kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | 19.4 M FATE OF THE FURIOUS | 12 M HOW TO BE LATIN LOVER | 10.1 M BAAHUBALI II | 9.3 M THE CIRCLE

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's unlikely but I wonder if an Indian film could ever reach the top 3. Baahubali 2 has shown the potential is there. 

That's like expecting another TFA to happen soon. Bahubali 2 was pretty much a perfect storm of factors combining to make this happen. 

• Like 3

I used to regularly attend a mall multiplex that showed pretty much every major Indian film and I always noticed big crowds going in, so I see that the potential is there. Nevertheless, it still always feels crazy to see a film in under 500 theatres make any significant noise in the top ten, even during a slow weekend.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KevinPr said:

Can I add Maggie Smith and Judi Dench on that list? I have no idea that Maggie Smith was nominated for the Oscars in the 60s and 70s. All I know is that she's Professor McGonagall.

Judi Dench should also be included. She's TV actress in the 70s before she became a star in the Bond movies.

True.  A ton benefit from the young age window, and a handful make a mark thereafter.

Eva Green, the occasional flashbacks to Xerxes, and the feeling of boredom are the only details I remember about 300: Rise of an Empire. I was never as big on 300 as others were, but I would gladly have taken it over the thoroughly forgettable sequel.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's unlikely but I wonder if an Indian film could ever reach the top 3. Baahubali 2 has shown the potential is there. 

A lot of it would depend on how many screens the film was released I would imagine. If it could somehow be shown in over 500 theaters, that would be a big win I'd imagine. 

28 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I used to regularly attend a mall multiplex that showed pretty much every major Indian film and I always noticed big crowds going in, so I see that the potential is there. Nevertheless, it still always feels crazy to see a film in under 500 theatres make any significant noise in the top ten, even during a slow weekend.

Considering how many Indians there are in NA, it's not exactly that crazy when you really think about it. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Good thing that Baahubali 2 opened to give us something to talk about because this is the definition of a bomb weekend.

Reminds me of 2007 when Disturbia led for 3 weekends because there just wasn't anything new out worthy of anything (and that third #1 was under 10m if memory serves me right.)

• Like 2

Wasn't The Circle supposed to be a very mild wide release until the success of Beauty and the Beast made the studio give it wide push? Just goes to show that nothing can save an unappealing movie.

Yeesh, that CinemaScore grade. It's gonna die very fast, gone in two weeks.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1