grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

So GvK all day on Wed, then?  No Tue previews.  Must admit I haven't been paying too much attention but from the few theaters that are presently open, that's what I'm seeing.

Well, have to correct that slightly.  Still only one theater open locally.  But a couple of others have their showtimes up in anticipation for getting clearance.  But can't actually buy anything at those yet.

Still not worth it for me to track exactly one theater, but once everything else starts to come online, I'll be tempted to do a track, even if it is all day Wed.  If only for some sort of baseline before Black Widow enters the scene.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2021 at 10:19 PM, Eric #TeamKong said:

Godzilla vs. Kong Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-19 Days and Counting (Wednesday)

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 20 252 1315 19.16%

No comps, do not even ask me.

Godzilla vs. Kong Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-18 Days and Counting (Wednesday)

TOTALS 4 20 489 1315 19.16%

Total Sellouts Added: 4

Total Seats Sold Today: 237

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 2

8 hours ago, Eric #TeamKong said:

Godzilla vs. Kong Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-18 Days and Counting (Wednesday)

How come 489/1315 is 19.16%? Were there more showtimes added to increase the 1315 total seats? Still, this is already close to matching what Raya had for both Thursday+Friday at T-0, which seems very good. 

5 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I was very surprised on 25% but then realised its 25% of probably 50% seats allowed. If not just 65 seats per showing is very low. Still selling 12.5% of the seats 18 days out is nice.

I hope @keysersoze123 and @Menor will give us MTC numbers.

If keyser isn't able to, I'll see what I can do. Definitely this is the first film in a while I've been excited to track. I've been looking at some of my usual theaters (both in NJ and TX) and some of them have absolutely laid out massive amounts of showtimes for this film, and still gotten decent sales for many of them. I think this movie is gonna show that the box office is far from dead. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Menor said:

How come 489/1315 is 19.16%? Were there more showtimes added to increase the 1315 total seats?

I forgot to change the percentage lol. I do this stuff late at night so this stuff is bound to happen

• Like 2

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I am gonna go with $35-40M 5 days. 

Disney & WB should have gone with 17 days window like Universal. Was a bad move to day and day OTT release.

Disney committed to 0-day for exactly one movie. WB committed to 18 or whatever (though they can also reverse).    

GvK does seem like the first instance where it will really bite them.

24 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Disney committed to 0-day for exactly one movie. WB committed to 18 or whatever (though they can also reverse).    

GvK does seem like the first instance where it will really bite them.

Can't WB just pull back the day-to-date release model decision if they saw amazing pre-sale?

Well, my local Cinemark 12 (the one I tracked pre-Covid) has GvK set for 2 screens in presale (both the biggies).  On the Wednesday, there are 6 showings (3 per screen - see later openings and extra cleanings).  Right now, there are 9 seats sold.  I don't what to put how many can be sold b/c of Cinemark's blocking, but my area overall limits to 30%, so, I'd think 80-85 seats/show (or 480-510 seats) might be the max, but we'll see as sales go (and as the state goes)...

I'll track this probably every few days to see if it starts bumping up...

EDIT TO ADD: This theater has already set aside 3 full screens (9 showings) for private viewing - one is sold - that could be GvK, but there's no way to know...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, my local Cinemark 12 (the one I tracked pre-Covid) has GvK set for 2 screens in presale (both the biggies).  On the Wednesday, there are 6 showings (3 per screen - see later openings and extra cleanings).  Right now, there are 9 seats sold.  I don't what to put how many can be sold b/c of Cinemark's blocking, but my area overall limits to 30%, so, I'd think 80-85 seats/show (or 480-510 seats) might be the max, but we'll see as sales go (and as the state goes)...

I'll track this probably every few days to see if it starts bumping up...

EDIT TO ADD: This theater has already set aside 3 full screens (9 showings) for private viewing - one is sold - that could be GvK, but there's no way to know...

Where can you see how many are sold? When I go to my Cinemark's page, it makes no distinction between blocked and real seats.

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Where can you see how many are sold? When I go to my Cinemark's page, it makes no distinction between blocked and real seats.

Mine has symbols for "sold seats" vs "blocked seats."  Gray is unavailable (aka sold or broken).  Gray with X is safer seating (2 seats on both sides of sold).   And then it's easy to tell what seat will not be sold at all (and is broken) b/c it has no "ring of X" around it.

• Like 2

And since I don't have my Regal open, but I have a 2nd Cinemark (which is usually as popular if not a little more than the other Cinemark now with its same city Regal closed), I'll track that, too.

On the Wed, it has 9 showings - 2 theaters of XD, and 1 of regular for 9 showings.  It has the biggest screens.  

So far, 0 regular tickets sold, but 6 XD tickets sold.  Still nothing huge yet.

There are also almost 3 screens of private showings for the day (8 total) - 2 showings are already sold for the day.  I'd assume GvK, but not certain b/c it could also be an Easter movie (this theater is doing a special 10 Commandments viewing). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Menor said:

25 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Mine has symbols for "sold seats" vs "blocked seats."  Gray is unavailable (aka sold or broken).  Gray with X is safer seating (2 seats on both sides of sold).   And then it's easy to tell what seat will not be sold at all (and is broken) b/c it has no "ring of X" around it.

Here is how it looks for me on desktop:

uDoUQZy.png

(as always click to embiggen)

It can be hard to see, but the sold seat is darker/completely filled in while the social distance seat has an "X" through it, as TwoMisfits said.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Here is how it looks for me on desktop:

uDoUQZy.png

(as always click to embiggen)

It can be hard to see, but the sold seat is darker/completely filled in while the social distance seat has an "X" through it, as TwoMisfits said.

And this is very illustrative of how, even if areas open 100% seating, if theaters decide to keep "safer seating", you are still at very reduced capacity.  So far, 4 seats are sold, but 16 seats are removed b/c of the way folks sat...that's 25% sold and 75% empty...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Ah, I see. Wasn't showing up on mobile but I can see it on desktop. But it seems to differ by showing. Some showings in 2D and Dbox don't seem to have a distinction. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Eric #TeamKong said:

Godzilla vs. Kong Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-17 Days and Counting (Wednesday)

TOTALS 4 20 535 1315 40.68%
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Eric #TeamKong said:

Godzilla vs. Kong Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-17 Days and Counting (Wednesday)

TOTALS 4 20 535 1315 40.68%

I've got a question - how many Philly area theaters that you used to track in your report aren't open yet?  And how many make up this tracking right now?  It just dawned on me that you've got 20 showings total for an entire day in the metro, which I have to think is only 2-3 theaters (since my 2 Cinemark 12 theaters have 15 showings, plus the possibility of 18 private viewings, and probably close to that total Philly seat availability, although they aren't selling like yours yet).  

• Like 1