grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

On 2/28/2021 at 10:34 AM, DAJK said:

Any T&J numbers?

I am yet to get cS access back as there isn't still a regular flow of films in US from India yet. I expect by May I will get it back.

Even then WB isn't sharing the numbers on cS, so they won't be available anyways.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 11:16 PM, Eric and the Last Dragon said:

Boogie Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-3 and Counting (Thursday + Friday)

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 1 24 61 1128 5.41%

Boogie Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-2 and Counting (Thursday + Friday)

TOTALS 0 37 73 1904 3.83%

Total Showings Added: 13

Total Seats Added: 776

Total Sellouts Removed: 1

Total Seats Sold: 12

So here's the main theme for tonight: sellouts. For whatever reason, sellouts are acting pretty weird the past couple days. In Boogie's case, the one sellout showtime now just...went away, and you can buy tickets there still. Not entirely sure if it was a glitch or a mass leave, but it was very odd. FWIW, if you ignore the sold out show, Boogie sold about 26 tickets for both Thursday and Friday

• Like 3

On 3/1/2021 at 11:17 PM, Eric and the Last Dragon said:

Chaos Walking Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-3 and Counting (Thursday + Friday)

TOTALS 1 31 85 1957 4.34%

Chaos Walking Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-2 and Counting (Thursday + Friday)

TOTALS 0 73 84 4206 2.00%

Total Showings Added: 42

Total Seats Added: 2,249

Total Seats Sold: -1

This was another film that had its sales affected by a sold out showtime no longer sold out overnight. Again, this might be a glitch, but it is peculiar stuff. And yeah, if you ignore the one sellout, the movie sold 25 tickets for Thursday and Friday. Being below a non-starter like Boogie is not a good sign at the moment.

• Like 4

On 3/1/2021 at 11:17 PM, Eric and the Last Dragon said:

Raya and the Last Dragon Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-3 and Counting (Thursday + Friday)

TOTALS 0 37 126 2314 5.45%

Raya and the Last Dragon Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-2 and Counting (Thursday + Friday)

TOTALS 2 70 325 4511 7.20%

Total Showings Added: 33

Total Seats Added: 2,197

Total Sellouts Added: 2

Total Seats Sold: 199

So this is weird. Now all of a sudden Raya got two sellouts, for the two Thursday showtimes at one of the theaters I'm tracking. The one thing I should mention is that all the sellouts this past week were from separate theaters so it isn't one theater's faulty system being screwy...I assume. But I'll be curious if things change tomorrow, because then I'll be sure if it's the real deal or not. If you ignore the two sellouts, the tickets sold come up to about 30 tickets, which is...better than the other movies, but nothing too crazy. But again, I can't draw any strong conclusions since I have no comps to base myself off of.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

So I was checking out Endgame times in the thread. Don't think we will ever have to use it, but Wang's TFA numbers cant be compared with others because MTC1 increased its share by a lot by acquisition of another MTC in 2016.

That's how TFA and TLJ had same number despite obviously TLJ being much lower in PS than TFA.

Though that also means that TFA $36M was on some 5.3K screens while EG $53M was on 8K screen. TFA pre-sales were probably $150M ish while EG at around $190M.

Edited by jatvision
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

Could the sellouts be private watch parties getting denoted weirdly? Or do those have their own clear display?

They don't. When you click on a private watch party showtime, all you'll see is the list of movies that are your options.

2 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

Could the sellouts be private watch parties getting denoted weirdly? Or do those have their own clear display?

No. There’s a separate listing for private screenings

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jatvision said:

So I was checking out Endgame times in the thread. Don't think we will ever have to use it, but Wang's TFA numbers cant be compared with others because MTC1 increased its share by a lot by acquisition of another MTC in 2016.

That's how TFA and TLJ had same number despite obviously TLJ being much lower in PS than TFA.

Though that also means that TFA $36M was on some 5.3K screens while EG $53M was on 8K screen. TFA pre-sales were probably $150M ish while EG at around $190M.

That makes a lot of sense. TLJ and TFA being even in PS at MTC1 always bothered me, especially as it was reported in the trades that TLJ was like 80-85% of TFA PS and then you had confirmed that TFA was overall much higher. 

Edited by Menor

23 hours ago, Eric and the Last Dragon said:

Boogie Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-2 and Counting (Thursday + Friday)

TOTALS 0 37 73 1904 3.83%

Total Showings Added: 13

Total Seats Added: 776

Total Seats Sold: 12

So here's the main theme for tonight: sellouts. For whatever reason, sellouts are acting pretty weird the past couple days. In Boogie's case, the one sellout showtime now just...went away, and you can buy tickets there still. Not entirely sure if it was a glitch or a mass leave, but it was very odd. FWIW, if you ignore the sold out show, Boogie sold about 26 tickets for both Thursday and Friday

Boogie Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-1 and Counting (Thursday + Friday)

TOTALS 1 37 135 1904 7.09%

Total Sellouts Added: 1

Total Seats Sold: 62

If you take out the sold out show, it's about 26 tickets, so on par with yesterday when removing certain caveats. Nothing too terribly exciting, and it's also likely propped up because Philly has a significant Asian population.

• Like 1

Chaos Walking Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-2 and Counting (Thursday + Friday)

TOTALS 0 73 84 4206 2.00%

Total Showings Added: 42

Total Seats Added: 2,249

Total Seats Sold: -1

This was another film that had its sales affected by a sold out showtime no longer sold out overnight. Again, this might be a glitch, but it is peculiar stuff. And yeah, if you ignore the one sellout, the movie sold 25 tickets for Thursday and Friday. Being below a non-starter like Boogie is not a good sign at the moment.

Chaos Walking Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-1 and Counting (Thursday + Friday)

TOTALS 0 73 131 4206 3.11%

Total Seats Sold: 47

I...don't think this is very good stuff so far.

• Like 1

Raya and the Last Dragon Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-2 and Counting (Thursday + Friday)

TOTALS 2 70 325 4511 7.20%

Total Showings Added: 33

Total Seats Added: 2,197

Total Sellouts Added: 2

Total Seats Sold: 199

So this is weird. Now all of a sudden Raya got two sellouts, for the two Thursday showtimes at one of the theaters I'm tracking. The one thing I should mention is that all the sellouts this past week were from separate theaters so it isn't one theater's faulty system being screwy...I assume. But I'll be curious if things change tomorrow, because then I'll be sure if it's the real deal or not. If you ignore the two sellouts, the tickets sold come up to about 30 tickets, which is...better than the other movies, but nothing too crazy. But again, I can't draw any strong conclusions since I have no comps to base myself off of.

Raya and the Last Dragon Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-1 and Counting (Thursday + Friday)

TOTALS 2 70 431 4511 9.55%

Total Seats Sold: 106

So obviously this is a decline due to yesterday's sell outs. What is a good thing though is that it is a very strong jump from the sans-sellout of 30 tickets. Like I'm saying a million times here, I don't know if this leads to anything good or bad. And again, the lack of representation from some chains gives me pause. But this boost does make me a touch more optimistic since it was a fair ahead of the boosts from the other two openers, even if those movies weren't gonna make much even in normal times.

I dunno. I don't like setting people's hopes up only for them to get dashed so I think I'll just stay quiet now

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 3/5/2020 at 10:32 AM, Eric and the Last Dragon said:

Onward Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-1 and Counting

TOTALS 0 79 327 14,150 2.31%

Total Shows Added Today: 3

Total Seats Added Today: 282

Total Seats Sold Today: 84

On 2/13/2020 at 10:55 AM, Eric and the Last Dragon said:

Sonic the Hedgehog Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-1 and Counting

TOTALS 0 63 693 10,284 6.74%

Total Shows Added Today: 2

Total Seats Added Today: 98

Total Seats Sold Today: 198

I mean it's much better than Onward, all things considered. A bit lower than Sonic. Onward comp says $3.35M while Sonic comp gives $1.78M. But Raya is missing like 305 market, so $1.25-2.5M.

56 minutes ago, jatvision said:

I mean it's much better than Onward, all things considered. A bit lower than Sonic. Onward comp says $3.35M while Sonic comp gives $1.78M. But Raya is missing like 305 market, so $1.25-2.5M.

3M Th+Fri would be like an 11M weekend or something. Not impossible, but since it’s T-1 for previews but T-2 for true Fri and walk ups should be bigger on Fri it’s just very hard to compare.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

3M Th+Fri would be like an 11M weekend or something. Not impossible, but since it’s T-1 for previews but T-2 for true Fri and walk ups should be bigger on Fri it’s just very hard to compare.

Am I missing something -- why does true Friday matter for these comps?