grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

9 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

But MCU still has its walk-ins base.

For this movie? I wonder though cause it's clearly a part II and 3 hours + previews is really very long if you're just like killing time before dinner or something. 

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

All caught up now on my sheets.  At least when it comes to error corrections and what not. 👍  Now just have to keep a half-an-eye on Fandango for any new showings and I can treat this as a 'normal' event film.

Well, normal-ish.

===

Fun fact, btw.  The screen count as of yesterday was 138 showings across 16 theaters in the region.  Add in the 5 missing showings from SMG, and that brings it up to 143 showings across 17 theaters in the region.

Right now, as the dust* settles, it's at 186 showings across 18 theaters, less than 15 hours later.  Part of it is a theater suddenly jumping into the mix somewhat unexpectedly (raising the screen count by 5 and then by another 4 after a few hours for a total of 9).  But even if that theater was taken out of the equation and we only focused on theater expansion from those theaters I knew would be showing it in the Great Sacramento region yesterday, I get something like 34 showings added today, over the course of the day.  38 if you count the 4 added to the theater that jumped into the mix unexpectedly.

* No pun intended, honest. :)

Just insanity as some theaters tried in vain to keep up with demand.

And since I know folks will ask, Infinity War finished at 182 screens across 16 theaters in the region (not counting the local drive-in here or in the previous paragraphs).  And as I have noted too many times, Endgame might show up in that new theater that is scheduled to open a week before Endgame bows. So believe it or not, there's still plenty of room for screen growth in Sacratomato.  Could easily top 250 showings when all is said and done.

PS:::  All I really did the last 90 minutes or so was an error check on total number of seats available.  If folks want an update on seats sold, y'all just have to wait for the official report. ;)

@Porthos atrocities.:gold:

1 hour ago, TMP said:

WB can get a killer clown movie to $320m domestic/$700m worldwide. Why couldn't they have worked their marketing magic on this? 

A killer clown movie based upon one of the most iconic and well known horror books of the last century, that also has the nostalgia boost from the previous well-known miniseries (and the 80’s nostalgia aspect).

Edited by dakus

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

All caught up now on my sheets.  At least when it comes to error corrections and what not. 👍  Now just have to keep a half-an-eye on Fandango for any new showings and I can treat this as a 'normal' event film.

Well, normal-ish.

===

Fun fact, btw.  The screen count as of yesterday was 138 showings across 16 theaters in the region.  Add in the 5 missing showings from SMG, and that brings it up to 143 showings across 17 theaters in the region.

Right now, as the dust* settles, it's at 186 showings across 18 theaters, less than 15 hours later.  Part of it is a theater suddenly jumping into the mix somewhat unexpectedly (raising the screen count by 5 and then by another 4 after a few hours for a total of 9).  But even if that theater was taken out of the equation and we only focused on theater expansion from those theaters I knew would be showing it in the Great Sacramento region yesterday, I get something like 34 showings added today, over the course of the day.  38 if you count the 4 added to the theater that jumped into the mix unexpectedly.

* No pun intended, honest. :)

Just insanity as some theaters tried in vain to keep up with demand.

And since I know folks will ask, Infinity War finished at 182 screens across 16 theaters in the region (not counting the local drive-in here or in the previous paragraphs).  And as I have noted too many times, Endgame might show up in that new theater that is scheduled to open a week before Endgame bows. So believe it or not, there's still plenty of room for screen growth in Sacratomato.  Could easily top 250 showings when all is said and done.

PS:::  All I really did the last 90 minutes or so was an error check on total number of seats available.  If folks want an update on seats sold, y'all just have to wait for the official report. ;)

What did the final screen count for CM come in at? I remember it was over 200 but not the exact number.

The fact that Endgame, with a 30 minute longer run time, could produce 40% more showings that IW is crazy. I hate to believe in $300 million, because it sounds insane, but I'm starting to wonder....

I would say that IW turned the MCU into a presales heavy franchise in the same way The Avengers turned it from a niche franchise to general audience's favorite. (Both on a WW scale)

Aren't CM and AM2 some of (if not the most) frontloaded/presales heavy Marvel movies? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Menor said:

Probably not all of it though. A decent fraction of this ridiculous of a presale increase has to be cannibalizing from walk-ins.

Maybe not precisely cannibalizing, but the simple fact of the matter is that if presale tickets manage to sell out a majority of shows in advance, walk-up sales will simply not be possible. Theaters will surely be turning lots of families away on Friday and Saturday.

12 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

R.I.P. @Porthos Sleep till 25.04.2019.

11 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

We gave you 25 days of sleep. Now be a good boy and give us Sacramento numbers. 

BTW, Charlie.  Don't think I didn't notice these posts this morning when I woke up.  But I was a bit too busy to give them the response they deserved at the time.

Now though, I have plenty of time. :)

So the response I think these posts warrant is as follows:

*this space intentionally left blank*

Yeah.  I think that just about covers it. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

What did the final screen count for CM come in at? I remember it was over 200 but not the exact number.

The fact that Endgame, with a 30 minute longer run time, could produce 40% more showings that IW is crazy. I hate to believe in $300 million, because it sounds insane, but I'm starting to wonder....

CM (final):  216 showings across 17 theaters in the region (includes 7 showings at the local drive in)

EG (Day 1): 186 showings across 18 theaters in the region (does NOT include any showings from the local drive in)

IW (final):   182 showings across 17 theaters in the region (includes 7 showings at the local drive in)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So, let's talk my locals and their openers sets' for the week, so the "max" number can be set:)...

As expected, it's a tight market, and that worked out worse for Shazam than Pet Semetary...

As of now, my locals are booked as follows:

Cinemark 12

Shazam (2) - 9 showings - 2 3d, 7 2d

Pet Semetary (2) - but 11 showings 

Only good news for Shazam here is that it got both of the biggest theaters...PS settled for the next largest size...

Regal 12

Shazam (2) - 9 showings - 3 3d, 6 2d

Pet Semetary (1) - 5 showings

Bad news for both movies here - neither got the biggest screen (both do have large ones, though), and Pet Semetary was forced into only 1 screen...

Neither of these bodes well for "enormous" numbers or "way over tracking" type finishes...9 showings is so low for a super, with supers normally getting 18-22 each at these locals...so, I gotta think we're looking at Shazam now arriving in the tracking range due to just low showing and seating counts available...now, tracking is not a bad number, and it might lead to a beautiful 3 weeks of legs...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

tenor.gif

I'll post the Day 1 Sacramento numbers sometime around 10:30pm my time, about 4 hours from now.  Give or take about 30 minutes.

I like to have a full day in, and things usually die down enough by 9:30pm/10pm to call it a day.

'sides, I  haven't had much "me" time today and I got things to catch up on. :lol:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'll post the Day 1 Sacramento numbers sometime around 10:30pm my time, about 4 hours from now.  Give or take about 30 minutes.

I like to have a full day in, and I things usually die down enough by 9:30pm/10pm to call it a day.

'sides, I  haven't had much "me" time today and I got things to catch up on. :lol:

No, I was just having fun. No hurries from my side.

I know its tough out there tracking. Take your time, mate and yeah full day is better.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Thanks 1

Shazam! Thursday Previews @ Cinemark Davenport 18 IMAX

IMAX

4:00 - 7/387

7:05 - 29/387

10:15 - 3/387

Real D 3D

7:30 - 0/86

10:45 - 0/86

2D

4:55 - 26/135

8:00 - 27/135

11:15 - 3/135

95/964 (9.85% of all seats sold)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

But MCU still has its walk-ins base.

I think we need to be cautious about walk-ups with End Game, because there might not be screens to walk up to.

Larger markets like Los Angeles or New York can just keep opening up screens.  It will be the smaller markets that once they're full, they're full.  We have the only IMAX in the state.  As of this afternoon, it was 45% booked for the weekend.  That was six hours into the first day.  Unless the theater decides to stay open 24/7 on OW, there's no more IMAX screens.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I think we need to be cautious about walk-ups with End Game, because there might not be screens to walk up to.

Larger markets like Los Angeles or New York can just keep opening up screens.  It will be the smaller markets that once they're full, they're full.  We have the only IMAX in the state.  As of this afternoon, it was 45% booked for the weekend.  That was six hours into the first day.  Unless the theater decides to stay open 24/7 on OW, there's no more IMAX screens.  

I mean sure, but at that point it means it's maximizing it's gross potential anyways, so walk ups don't much matter if it comes to that.

41 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

Shazam! Thursday Previews @ Cinemark Davenport 18 IMAX

IMAX

4:00 - 7/387

7:05 - 29/387

10:15 - 3/387

Real D 3D

7:30 - 0/86

10:45 - 0/86

2D

4:55 - 26/135

8:00 - 27/135

11:15 - 3/135

95/964 (9.85% of all seats sold)

so this aint that bad at all for previews night. it will only rise tomorrow and thursday morning.