grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

12 minutes ago, CJohn said:

WWS only has 2.800 theaters?! Disney ain't even trying with these FOX movies.

It's not solely Disney's call - many theaters probably didn't want to 2 week guarantee it with 2 openers next week (yeah, Spidey has a co-opener) and 3 on the 22nd, and with a holdover or two they already want to keep...

Especially when all the similar adult-oriented material this year opened between $4-7M, with the exception of Gaga, and even then Gaga didn't go huge...

On 12/6/2021 at 7:29 PM, Multiverse of XXR said:

Spider-Man: No Way Home Current Number, 24 Screen Theater, 7PM - December 6, 2021

42 show times, 2350 tickets sold  

Comparisons to Final Preview Numbers 

Endgame — 50 show times, 3623 tickets sold out 

Captain Marvel -- 30 show times, 1140 tickets sold 
Infinity War -- 37 show times, 2449 tickets sold 

The Rise or Skywalker — 44 show times, 1826 tickets sold 

Notes: Since I can't count this I'm not adding it to my numbers but they have sold 4 private showings @ $470 each (Up to 40 people max). There's a 5th available that's not currently sold. Add in those numbers and we're at 46 show times and 2510 tickets sold. Will do my next update on Thursday, December 9th. 

Spider-Man: No Way Home Current Number, 24 Screen Theater, 7PM - December 9, 2021

50 show times, 2495 tickets sold 
4 private screenings sold (16o tickets equivalent)

Comparisons to Final Ticket Sales Tracked

Endgame — 50 show times, 3623 tickets sold out 

Captain Marvel -- 30 show times, 1140 tickets sold 
Infinity War -- 37 show times, 2449 tickets sold 

The Rise or Skywalker — 44 show times, 1826 tickets sold 

Comps to Final Previews
EG = $41.32M or $43.97M with private screenings
CM = $45.30M or $48.21M with private screenings
IW = $39.73M or $42.28M with private screenings 
TROS = $54.65M or $58.16M with private screenings 

Notes: Show times are up to 50 + 5 private screenings (4 have sold, 1 more is available), so it's already matched Endgame for total shows even without the private screenings. I'm not sure if they'll add any more times. It's also now crossed Infinity War as of my final track (outright, even without private screenings). 

Edited by Multiverse of XXR
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, katnisscinnaplex said:

I see two theaters with 63 shows 👀.  None higher yet though

Mine is in Houston, where's the other one? I see Empire 25 is up to 60 show times as well. That's an impressive 2.4 per screen. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Multiverse of XXR said:

Mine is in Houston, where's the other one? I see Empire 25 is up to 60 show times as well. That's an impressive 2.4 per screen. 

That was my guess based on the location in your profile.  The other is in Orange, CA.  Just for fun (is fun the right word) I took a look at sales.

63 shows

6977/13181 sold

$118,922.13!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, katnisscinnaplex said:

That was my guess based on the location in your profile.  The other is in Orange, CA.  Just for fun (is fun the right word) I took a look at sales.

63 shows

6977/13181 sold

$118,922.13!

What's the Houston one looking like? It'll def be less but I'm curious. 

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

WWS only has 2.800 theaters?! Disney ain't even trying with these FOX movies.

Broadway adaptations rarely get humongous theater counts for the most part. Les Miserables and Into the Woods both opened in less than 3,000 theaters despite being star-studded Christmas Day openers.

30 minutes ago, katnisscinnaplex said:

Whew, 20 minutes of clicking... I hope this is worth it

63 shows

4242/13438 sold

$59,564.29

It was for me. I'll reward you with a 'thanks'!

So, the Orange location has 64% more tickets sold by 100% more money made. Damn Texas and our reasonable prices!!

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Broadway adaptations rarely get humongous theater counts for the most part. Les Miserables and Into the Woods both opened in less than 3,000 theaters despite being star-studded Christmas Day openers.

The market was drowning with bigger releases on those days. Not in 2021, tho. There is no reason for WSS to not have 3.000+ theaters.

Just now, CJohn said:

The market was drowning with bigger releases on those days. Not in 2021, tho. There is no reason for WSS to not have 3.000+ theaters.

A monster of an opener is coming out next week and a bunch of movies are opening less than a week after that. Screen space is about to get tight. FWIW it's playing at all the independent theaters close by (which usually tend to pass on big-budget fare for the most part) that will be playing it throughout the holidays so clearly they were selective as to where it would be shown, especially when it's a movie that's destined to play much better in big cities than in urban areas.

• Like 1

WSS will be lucky to hit 50k CAD for previews in the great white north. Maybe my projections for the rest of the evening are a bit off, but that seems to be the range for now. 

Doesn’t bode too well unless Canada just super underindexes, especially since that includes IMAX shows. 400k is what I would predict based on this.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

WSS will be lucky to hit 50k CAD for previews in the great white north. Maybe my projections for the rest of the evening are a bit off, but that seems to be the range for now. 

Doesn’t bode too well unless Canada just super underindexes, especially since that includes IMAX shows. 400k is what I would predict based on this.

hi um, spiderman look busy in canada though no? 

• Like 1

FWIW the theater I'm seeing WSS at this weekend didn't do so great tonight but is looking to do really well (both in regular and the prime PLF showing) tomorrow and through the weekend. Wouldn't sound the alarm re: coming below the $13-15M projection it's been tracking at if the previews are a low number since outside the theatre/Sondheim community there shouldn't be much, if any, frontloading.

• Like 1