The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

15 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

First to 200M: Avengers franchise with 207 and change  

First to 250M: Avengers franchise with 257 and change  

First to 300M...    

‘Tis an iron law.

I’d say it’s Destiny. 

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I’m with Venom, final PS some 145-175M. ~50% above TFA.      

And FWIW I think it will still play more MCU than SW on Sat+Sun. The “+” on that BOP prediction was a good hedge.

The thing with the "playing like an SW film" argument is that even with the presale multiplier of TFA, it would still cross 300 million, and SW films have holiday-boosted presales which would obviously make the PSm lower than a Marvel film. Maybe it won't hit 300 million, but that won't be because it "played like an SW film", it'll be because presales were so large that all comps broke down.

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Maybe I'm misreading the general vibe but it's sounding like 300 gets more and more likely by the day.

I mean it destroys a new presale record seemingly every day and shows no signs of slowing down, at this point it would need to be historically presale-heavy to miss it. (caveat, it's possible, though not likely, that this movie in particular will be historically presale-heavy given the finale+cliffhanger status)

• Like 1

It's pretty crazy that $300M now feels like the smart prediction, when even a month ago I would not have considered the possibility. Even if that doesn't happen, it seems almost guaranteed to shatter Infinity War's record, similar to how Deathly Hallows 2 was a just a placeholder until the first Avengers came along.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

It's pretty crazy that $300M now feels like the smart prediction, when even a month ago I would not have considered the possibility. Even if that doesn't happen, it seems almost guaranteed to shatter Infinity War's record, similar to how Deathly Hallows 2 was a just a placeholder until the first Avengers came along.

dread it ...

run from it....

the opening weekend shall be broken all the same...

So far, 29 AMC locations will be open around the clock Thursday through Friday, while an additional 18 theaters are scheduled to be open around the clock Thursday through Saturday, or Friday through Sunday. Finally, another 17 AMC sites are scheduled to be open around the clock Thursday night through Sunday.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/avengers-endgame-amc-theatres-adds-record-number-round-clock-shows-1203781

• Astonished 4

With Disney/Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame busting every imaginable pre-sales record at AMC in the circuit’s history, the No. 1 exhibitor in the world is making sure the Russo Brothers pic is available on as many screens as possible with millions of tickets still available stateside.

As Deadline reported earlier, AMC, together with the No. 2 and 3 chains Regal and Cinemark, are estimated to be driving 90% of the $120M-plus advance ticket sales for Endgame according to industry sources, a figure that far exceeds the $100M presales made by Star Wars: Force Awakens before it opened in December 2015.

This afternoon AMC reported that 29 of its theatres are scheduled to be open around the clock this Thursday through Friday for Endgame. In addition, 18 AMC theatres will be opened around the clock Thursday through Saturday. And on top of that, 17 additional AMC locations will be opening between Thursday night and Sunday for 72 hours straight

“AMC guests have already purchased more tickets to Avengers: Endgame than we’ve ever sold in advance of a film’s release – and our first shows aren’t until Thursday evening,” said Elizabeth Frank, EVP Worldwide Programming for AMC. “With a desire to satisfy as many Marvel fans as possible on Thursday and through the weekend, AMC’s programming team is reviewing ticket sales theatre by theatre and adding showtimes later and later. In fact, there are multiple AMC locations that will be operating around the clock from Thursday night through Sunday.”

As far as those AMC locations showing all 22 titles in the Marvel Cinematic Universe this week, there are three in the country: AMC Lincoln Square 13 (New York City); AMC River East 21 (Chicago) and AMC Metreon 16 (San Francisco).

Stateside, B.O. Analysts believe that Endgame should make between $260M-$270M this weekend, with a shot at $300M.  Avengers: Infinity War currently owns the opening weekend domestic record with $257.6M.

How AMC Theatres Is Prepping For The ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Onslaught This Weekend

https://deadline.com/2019/04/avengers-endgame-amc-theaters-showtimes-advance-ticket-sales-1202599869/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 3
  • Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

10 am showings at my theaters are 2/3 sold for Saturday.

Never ever seen that before. 

Marvel is undoubtedly king of walk-up Saturdays, but with this unprecedented amount of pre-sales, it’s gonna be a real challenge to that status since will there even be much seats left to walk up too lol.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Sam said:

Marvel is undoubtedly king of walk-up Saturdays, but with this unprecedented amount of pre-sales, it’s gonna be a real challenge to that status since will there even be much seats left to walk up too lol.

i think a lot of theaters are gonna have their biggest Saturdays ever in $. 

My local theater had its busiest Saturday ever for IW. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

6 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

i think a lot of theaters are gonna have their biggest Saturdays ever in $. 

My local theater had its busiest Saturday ever for IW. 

I honestly don’t care much for previews record :ph34r:

But I want 90M+ Saturday. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1