kayumanggi

GEMINI MAN | Oct 11 19 | Paramount | Estimated to lose 111.1M

You have to wonder if it comes down to the brand. I know a lot of the GA aren't studio savvy like us film nerds but maybe enough Paramount films have been horrible that people just don't trust them (if they're the types who pay attention to what studio a movie is from).

Like, could this exact movie have done better if it was from WB?

9 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Depressing that Lee's last two movies might be his worst two. Just difficult to engage with... Go in expecting a trashy 90s actioner and you might have a passable time. Mary Liz reminds me of a young Sigourney Weaver more and more each day. Kind of hard not to be infatuated with her everything on screen in anything she's in. Wish she was Captain Marvel.

I wish she was She Hulk

57 minutes ago, JB33 said:

You have to wonder if it comes down to the brand. I know a lot of the GA aren't studio savvy like us film nerds but maybe enough Paramount films have been horrible that people just don't trust them (if they're the types who pay attention to what studio a movie is from).

If it turned out to be the same film, no.

I think it would have bombed no matter which studio made it. It just did not look that good.

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Paramount also released The Godfather and The Godfather Part II, so I doubt it. Mission 6 was also a block-buster - and the best big budget film of 2018 by a pretty wide margin. This flopped because it looked bad, and because Will Smith doesn't have the drawing power of Denzel or Leo

On 10/11/2019 at 6:56 PM, JB33 said:

there's no way the GA is going "Hey I wants to see this movies! Oh but it's a Paramount, forget it..."  The GA barely cares about directors as it is, forget studios. You could say Marvel, but that's different since they stick to a specific universe of characters and a specific genre. It's also of course, a famous comic book  brand 

Gemini Man flopping has nothing to do with people not trusting Paramount. It's simple: the marketing didn't generate any buzz and the reviews were terrible. It only has Will Smith to generate a few millions and will attract a few curious with the new tech.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shayhiri said:

Aladdin was - and will be - his biggest project ever.

And even then, I've a feeling that was as much to do with the nostalgia of the original and the Disney marketing giant as it was to do with Smith-maybe even moreso.

Something tells me that maybe that 4-year gap he took between Hancock and MIB3 was a mistake-and After Earth too (the original idea for it actually sounds a lot cooler).