grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

I totally forgot about tomorrow. 

Shazam has to do very good today. 

Because , when Endgame tickets start selling I can see increase in CM also. If the Special Look did contain CM then it will have a very good hold. Probably around 14M+ Weekend. 

Edited by Matthew
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

sometimes ticket sale isn't so helpful. I remember Venom is not strong in pre-sale but finally hit $80M by the powerful buzz. Hard to say if Shazam! is also the case.

Venom's week of numbers were tracking rather high from the onset in the US - ahead of AM&TW , AQM  and JW

Fandango App Monday Tues Wed Thursday
Black Panther 35,429 36,302 39,934 65,453
Avengers: Infinity War 49,836 54,892 68,826 206,000
Deadpool 2 23,134 28,896 41,212  
SW: Solo 13,688 15,855 28,533  
Jurassic World 2 9,310 12,761 23,266  
Antman & The Wasp  6,613 5,990 11,108  
Venom 13,602 13,818 20,867 31,569
Aquaman 8,502 9,671 15,063 25,201
Captain Marvel 33,951 37,060 49,745 64,456

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Matthew said:

I totally forgot about tomorrow. 

Shazam has to do vert good today. 

Because , when Endgame tickets start selling I can see increase in CM also. If the Special Look did contain CM then it will have a very good hold. Probably around 14M+ Weekend. 

Yeah sorry to say but nothing right now points to Shazam doing well. I don't know if its because of bad marketing or due to the DC brand but the hype seems pretty much dead in the water.

It seems as i expected, all the comic book movie fans that turned out so massively to Captain Marvel and will turn out even more massively for Endgame in a few weeks are just skipping Shazam and saving money.

That is the problem for Shazam in this crowded period, almost no one sees Shazam as a must see movie so most people that are interested in Shazam will just wait to see it at home instead of paying to see it at the cinema.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 2
  • Knock It Off 2

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Venom's week of numbers were tracking rather high from the onset in the US - ahead of AM&TW , AQM  and JW

Fandango App Monday Tues Wed Thursday
Black Panther 35,429 36,302 39,934 65,453
Avengers: Infinity War 49,836 54,892 68,826 206,000
Deadpool 2 23,134 28,896 41,212  
SW: Solo 13,688 15,855 28,533  
Jurassic World 2 9,310 12,761 23,266  
Antman & The Wasp  6,613 5,990 11,108  
Venom 13,602 13,818 20,867 31,569
Aquaman 8,502 9,671 15,063 25,201
Captain Marvel 33,951 37,060 49,745 64,456

I hope Shazam turns out to be walk up friendly like A quiet place ☺️☺️☺️

5 minutes ago, LordNox said:

Yeah sorry to say but nothing right now points to Shazam doing well. I don't know if its because of bad marketing or due to the DC brand but the hype seems pretty much dead in the water.

It seems as i expected, all the comic book movie fans that turned out so massively to Captain Marvel and will turn out even more massively for Endgame in a few weeks are just skipping Shazam and saving money.

That is the problem for Shazam in this crowded period, almost no one sees Shazam as a must see movie so most people that are interested in Shazam will just wait to see it at home instead of paying to see it at the cinema.

Is this seriously a troll account? All of his posts are about how Shazam is going to do terrible.

• Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, LordNox said:

I don't know if its because of bad marketing or due to the DC brand but the hype seems pretty much dead in the water

Yeah, because Aquaman flopped hard due to the DC brand, right?

A lot of your posts are incredibly trollish.

• Like 2

Just now, LordNox said:

For over a week people have been saying this but Shazam continues to sell terrible.

Cool...still think people should still chill for a minute, especially since Shazam isn't selling that bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Can you guys just wait a few hours before you sound the death knell on Shazam?

I’ll give you 24 hours, then it’s all over and we have to cancel the movie if PS are too low 😛 

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

Yes, Presales are low. 

But what if, Movie connects with family (which I think it will). It could have 

Incredible legs

Become very walk up Friendly. 

Presales are uses to say what's selling hot or not and that's it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

The %s will be crazy skewed b/c of EG but that shouldn't affect the amount of tickets sold for Shazam by much

But do you think that fans who will shell out $25 for IMAX Endgame tickets tomorrow might wait a little before shelling out another for Shazam so quickly?

2 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

How’s PS doing compared to TOD and AQP on Fandango’s pre-sales? I want to see if it’s more likely going closer to $40m than dropping in the low $20m.

Well, after eleven hours, it already beat out Truth or Dare's full day of presales. It should also at least come close to AQP's #s.

But of course, it's a bit unfair to compare two original horrors with a King adaptation, so keep that stuff in mind.

• Thanks 1

For Shazam's opener, I'd be much more concerned about theater sets at this point than presales...unlike a month ago, when Captain Marvel got the mother of all clear outs, there are a lot of holdovers that theaters will probably want to give screens to and there's a 2nd decently-sized opener this weekend, as well...

Hopefully, Shazam can get 2+ full screens at 12s and below (and better would be 3-4 screens, which is the normal superhero minimum) - if it can't get that kinda set everywhere, it really won't matter what these presale numbers are b/c there will be a built-in maximum for the weekend...

EDIT: For example. my Cinemark 12 looks like this right now today...

Dumbo (3)

Us (2)

Captain Marvel (2)

Foreign Films (1)

5 Feet Apart (1)

Wonder Park (1)

HTTYD 3 (1)

They have already assigned 1 screen to Shazam and Pet Semetary, and I'm betting those will come from the doubles on CM and Us...but after that, there's not a lot of give, depending on how Disney wrote the Dumbo contract - they could find a screen dropping HTTYD 3 and another by splitting Wonder Park and 5 Feet Apart, so that's 2 more possible...but if Dumbo gets to keep all the screens, that's all they can get.  So, there's not a lot of give...and depending on Dumbo, there really might not be any...(and even if there is, and they drop Dumbo to 1.5, you still don't have the possible clear out that a Marvel movie usually gets)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Thanks 1

So, my closest theater is relatively new to pre-ordered seats and such, and is still a very day-of/walk-up focused theater so take this for what it is:

For Friday showings, Shazam has 8 screenings. Across those screenings, there are about 1500 seats available. So far, 6 tickets have been sold. (Two of them from me :PMy showing is in the large screening (300+ seats) on Friday at 7pm . I'm currently the only two tickets sold for that screening.

I think this speaks to a couple of things which we already kind of know:

1) Shazam isn't a super hot brand/commodity like MCU movies. It feels like more of a "Hey let's go see a movie" on the day of instead of "I got us tickets for Avengers!" weeks in advance.

2) This smaller size of the movie makes it less necessary to buy tickets early. Like, when I bought my tickets on Saturday, literally 0 tickets had been sold.

If people don't have to buy the tickets early, it gives them more flexibility for later.

Edit: In response to @TwoMisfits - My theater has a total of 8 showings of Shazam currently listed. Four on the "stadium screen," two on a 3D screen and two on a standard smaller screen. For comparison, Pet Sematary has 9 showings, all on the standard screen. [Today, Us has 12 showings, CM has 6. Dumbo has 8 with the same distribution Shazam has]

Edited by Djsoke

Shazam is fine. Even if it crash and burn and only make $300M WW it'll still be profitable due to its budget. I guess the overperformance of recent Superhero movies like IW , AQM and CM skew the expectation a little bit. I have a feeling  Shazam will be a second victim because of that after AMATW where a movie makes good amount of money but labeled as a disappointment thanks to those expectations.