on the same level as Ford.

• Like 10

Just now, DAR said:

Sometimes an actor is just really fortunate to appear in the right films.  I mean Orlando Bloom has three Pirates films, three LOTR and three(?) Hobbit movies.  We certainly wouldn't put him on the same level as Ford.

Exactly. Zoe Saldana starred in Avatar, GOTG and the JJ'iefed Star Trek movies. Would we say she's the next Julia Roberts? Ehh.... she's a talented actress, but not one that sells a movie in terms of box office. Emma Watson definitely helped BATB, mind you, but she didn't "sell" BATB as much as she elevated it - BATB would've always sold itself cause it's fucking BATB. The fact that they chose her, who, despite not being in a ton of hugely successful films, still carries a lot of weight w/the newest generations because of Hermione, only sold it harder. That's what I think, at least.

• Like 2

I think in todays movie climate the concept is the driving factor. Give the GA a good idea what your film is about whether its original or not, and if its interesting and (seems) to be fresh, they will generally come. Apart from maybe DiCaprio and Denzel Washington they are no actors or actresses who can carry a film by their own. Even Meryl Streep cant do it nobody saw that Florence movie. I really like Emma Watson and she definetly was one of the driving factors that we have such an obscene opening, but the idea of a live-action BatB alone was the main reason people came. Most of the time it comes down to excellent marketing and advertising, except if you called SW or Avengers. People are more cautious with higher ticket prices. 

• Like 5

Just now, Brainbug said:

I think in todays movie climate the concept is the driving factor. Give the GA a good idea what your film is about whether its original or not, and if its interesting and (seems) to be fresh, they will generally come. Apart from maybe DiCaprio and Denzel Washington they are no actors or actresses who can carry a film by their own. Even Meryl Streep cant do it nobody saw that Florence movie. I really like Emma Watson and she definetly was one of the driving factors that we have such an obscene opening, but the idea of a live-action BatB alone was the main reason people came. Most of the time it comes down to excellent marketing and advertising, except if you called SW or Avengers. People are more cautious with higher ticket prices. 

Also, we have more options outside of movies. We can wait for home video/streaming, TV shows are getting better, etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Exactly. Zoe Saldana starred in Avatar, GOTG and the JJ'iefed Star Trek movies. Would we say she's the next Julia Roberts? Ehh.... she's a talented actress, but not one that sells a movie in terms of box office. Emma Watson definitely helped BATB, mind you, but she didn't "sell" BATB as much as she elevated it - BATB would've always sold itself cause it's fucking BATB. The fact that they chose her, who, despite not being in a ton of hugely successful films, still carries a lot of weight w/the newest generations because of Hermione, only sold it harder. That's what I think, at least.

Don't tell her that.  I get the impression for her in interviews that she thinks she is the next Denzel, Roberts and DiCaprio all rolled into one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Disney wins. They have the top 7 OW's ever all to themselves (except Jurassic World). They'll have 4 to 5 movies over 500M by the end of the year, while every other major studio has one to none. Disney wins. End of it.

The Marvel overlords are the real Skynet. 

• Like 1