grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

I think we'll have a better idea of where Solo is going to open after the tickets go on sale. However $170M doesn't sound too far off. I personally have it at $150M for the 4-day as of right now. Kinda surprised they didn't wait until tickets went on sale to release tracking but then realized it's three weeks out which is when initial tracking comes out. 

Also good reviews will help it :) 

• Like 3

Just now, Porthos said:

For the record, Deadline might be getting ahead of its skis a little.

THR has access to the same data and is calling for 160+ for the 4day.

According to that article NRG is saying 135, though as I said in the Solo thread, I don't know if that is for 3 or 4 day.

That would make more sense in comparison to my personal expectations (150m 4day) I can't see it going under 100m 3-day regardless, but maybe it ends up playing like Indy 4 with 125-130m over the 4 days

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

My current prediction is 105/135 (3/4 day), so that number would be pretty spot on. Hype still feels nowhere near the level of Rogue One.

$30 million Memorial Day?

That’s not happening on $105m 3-day.

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

My current prediction is 105/135 (3/4 day), so that number would be pretty spot on. Hype still feels nowhere near the level of Rogue One.

Tracking is hardly an exact science. When Rogue Onefirst came on tracking three weeks before its release, projections showed the movie debuting to $130 million-plus domestically.

From the link:

Stand-alone film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story — one of the biggest box-office curiosities of the year — is projected to open to $130-million-plus in North America over the Dec. 16-18 weekend, which would mark the second-biggest December opening of all time behind last year's Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The movie came on tracking Tuesday morning, with one service suggesting it could even approach $150 million. (Conversely, another service has it opening in the high $120-million range, underscoring what a guessing game tracking can be.)

Just so we know where R1 was standing at the same point in time.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

Today sales:

Avengers 33505
Deadpool 1436
Overboar 1046
I Feel P 724
A Quiet  664
Black Pa 444
Tully (2 410
Like Arr 272
Rampage  246
Super Tr 219
Ready Pl 209
Naa Peru 208
Blockers 166
Bad Sama 165
Traffik 110
Isle of  89
Blumhous 71
MUSE DRO 58
RBG 53
Breaking 52
Tyler Pe 51
I Can On 46
Disobedi 43
Chappaqu 37
102 Not  34
Life of  33
Sherlock 22

Never heard of  Like Arrows before but that released may 1 apparently, 3:1 sales for Overboard vs Tully is not too far of trade prediction, specially if Overboard is more walk up heavy than a movie from a director with a fanbase like I would imagine.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 5

I would be very weary of low-balling Solo. It is the first family friendly major release since AIW, provided you consider AIW a family film. If not, then you have to go back to Rampage. Either way, that is a lot of pent up demand for a film parents can take their kids to see. Now add in the Star Wars faithful and a holiday weekend. $200M over the four days should surprise absolutely nobody. It might not happen but the conditions certainly exist for it to happen.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Today sales:

Avengers 217606
Deadpool 7176
A Quiet  4539
I Feel P 3968
Black Pa 2768
Overboar 2103
Super Tr 1857
Rampage  1844
Blockers 1354
Ready Pl 1256
Like Arr 963
Traffik 792
Tully (2 754
Blumhous 670
Labyrint 622
Isle of  509
Naa Peru 441
Bad Sama 345
Tyler Pe 249

Never heard of  Like Arrows before but that released may 1 apparently, 3:1 sales for Overboard vs Tully is not too far of trade prediction, specially if Overboard is more walk up heavy than a movie from a director with a fanbase like I would imagine.

More than triple the sales of Mon/Tues/Wed. Seems safe to say that many of them must be for the upcoming weekend at this point, so I think we can pretty safely say that the gap between Fandango % and BO% on Wednesday has to do with more weekend sales on Wednesday.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

More than triple the sales of Mon/Tues/Wed. Seems safe to say that many of them must be for the upcoming weekend at this point, so I think we can pretty safely say that the gap between Fandango % and BO% on Wednesday has to do with more weekend sales on Wednesday.

I think I made a manipulation mistake to take all the sales instead of just that day, I thought 200k was a bit crazy, real numbers of the day:

Avengers 33505
Deadpool 1436
Overboar 1046
I Feel P 724
A Quiet  664
Black Pa 444
Tully (2 410
Like Arr 272
Rampage  246
Super Tr 219
Ready Pl 209
Naa Peru 208
Blockers 166
Bad Sama 165
Traffik 110
Isle of  89
Blumhous 71
MUSE DRO 58
RBG 53
Breaking 52
Tyler Pe 51
I Can On 46
Disobedi 43
Chappaqu 37
102 Not  34
Life of  33
Sherlock 22
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Theater Update:

Bad Samaritan 2 852 0.23%
Overboard 16 1323 1.21%

Bad Samaritan Comps:

3% of Happy Death Day ($8.8M)

6% of Winchester ($5.6M)

Overboard Comps:

228% of Downsizing ($17.5M)

400% of Father Figures ($13.1M)

20% of Game Night ($3.4M)

25% of Blockers ($5.1M)

What a way to kick off the summer. Good job studios!

• Like 3

I just checked the first showing tonight for Tully at three of theaters near me which are playing it. The film has sold a total of 3 tickets (1, 2 and 0) as of right now. Granted, it’s not a Thursday night preview sort of film but those numbers are horrendous. I won’t have to worry about facing a sell-out when I see it tomorrow.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

I would be very weary of low-balling Solo. It is the first family friendly major release since AIW, provided you consider AIW a family film. If not, then you have to go back to Rampage. Either way, that is a lot of pent up demand for a film parents can take their kids to see. Now add in the Star Wars faithful and a holiday weekend. $200M over the four days should surprise absolutely nobody. It might not happen but the conditions certainly exist for it to happen.

True but if fanboys like me are the fence about seeing this and likely wont be going 2 3 times to see this and also bringing along a ton of friends and family.

I dont see how it will out open RO after the release of TLJ.

Edited by Lordmandeep

54 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Theater Update:

Bad Samaritan 2 852 0.23%
Overboard 16 1323 1.21%

Bad Samaritan Comps:

3% of Happy Death Day ($8.8M)

6% of Winchester ($5.6M)

Overboard Comps:

228% of Downsizing ($17.5M)

400% of Father Figures ($13.1M)

20% of Game Night ($3.4M)

25% of Blockers ($5.1M)

What a way to kick off the summer. Good job studios!

Well, summer movie season started a week earlier than expected. :P