grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

52 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Pessimistically maybe it began today with 3M normal tickets, 2M private showing, and had a low PSm to end with 5M normal, 2M private, for 7M. Then something like 5.5M Sat and 3.5M Sun for 16M.

:hahaha:

Oh 55 minute ago wandalegion, so stupid. I guess it makes sense retrospectively, but 1.2 PSm is low AF.   

So call today maybe 3.5+2, could see 3.5 tomorrow and 2.5M Sun for a weekend ballpark 12. 

11 hours ago, WandaLegion said:

:hahaha:

Oh 55 minute ago wandalegion, so stupid. I guess it makes sense retrospectively, but 1.2 PSm is low AF.   

So call today maybe 3.5+2, could see 3.5 tomorrow and 2.5M Sun for a weekend ballpark 12. 

I have noticed 50-55 minutes ago wandalegion is either very stupid or very smart. no middle ground.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I have noticed 50-55 minutes ago wandalegion is either very stupid or very smart. no middle ground.

Only people with boring opinions have middle ground 50 minutes ago selves ;) 

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Way more theaters are open right now than I expected, given the hospitalization, positive %, death, etc numbers. This looks like it will clear 10M anyway, honestly a positive indicator of audience interest in the big screen experience.

15 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

I may have missed it, but do we have any general idea of theater capacity domestically right now? Like 20-25% of this time last year? 

39% total theaters, most held to incredibly limited capacity and showings...I'd say about 10% of equivalent capacity vs last year (MAX) - it's likely lower with the biggest metros closed...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

39% total theaters, most held to incredibly limited capacity and showings...I'd say about 10% of equivalent capacity vs last year (MAX) - it's likely lower with the biggest metros closed...

Given that information / speculation, what do you think WW84 would have done in a non-Covid world? Over $150m OW? 

1 hour ago, VenomXXR said:

I may have missed it, but do we have any general idea of theater capacity domestically right now? Like 20-25% of this time last year? 

From Deadline today:

Note that WW1984 had close to 40% of all theaters open, which repped 56% of the box office. This compared to Croods 2, which achieved its opening from 44% of all domestic theaters open, which repped 60% of the box office, versus Tenet, which had access to a marketplace where 55% of all theaters were open and repped 70% of the box office.

My expectations for a non covid world are unchanged from my 125-160ish from a year ago, though I think the upper range is less likely with the reviews.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

From Deadline today:

My expectations for a non covid world are unchanged from my 125-160ish from a year ago, though I think the upper range is less likely with the reviews.

Reviews aren’t great but wouldn’t be enough to blunt its box office on opening weekend. It wasn’t rotten on RT on 12/25. It’s still not rotten (at least not yet) now. And most of the world don’t give a hoot about mixed RT scores and Twitter chatter. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Reviews aren’t great but wouldn’t be enough to blunt its box office on opening weekend. It wasn’t rotten on RT on 12/25. It’s still not rotten (at least not yet) now. And most of the world don’t give a hoot about mixed RT scores and Twitter chatter. 

I don’t think they would blunt the OW per se, it’s more that the upper end of that range was for if it got actively boosted by really sensational buzz, like a 94% or something where everyone was raving for a week about how it was the new best DCEU movie and beat DC since TDK.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 2