Ezen Baklattan

THE THREAD OF THE FURIOUS: Friday #s (DHD, Pg 36) F8 45.5M, BB 6.6M, BATB 5.3M, Smurfs 2.9M, GIS 2.1M

3 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Infinity War is going to be the eighth film with Iron Man in it, so if that increases from Homecoming he can join the club.

:sparta:

Let's see

IM

TIH

IM2

Avengers

IM3

Avengers 2

Civil War

Homecoming

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Let's see

IM

TIH

IM2

Avengers

IM3

Avengers 2

Civil War

Homecoming

Oh shit.

Uhhh.

It'll be the eighth appearance of Iron Man's armor. So that can join the club.

:sparta:

• Like 1

The friend I went to see Fate of the Furious with today said "oh la la" when the shots of Charlize and Sofia Boutella making out showed up during the Atomic Blonde trailer. Know your audience!

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The friend I went to see Fate of the Furious with today said "oh la la" when the shots of Charlize and Sofia Boutella making out showed up during the Atomic Blonde trailer. Know your audience!

Is your friend a cartoon?

• Like 1

To be honest, the idea that F8 would earn only 6 million more open weekend domestically than FF6 is a little bit concerning for a franchise that's expected to grow with every single installment. 

I think we can all forgive F8 for not being as big as F7, which we all know benefited from Paul Walker's death, but I did expect the seventh film to create new fans domestically, and now it seems to have hit a domestic ceiling with FF6 and F8. 

The overseas is amazing of course, but a good strong healthy domestic always seems to be a point of pride, for a number of reasons. 

Just now, SophieSlut said:

To be honest, the idea that F8 would earn only 6 million more open weekend domestically than FF6 is a little bit concerning for a franchise that's expected to grow with every single installment. 

I think we can all forgive F8 for not being as big as F7, which we all know benefited from Paul Walker's death, but I did expect the seventh film to create new fans domestically, and now it seems to have hit a domestic ceiling with FF6 and F8. 

The overseas is amazing of course, but a good strong healthy domestic always seems to be a point of pride, for a number of reasons. 

According to...what, exactly?

Furious 7's big overperformance was an exception, not the rule. And for some reason, everyone keeps forgetting that is basically sold as if it was the last movie in the series ("One Last Ride"). Without a fresh hook, the series was bound to come back down to Earth (especially when it's been going at it for 16 years now). Unless they promise these next two movies are the last ones (unlikely, they'll probably continue churning out movies as long as they continue to make crazy bank overseas), the grosses won't get much better than they are now (which is still really damn good).

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, SophieSlut said:

There is so much wrong with this post.  

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

it would be great for everyone's derby if everything but Power Rangers increases today

Not mine. I have it at 3.2M. So bring on an increase

Fast 8 is not a disappointment because it's doing right in line with what most people predicted.

But this narrative that a movie can't be both, simultaneously disappointing and successful, is false.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 9

5 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

I had Get Out at 3.21 for about a 20% drop so I am screwed.

Is Get Out getting double features with Furious?

That's nothing. I had GITS at 4M. Be luck if it makes 1.5M. lol

8 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Fast 8 is not disappointing because it's doing right in line with what most people predicted.

But this narrative that a movie can't be both, simultaneously disappointing and successful, is false.

Agreed. X-Men Apocalypse's BO numbers come to mind, sadly. Profitable and all and in hindsight a decrease after the super-event that happened in DOFP was to be expected but it's still disappointing how much it decreased from DOFP's numbers.

There are a couple of other examples from last year as well but I'd rather keep the well clean.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, baumer said:

There is so much wrong with this post.  

She(?) makes an interesting point with her second paragraph imho as I also expected the success of the last one to make some more fans domestically, it's just that her first paragraph is very wrong and her last isn't too good either.