Ezen Baklattan

THE THREAD OF THE FURIOUS: Friday #s (DHD, Pg 36) F8 45.5M, BB 6.6M, BATB 5.3M, Smurfs 2.9M, GIS 2.1M

31 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Certainly were, they are nominating horror movie from time to time.

I would agree with that, it has horror element, but you laugh more than you are scared I think. Is comedy element are a big strength and probably why it made so much at the BO, a bit the same for Split.

I agree. I didn't think Split was that unsettling either. I wouldn't consider that one a comedy though, that was more a showcase for James McAvoy lol.

As far as horror comedies, Get Out was good but didn't reach the level of some of my favorites like The Cabin In The Woods, Scream, Scream 2, Trick r' Treat, Zombieland, Shaun Of The Dead, You're Next, What We Do In The Shadows, Warm Bodies, The Final Girls, An American Werewolf In London, Beetlejuice, The Lost Boys, Ghostbusters, etc.

Get Out was a lot better then a lot of other horror movies that have come out recently though.

Edited by somebody85
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, somebody85 said:

I agree. I didn't think Split was that unsettling either. I wouldn't consider that one a comedy though, that was more a showcase for James McAvoy lol.

As far as horror comedies, Get Out was good but didn't reach the level of some of my favorites like The Cabin In The Woods, Scream, Scream 2, Trick r' Treat, Zombieland, Shaun Of The Dead, You're Next, What We Do In The Shadows, Warm Bodies, The Final Girls, An American Werewolf In London, Beetlejuice, The Lost Boys, Ghostbusters, etc.

Get Out was a lot better then a lot of other horror movies that have come out recently though.

Eh, it's better than pretty much any of those with the exception of GB and BEETLEJUICE. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Can we talk about how bad Smurf is doing? @franfar, I never thought it would bomb this bad. It may finish under $40M domestic/$150M worldwide. This would be SPA's lowest grossing domestic film (if you ignore Aardman coproductions)

I forgot this movie existed tbh

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

Eh, it's better than pretty much any of those with the exception of GB and BEETLEJUICE. 

Yeah we're going to have to just agree to disagree on this. Like strongly disagree on some of those. Especially when Get Out borrowed from one of them in one of the climactic scenes.

Edited by somebody85

13 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Remember when people thought Tomorrowland would do over $200M domestic.

Tomorrowland show how hard it can be to succeed with an unproven movie concept.

190 million budget giant movie, Brad Bird perfect track record, big producers, one of the biggest marketing campaign of over 2 year's , superbowl ads, with an impressive trailers, 10 minutes previews playing before Age of Ultron in a lot of theater, staring Clooney.

A bad ending (but still a better movie than a lot of those franchise movie getting high acclaim because they start with very low expectation imo), mediocre reviews (50% RT) and the movie do not reach 90 million domestic.

Terminator Genisys made 440 million worldwide and the same as Tomorrowland domestic for a comparison...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Can we talk about how bad Smurf is doing? @franfar, I never thought it would bomb this bad. It may finish under $40M domestic/$150M worldwide. This would be SPA's lowest grossing domestic film (if you ignore Aardman coproductions)

Luckily the budget was $60m so it'll only be a small loss for SPA but still it doesn't bode well if the other films they have this year flop as well, either they'll end up shuttering or more likely they'll get someone new to shake things up 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Luckily the budget was $60m so it'll only be a small loss for SPA but still it doesn't bode well if the other films they have this year flop as well, either they'll end up shuttering or more likely they'll get someone new to shake things up 

To be honest, I think Emoji and The Star will do fine, both around $100M-$140M domestic/$300M Worldwide.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, YourMother said:

True. After Smurfs 2 did half of Smurfs 1, LV could again do half of Smurfs 2.

LV's WW won't even match Smurf1's dom (141).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Smurfs franchise has an history of under reporting budget by a 10% of so thought (like pretty much all of them)

Real net production cost / Box office mojos:

Smurf: 124.066 million / 110 million

Smurf 2: 114.003 million / 105 million

If they achieved to have it down to $60m, 150 million would not be too bad.

When Smurf 3 was planned it, it was planned with a massive budget reduction to a net budget of 77.425 million (with 50% financed by Lone Star and Hemisphere), that would have needed an estimated 186 million WW (with a low 47 million domestic) to break even and 286 million to bring a nice return for the risk, 297 million WW being the target. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, THE PHENOMENAL BKB said:

This movie you all hail as the best horror movie ever made sounds more like a movie about Racism being passed off as Horror than anything.. No wonder the younger generation liked this movie... Why am I getting this impression that today's politics played a role in this movie why the younger audience loves it so much??? How close am I with this theory??? :popcorn:

I mean yeah...

6 minutes ago, DAR said:

Horror more than any other genre has always been reflective of societal issues of its time

It also invite itself to the audience to project any issue of the time on it, audience from different era will project a different metaphor on the same movie.

A big example for that is Zombies, it was an analogy for cold war to racial struggles, aids when that was big, crack epidemic at a other time, etc...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, grim22 said:

Its amazing how expectations play for movies. Peter Jackson's Kong earned more domestic and just a little less WW than Skull Island on a slightly larger budget but never recovered from the perception of being a flop thanks to sky high expectations  (and being very bloated), Skull Island on the other hand had very low expectations and this result is a big win for everyone involved.

wrong. kongskull island is an even bigger flop than jacksons, no one gets a win for beating piss poor mega bomb predictions. with most of the OS gross coming from china of which studios see smaller percentage, I don't think knog breaks even. Are they selling lots of kong playsets with commando loki and photog brie action figures?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bitterturdtalkin said:

wrong. kongskull island is an even bigger flop than jacksons, no one gets a win for beating piss poor mega bomb predictions. with most of the OS gross coming from china of which studios see smaller percentage, I don't think knog breaks even. Are they selling lots of kong playsets with commando loki and photog brie action figures?

@Tele Came Back guess who

23 minutes ago, Fate of the Robertman2 said:

@Tele Came Back guess who

who am I bertman2? you're wrong, I'm not a previously banned poster, but youre respose to my comment is blatant trolling, and when I pointed that out it was edited. Congrats, Im no longer coming to this site, I'm going to advise everyone I know to do the same, and I think I'll do some reporting on the vicious hatred you have here for new people.

Edited by bitterturdtalkin
site mods are suspect of nepotism and trolling

3 hours ago, THE PHENOMENAL BKB said:

This movie you all hail as the best horror movie ever made sounds more like a movie about Racism being passed off as Horror than anything.. No wonder the younger generation liked this movie... Why am I getting this impression that today's politics played a role in this movie why the younger audience loves it so much??? How close am I with this theory??? :popcorn:

So a film can't be horror and about racism?

And you're implying racism doesn't exist?

• Like 3