grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

22 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I would take these Fandango reports with a grain of salt considering Ant-Man and the Wasp was the #4 MCU movie at the time it was released but it had one of Marvel's lowest opening weekends. Maybe MCU has become very presales heavy especially after Avengers Infinity War.

Source?  Because what I recall was this:

Which is not nearly the same thing.

As for near the OW, I found this from Deadline a couple of days before release:

In regards to the sequel’s fun factor, it’s more electric than the first one by leaps and bounds further bolstered by reviews that are a tad more stellar than the original at 83% certified fresh to 82% on Rotten Tomatoes. While Fandango shows pre-sales for Ant-Man and the Wasp outpacing Doctor Strange at the same point in time, a deeper MCU title that debuted to $85M, word is most advance ticket sales services are showing the sequel’s pre-sales to being equal or better than last July’s Spider-Man: Homecoming which opened in the U.S./Canada to $117M. The first Ant-Man opened to $57.2M stateside at 3,856 locations.

'pre-sales outpacing Doctor Strange' would hardly put it in the "Top 4".

Think you're probably thinking of that 'first 24 hour thing'.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

43 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I would take these Fandango reports with a grain of salt considering Ant-Man and the Wasp was the #4 MCU movie at the time it was released but it had one of Marvel's lowest opening weekends. Maybe MCU has become very presales heavy especially after Avengers Infinity War.

I'm not rooting against Captain Marvel, I just hope fans don't set their expectations too high and then feel disappointed when the movie does less than the $200 million they are predicting. Anything over $100 million would be excellent for it. The budget clearly isn't high, and it's going to be a very profitable movie for Marvel. It will prove them female superheroes are just as commercially viable as the white male heroes they have been put front and center for an entire decade.

CM looks expensive and a lot of CGI with the space scenes 

Here's what my hometown theater is looking like tonight for Dragon 3 atm:

Rave Cinemas Showtimes (Thursday 4:45 P.M. CST)

Real D 3D showings (also includes DBOX):

6:00 - 24/78

8:45 - 6/78

2D showing (* = showing includes DBOX):

*6:45 - 70/135

7:25 - 36/238

*9:25 - 4/135

10:05 - 2/238

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Wonder89 said:

Sorry, but I don’t trust Wikipedia, I’m going to waiting for better sources

It comes from acres of articles and the initial film application...so better than it usually is...

https://fastlane.louisianaeconomicdevelopment.com/Film/FilmSearchDetails.aspx?ProjNum=v8iW1KyPbbFKHZqlH6vGVA%3d%3d

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Thanks 1

I’m a bit late to the preview game for Dragon 3 but it looks like the entirety of the 7:00 UltraScreen seems bigger than all of Lego 2’s Thursday previews and may be a bit bigger than Grinch and it’s doing really good for animation in that format.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 4

How to Train Your Dragon 3 614 3818 16.08%
Fighting with my Family 42 1695 2.48%

Dragon Comps:

181% of Peter Rabbit (45.3M)

24% of Incredibles 2 (43.9M)

161% of Hotel Transylvania 3 (71.2M)

171% of Christopher Robin (42M)

136% of Grinch (92M)

237% of Spider-Verse (83.8M)

159% of Lego Movie 2 (54.1M)

Still wanting to be pessimistic and predict in the 40s, but I guess it could reach the 50s judging by that Lego Movie comp

Family comps:

52% of Game Night (8.9M)

65% of Blockers (13.3M)

100% of Tag (14.9M)

95% of Spy Who Dumped Me (11.5M)

116% of Instant Familiy (16.9M)

Pretty solid results.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

North Shore Cinema 

2/21/19

6:00 - unknown 

7:00 - 55/301 - UltraScreen 

8:00 - 3/98 - RealD

8:35 - 37/146

10:35 - 6/98

120% ahead of Lego 2 ($3.29M previews) and 2% ahead of Grinch ($2.24M previews). In my opinion it’ll lean more towards the latter but this is very good.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to note Lego 2 (I was missing the pivotal 7:00 in UltraScreen but I doubt it’d sold much) sold 47 tickets where one showing of Dragon sold 55 in UltraScreen which sucks for family films. The Grinch finished with 99 tickets for the night and had 57 for it’s first showing in a regular theater and not limited by UltraScreen.

Dragon 3 has eclipsed Grinch by a ticket (100 > 99)

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

Captain Marvel Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-14 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

34.81%

Total Showings Added Today:       2

Total Seats Added Today:          155

Total Seats Sold Today:             112

1.3735x as many tickets sold as Black Panther 14 days before release. [Captain Marvel has 58 days of pre-sales compared to Black Panther's 30 days]*

.4935x as many tickets sold as Infinity War 14 days before release. [Captain Marvel has 58 days of pre-sales compared to Infinity War's 41 days]

1.5096x as many tickets sold as Deadpool 2 14 days before release. [Captain Marvel has 58 days of pre-sales compared to DP2's 29 days]

1.1743x as many tickets sold as Solo 14 days before release. [Captain Marvel has 58 days of pre-sales compared to Solo's 20 days]

2.6847x as many tickets sold as Jurassic World 2 14 days before release. [Captain Marvel has 58 days of pre-sales compared to JW2's 22 days]

2.3804x as many tickets sold as Fantastic Beasts 2 14 days before release. [Captain Marvel has 58 days of pre-sales compared to FB2's 30 days]

* See spoiler box for different comps with BP

Day T-14 Comp:

BP:      178 tickets sold [1 sellout/68 showings     |      4063/6815 seas left  | 40.38% sold]

IW:      144 tickets sold [3 sellouts/118 showings |   3635/11295 seats left  | 67.82% sold]

DP2:   177 tickets sold [0 sellouts/104 showings |  10465/12969 seats left  | 19.31% sold]

Solo:     59 tickets sold [0 sellouts/87 showings   |     6129/9348 seats left  | 34.44% sold]

JW2:      59 tickets sold [0 sellouts/97 showings   |   8705/10113 seats left  | 13.92% sold]

FB2:      42 tickets sold  [0 sellouts/94 showings  |  11789/13377 seats left  | 11.87% sold]

====

Further BP Comps inside Spoiler Box:

Spoiler

Due to having more reserved seating info now than when BP debuted in Sacramento, two more BP-only comp charts:

**** NOTE ****

Studio Movie Grill Rocklin (which has been on sale since the beginning of Captain Marvel's pre-sale run) was just added at this point in Black Panther's pre-sale run.  Thus it will now be added to this report, and all future reports, for comparisons but will NOT count as 'tickets sold today'.

**** NOTE ****

==========

Captain Marvel Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-14 Days and counting

(Exact same theaters/reserved seating info as Black Panther)

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

35.91%

Total Showings Added Today:      2

Total Seats Added Today:         155

Total Seats Sold Today:              83

1.0988x as many tickets sold as Black Panther 14 days before release. [Captain Marvel has 58 days of pre-sales compared to Black Panther's 30 days]

---

Captain Marvel Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-14 Days and counting

(Equivalent reserved seating info as Black Panther plus Regal Delta Shores which opened in the interim)

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

36.32%

Total Shows Added Today:           2

Total Seats Added Today:         155

Total Seats Sold Today:            100

1.2398x as many tickets sold as Black Panther 14 days before release. [Captain Marvel has 58 days of pre-sales compared to Black Panther's 30 days]

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

starting to fall behind DP2 :bagoverhead:

Cause Cap Marvel has had a far longer pre-sales run than the other films I expect it'll start to fall behind most of them except Infinity War which cause it's run was long too Cap Marvel is actually gaining some ground on it (relatively speaking). 

Actually if Cap Marvel ends up getting a Thursday Night Preview Number similar to Deadpool 2 that's actually a very good result. 

16 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Cause Cap Marvel has had a far longer pre-sales run than the other films I expect it'll start to fall behind most of them except Infinity War which cause it's run was long too Cap Marvel is actually gaining some ground on it (relatively speaking). 

Actually if Cap Marvel ends up getting a Thursday Night Preview Number similar to Deadpool 2 that's actually a very good result. 

a Thursday previews number similar to DP2 would only land Captain Marvel in the 130M-150M range.. which is great, but if CM wants to touch Beauty and the beast's OW record it's gonna need something in the 20s imo.

15 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

a Thursday previews number similar to DP2 would only land Captain Marvel in the 130M-150M range.. which is great, but if CM wants to touch Beauty and the beast's OW record it's gonna need something in the 20s imo.

its still have 2 weeks at least also i think that the sales after the reactions have gone up and personaly i think that it can land  in 20 range ,even though  it could hit 160 million ow with 18 previews 

Edited by john2000