grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 hour ago, Brainiac5 said:

I’m seeing WOnder Woman all over again.

It'll open over 100 million. 

I’m sorry but I just don’t see the film doing less than 100mil for the rest of its run.

IT will pull 60mil+ The week+weekend  after Thanksgiving.

The Key advantage JL has it is a CBM film that will cover A 2x in 10days.

As I mentioned yesterday JL can Possibility drop 40%-50% due to Thanksgiving. We all have seen what a Certified Fresh Dceu   Film can do And from the looks of it JL will have that tag.

It has 4  full weeks to make its money before TLJ.

Im predicting the film will cross the 400 dom mark the weekend of TLJ.

Weird, I remember you in the JL thread mentioning time after time how those movies make big massive bucks in spite of the RT score. (Which there's some truth to it.)

JL doing less than WW stateside would be both funny and fitting. 

3 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

I'm not buying SS-Gotg 2 tier ow

IMO Dceu films tend to track differently from others.

This is gonna be Wonder Woman alll over again,

Looking like a 140mil opening and a 340 Finish will eventually become a 170mil opening and a 400+ finish.

Never underestimate a Fresh Dceu film and if reactions are telling of its reception then Fresh the film will be.

2 minutes ago, RRA said:

Weird, I remember you in the JL thread mentioning time after time how those movies make big massive bucks in spite of the RT score. (Which there's some truth to it.)

As I told you “I don’t care about rotten tomatoes scores “ However the GA does and can give it even more.

Whats so wrong about that as films do make massive bucks despite the RT score.

Its all business so why not take everything extra?

What If ?JL opening to 130 and have W.O.M Equivalent to Wonder Woman ?

Do you know where it’s final total will land  with the same Multiplier?

In the end that Final total is what matters more than an opening Weekend.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

If this opens to 130M (I'm with EC in predicting that btw), there is basically no way it gets to 400M.

Legs will be interesting with the "eh its fine" reception from the bloggers (who usually more ecstatic on every decent spandex movie) reminding me of AGE OF ULTRON. "Its messy OK and the villain is meh, but the teamwork and humor works and its FUN!" 

(Of course AOU made a fortune and did over 400 million domestic so there are worse films it could be compared to.)

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

If this opens to 130M (I'm with EC in predicting that btw), there is basically no way it gets to 400M.

I imagine OS for JL will make up for it. I think WW, Dunkirk and IT being so successful means there is less pressure on JL and the fact it's not a stinker will help enormously

1 minute ago, Brainiac5 said:

Whats so wrong about that as films do make massive bucks despite the RT score.

I don't have a problem with it. I'm just more curious that you can say GA doesn't care about critics and then say they do. 

11 minutes ago, RRA said:

Hey newsflash WW BEAT ALL Superhero movies this year plus major releases over the years. So what are you even saying with this ?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

I imagine OS for JL will make up for it. I think WW, Dunkirk and IT being so successful means there is less pressure on JL and the fact it's not a stinker will help enormously

I agree with the second sentence.

But reading the Int'l section pre-sales in the UK and Australia are looking comparatively weak as well

• Thanks 1

I got laughed at when I said I didn't feel SS level hype...nothing is set is stone..still

Remember JL is coming out in a much different time compared to CF as Discount Tuesdays are much more of a thing now.

Im thinking JL have better week to week holds than CF.

You clearly understimating how big CF was. 

Edited by XO21
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RRA said:

Legs will be interesting with the "eh its fine" reception from the bloggers (who usually more ecstatic on every decent spandex movie) reminding me of AGE OF ULTRON. "Its messy OK and the villain is meh, but the teamwork and humor works and its FUN!" 

(Of course AOU made a fortune and did over 400 million domestic so there are worse films it could be compared to.)

AOU also opened to almost 200 m.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

I agree with the second sentence.

But reading the Int'l section pre-sales in the UK and Australia are looking comparatively weak as well

I reckon it'll pick up as the week goes on. I think people are waiting for reviews and reactions before booking. 

2 minutes ago, RRA said:

I don't have a problem with it. I'm just more curious that you can say GA doesn't care about critics and then say they do. 

I never really said that ,I did say these films makes money despite critic reviews.

Take BVS For Example (Even though I loved the film ) 424mil WW opening 27%rotten tomatoes and a 874mil total.

Sure it’s poor legs but it’s still a big total.

Just now, mredman said:

Hey newsflash WW BEAT ALL Superhero movies this year

it did, at least domestically. Certainly was the one of 2017's spandex crop that actually launched a new movie IP. 

From those reactions, I'm guessing its RT reception won't be as high as WW. I just find it funny that a woman on her first trip to the spandex plate hit a critical homerun that the same guy after 2 trips (potentially #3 as well) couldn't. That's Hollywood patriarchy in a nutshell. And some people (even fans of that brand) are annoyed by that suggestion. 

Or let me put it in blunt terms if my suggestion happens: WW solo movie > more stateside > JL movie with WW. And now you have people in this thread suggesting it might even open lower than BVS. Now I know you and Brainiac and others, we've had our differences. But I've bet on JL doing better, and I'm sticking to it and assuming it does better than WW stateside. Surely right? Gets a bump from WW on both fronts? 

2 minutes ago, XO21 said:

I got laughed at when I said I didn't feel SS level hype...nothing is set is stone..still

You clearly understimating how big CF was. 

It was Big but the story doesn’t scream Family event.JL will play to all quadrants.

5 minutes ago, RRA said:

it did, at least domestically. Certainly was the one of 2017's spandex crop that actually launched a new movie IP. 

From those reactions, I'm guessing its RT reception won't be as high as WW. I just find it funny that a woman on her first trip to the spandex plate hit a critical homerun that the same guy after 2 trips (potentially #3 as well) couldn't. That's Hollywood patriarchy in a nutshell. And some people (even fans of that brand) are annoyed by that suggestion. 

Or let me put it in blunt terms if my suggestion happens: WW solo movie > more stateside > JL movie with WW. And now you have people in this thread suggesting it might even open lower than BVS. Now I know you and Brainiac and others, we've had our differences. But I've bet on JL doing better, and I'm sticking to it and assuming it does better than WW stateside. Surely right? Gets a bump from WW on both fronts? 

It can be argued that WW was set up In BVS.

Maybe The Dceu have a shift from Big opening weekends into having legs

2.4>1.99<2.4<4.0 

It needed a balance average Legs 2.7x

Edited by Brainiac5
  • Like 1