WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Makes you wonder what a well crafted Dragon Ball Z action epic could do.

I'm pretty sure it make double what GitS does.

Tbh, I kinda want Snyder to direct since MoS had fight scenes that'd make DBZ proud

33 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Beauty and the Crumbling

#notanevent

1 minute ago, robertman2 said:

Tbh, I kinda want Snyder to direct since MoS had fight scenes that'd make DBZ proud

#notanevent

I know Matrix Revolutions was a disappointment overall but it did have one of the most DBZ fights in a blockbuster.

But honestly, even that movie, only touched the surface a full blown, balls to the wall, DBZ fight sequence.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eevin said:

obviously very early, but they still have Beauty beating the Baby

Edited by 75live

4 minutes ago, Eevin said:

Deadline has been pretty accurate the last couple weeks. I think BATB can do $45M+ though. Not sure if Boss Baby can get there but wouldn't shocked if it did. I actually wouldn't be shocked if either ended up being high 40s to be honest. GITS is front loaded with that number and PR just tumbled....wow. 

Edited by Nova

38 minutes ago, Eevin said:

I say this as someone with no insider experience, but as a casual observer it seems as though some trades tend to underestimate films on purpose. Don't know if this is to be cautious, or if they want to make it seem like a film is overperforming. 

I'm actually not sure this is true. I tracked predicts for all opens for a little over a year from the Weekend Predict thread and individual weekend threads I started. Plus, I got predicts from BO.com, Variety, Deadline and a few other places. The major takeaways I got from it are:

1. Our collective predictive wisdom is better than anyone's individual wisdom (our collective Mean and Median predictions were both significantly stronger than the predictions of anyone who predicted more than ~15-20% of new openers)

2. BO.com is genuinely good. They aren't perfect, but they are the gold standard of what is publicly available on the internet. The only folks who were arguably as good was ShowBuzzDaily.com who quit doing mid-week predicts in the fall.

3. Variety and Deadline are better than people give them credit. Not as good as BO.com, but consistently better than any of us managed to do and even slightly better than our Mean and Median results.

None of which is likely to be a surprise.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 6

40 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's going to happen again in June with 5, potentially 6 films :ohmygod: 

All of them rotten too :ohmygod:

All Eyez One Me could do 40 if it gets good reviews, though.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Eevin said:

I say this as someone with no insider experience, but as a casual observer it seems as though some trades tend to underestimate films on purpose. Don't know if this is to be cautious, or if they want to make it seem like a film is overperforming. 

They're cautious. There's no downside to being cautious. On the other hand, they end up with egg on their face -- or worse -- if they overproject. 

• Like 6

The crazy thing about Boss Baby doing what it's doing is just two weekends ago we had BATB do ridiculous numbers. And Kong before that performed like a family film. When they say if you build it they will come, it's not a joke lol

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Frozen said:

Deadline Friday estimates don't make sense, they say BATB matinees are outselling Boss baby but gives them the same Friday estimates BATB 12mil and Boss Baby 12mil Fri 1.5 Thurs, even though BATB is more likely to have stronger evenings and sale more adult tickets.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

The crazy thing about Boss Baby doing what it's doing is just two weekends ago we had BATB do ridiculous numbers. And Kong before that performed like a family film. When they say if you build it they will come, it's not a joke lol

Its also (once again) a clear sign that the interest in theatralic moviegoing is anything but dead. And i hope this lasts as long as possible

• Like 6

Just now, commonsense88 said:

Deadline Friday estimates don't make sense, they say BATB matinees are outselling Boss baby but gives them the same Friday estimates BATB 12mil and Boss Baby 12mil Fri 1.5 Thurs, even though BATB is more likely to have stronger evenings and sale more adult tickets.

Because Boss Baby has its previews included in its Friday number. So it's true Friday number is actually $10.5M. 

• Like 2