grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

50 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They're not going to. :whosad:

Brightburn will probably knock out The Hustle on MT,com by Thursday...the Hustle is getting dumped everywhere and didn't make any real DOM BO last weekend...now, hopping Pika may take longer...

7 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

It's a bastardization of Superman. I'm all for it not breaking out. No need to destroy characters people love. Let's not turn every Disney character into a horrible film.

It's a totally different story. It's a "what if Superman was evil" story, but it's not even the same character... the characters are original. That's not a bastardization at all.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

6 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

It's a bastardization of Superman. I'm all for it not breaking out. No need to destroy characters people love. Let's not turn every Disney character into a horrible film.

lol what? I don't really care to see Brightburn cause it seems lame but the concept behind it (what if Superman was evil?) is definitely an interesting one for exploration.

• Like 1

From Deadline: 

Disney’s live-action take of their 1992 half-billion grossing animated hit Aladdin finally takes flight over the Memorial Day weekend frame, and while we’ve typically trumpeted the lofty-end of projections for most global launches, especially Disney’s, we’re going low on this one with $73M-$75M domestic (including Monday’s holiday), and $173M-$175M worldwide

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

It's a totally different story. It's a "what if Superman was evil" story, but it's not even the same character... the characters are original. That's not a bastardization at all.

To me that's like saying if what if Jesus was Satan. You're taking the original story and twisting it into something nasty and awful.

"our biggest fear was they were going to take our script and bastardize it" Use of bastardization as an example. Definition: "to modify especially by introducing discordant or disparate elements."

Make enough money to where people don't lose stuff but where we don't see evil versions of every character people love would be great. I'm sure some will love it, but I would hate it as it tears down the original character. Everyone knew from the from the start what the premise was.

Edited by cdsacken

Just now, Nova said:

From Deadline: 

Disney’s live-action take of their 1992 half-billion grossing animated hit Aladdin finally takes flight over the Memorial Day weekend frame, and while we’ve typically trumpeted the lofty-end of projections for most global launches, especially Disney’s, we’re going low on this one with $73M-$75M domestic (including Monday’s holiday), and $173M-$175M worldwide

$75M 4-day is so absurd it’s not even funny. I can’t imagine a scenario it does this kinds of numbers. But of course it makes for a much better headline when the numbers are $20-30M+ higher 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

$75M 4-day is so absurd it’s not even funny. I can’t imagine a scenario it does this kinds of numbers. But of course it makes for a much better headline when the numbers are $20-30M+ higher 

Well now I definitely feel like it's gonna be 95+. Deadline thank you for your ridiculousness. 175-200 could happen though imo.

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

From Deadline: 

holy shit. deadline, you're drunk!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

To me that's like saying if what if Jesus was Satan. You're taking the original story and twisting it into something nasty and awful.

...you are aware the movie's not actually about Superman, right? Cinema is a vast landscape that allows for different interpretations of themes.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

...you are aware the movie's not actually about Superman, right? Cinema is a vast landscape that allows for different interpretations on themes.

" baby literally falls out of the sky and is raised by an unassuming farm couple." It's basically what if Superman was a evil sociopath. Some love that stuff, me not so much.

Anyways back to numbers,

Aladdin has widened it's lead on Avengers and is coming for Wick on the 24 hour count. #1 comfortably on the hourly count.

12 minutes ago, Nova said:

Live surveillance footage of Deadline's offices right now as they start Memorial Day weekend early:

Image result for i'm making smoothies gif

• Like 1

Hourly Sales

2019-05-22 08:00:00	696	Aladdin (2019)
2019-05-22 08:00:00	450	John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum
2019-05-22 08:00:00	269	Avengers Endgame (2019)
2019-05-22 08:00:00	135	Pokémon Detective Pikachu
2019-05-22 08:00:00	72	Aladdin 3D
2019-05-22 08:00:00	71	Brightburn

Brightburn at #6! (technically 5 if you combine Aladdin)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

"our biggest fear was they were going to take our script and bastardize it" Use of bastardization as an example. Definition: "to modify especially by introducing discordant or disparate elements."

Make enough money to where people don't lose stuff but where we don't see evil versions of every character people love would be great. I'm sure some will love it, but I would hate it as it tears down the original character. Everyone knew from the from the start what the premise was.

It's not at all the same as if they turned Jesus into Satan. This is if you took someone who would be that original universe's equivalent of Jesus and twisted the story to make him Satan. But it's not Jesus and Satan per say. This is not directly associating the premise with the actual Superman. You know the idea is the same, but it's still not done with the same characters or universe. To me, a bastardization would be if this were in fact an actual Superman reboot where he's evil just because. (And yes, I know Injustice exists, but that's basically multiverse shit.) He's not called Clark Kent or Superman, therefore I don't care if the idea is kinda the same: it's not the same character, therefore it's no bastardization whatsoever.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

19 minutes ago, Nova said:

From Deadline: 

Looks a little low for Dom and, what WW number is that supposed to be for the OS Wend + Dom incl. Monday, or is Monday included OS too. 

In the article they state 100-120m OS Wend, so probably a wild mixture of everything.

I feel like the OS might even be a little high, while dom appears a little low, considering that would be a 65m 3-day OWend.

As at least in Germany thinks right now are pointing towards an opening below Cinderella and I appear to be on the more optimistic side...

14 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

" baby literally falls out of the sky and is raised by an unassuming farm couple." It's basically what if Superman was a evil sociopath. Some love that stuff, me not so much.

Anyways back to numbers,

Aladdin has widened it's lead on Avengers and is coming for Wick on the 24 hour count. #1 comfortably on the hourly count.

Isn't there already some evil version in the comix themselves (in another universe or thought?)

Is that good?

Kinda appears late, cause it's Wednesday already.

16 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Isn't there already some evil version in the comix themselves (in another universe or thought?)

Is that good?

Kinda appears late, cause it's Wednesday already.

As a direct parallel to Superman who wins.

It's late but I will take it.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Yes, which is why I'm surprised WB didn' t sue them for copyright infringement.

Or maybe they used the threat against Gunn to keep him on SS2.  :lol:

• Like 1