grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

3 minutes ago, BudStarr said:

This is the other thing I’ve witnessed. The 10am hour has just updated on akvalley and it currently adds up to exactly 3000. Check it again in an hour after the next update and it will be 4000. The last batch of 1000 hasn’t been added yet.

Yup that’s a trend I noticed last year. Each update also updates the hour before it 

Aladdin is starting with 1 2D showtime and 1 3D showtime at my theater. Thats typically what my theater gives movies (2 showtimes) unless it’s a special circumstance like they’re expecting a movie to be huge or for WB now since they have 4PM Thursday previews (WTF) and thus Shazam! And Pikachu started off with 3 showtimes instead of 2. 

SLOP started off with 6 though so :ph34r:

Edited by Nova

This Pulse discovery actually really sucks since we've been using it as an absolute ticket sale number (if sampled as well as sets) and not a relative one.

And as pre-sales get more popular, Pulse will probably hit that cap more often on the 15 minute basis.

Probably ways to mitigate it but I'm not that clever enough this early in the morning to figure it out.

Edited by Porthos
  • Sad 1

Can folks who have a Cinemark theater locally do me a solid and let me know if any of them have the regular Aladdin showtimes up for its opening night?  Right now the only one locally that has anything is the fan event at Century Arden.  Otherwise, nada.

Regal, Studio Movie Grill, and Cinema West have their inital slates up, FWIW.

(This is gonna make a first day comp annoying, as Cinemark has around 33% of the local theaters or so)

Aladdin has two shows at North Shore Cinema and is confirmed for Ultrascreen.

Small chance PikaPika gets it as well as Endgame doesn't have Ultrascreen up at night, so the two may be sharing.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

This Pulse discovery actually really sucks since we've been using it as an absolute ticket sale number (if sampled) and not a relative one.

And as pre-sales get more popular, Pulse will probably hit that cap more often on the 15 minute basis.

Probably ways to mitigate it but I'm not that clever enough this early in the morning to figure it out.

Don't think we need to change things that much. Pulse is arguably kind of like Nielsen. It may not track everything, but its sample is solid enough we can make a good guesstimate to what Fandango is doing and how much interest there is in a movie.

The only exceptions of course are when there's a big event movie, but we just have to take that stuff into consideration when extrapolating stuff, and mention it in case people have meltdowns over potentially low numbers.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Can folks who have a Cinemark theater locally do me a solid and let me know if any of them have the regular Aladdin showtimes up for its opening night?  Right now the only one locally that has anything is the fan event at Century Arden.  Otherwise, nada.

(This is gonna make a first day comp annoying, as Cinemark has around 33% of the local theaters or so)

Yes my cinemark has regular Aladdin showtimes up for Thursday and Friday 

• Thanks 1

Final got some comparisons for the Endgame killer:

At North Shore, Pikachu (17) is running about 29.17% behind Despicable M3 (24) ($51.28M), 49% behind Venom (33) ($41.2M) and 78.5% (79) behind I2 ($38.94M). Now, before we start panicking, I want to say that DM3, Venom and I2 are about 1-2 days ahead, either or I’m not satisfied.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
Still fishing HT3SV and Coco so hold horses
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

31 minutes ago, Porthos said:

This Pulse discovery actually really sucks since we've been using it as an absolute ticket sale number (if sampled as well as sets) and not a relative one.

I don't remember it being a huge issue until Endgame though, for Captain marvel it was mostly fine

36 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Is it the https://www.fandango.com/dataviz/ that do not update is last 1,000 sales faster than 15 minutes anymore or the tracker ?

Back in the days the guy that made it if I remember correctly did check much more than only 4 timse by hours (maybe every 2-3 minutes) for a new data entry.

57 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Bellweather Cinemark I follow in Salt Lake has two Aladdin showtimes up for Thursday and 5 (1 3d, 4 regular) for Friday. The preview night 6:00 PM has 2/104 sold currently, all the other showtimes have yet to sell any tickets.

• Thanks 1