grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

i have no idea what is going on here....  do theater VPs have any authority over the freedom of information?  the theme of some of our favorite movies is to fight against such unfairness.  They only have power when you give it to them.

5 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

i have no idea what is going on here....  do theater VPs have any authority over the freedom of information?  the theme of some of our favorite movies is to fight against such unfairness.  They only have power when you give it to them.

When information such as presale numbers or information regarding how production on a film is going is considered confidential and only meant for certain eye then yes they have the power to do such things. The last thing they want are studios turning their backs on them because info that shouldn't be out there is circulating social media of all places. 

Again the info that was given to us we weren't entitled to. We were lucky to have some members share some of the info given to them but when the info is spreading to other places and they get in trouble for it then it's not worth it. The kind of stuff they share with us isn't all over the trades because it's all supposed to be insider info i.e. The general public shouldn't know about it

Edited by Nova
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Wait, sorry to be a bother, but what the hell happened? Leaks of information, huh? I left for a few hours and now I'm completely lost.

Leaking of Sensitive Information: From the White House to Box Office Forum Communities.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Wait, sorry to be a bother, but what the hell happened? Leaks of information, huh? I left for a few hours and now I'm completely lost.

Members were tweeting out presale numbers to other theater chains VPs and they were posted on other forums. Also insider info on how a film is has been posted to other forums so none of this stuff is "insider info" anymore and more public than it ever was supposed to be. But this is what happens when fanboys make it seem like DC and Marvel are the end all be all to our existence 

Pretty much Trump happened to our boards. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Where is the 4DX screen?

(I see that the Cinerama isn't getting Alien. Actually their summer schedule for GotG2, Wonder Woman, Baby Driver, and Dunkirk seems pretty spread out. I wonder if they'll slot in a few others closer to release dates.)

Regal Meridian 16. 

On their twitter account, Cinerama said they're looking into getting Pirates, which is why there are no Guardians 2 showtimes after May 25th. I was hoping they'd get Alien. Instead I'll be trying out my first foray into Dolby Cinema at the Alderwood Mall theater.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Members were tweeting out presale numbers to other theater chains VPs and they were posted on other forums. Also insider info on how a film is has been posted to other forums so none of this stuff is "insider info" anymore and more public than it ever was supposed to be. But this is what happens when fanboys make it seem like DC and Marvel are the end all be all to our existence 

Pretty much Trump happened to our boards. 

Oh, for fuck's sake. Comic book fan shit is a fucking cancer on these boards. Comes in to ruin everything. They should be banned at the first sight of that bullshit instead of making Rallax/Empire uncomfortable and the vast majority of us posters who love this info and take it privately shouldn't suffer for it either. 

• Like 9

Oh, for fuck's sake. Comic book fan shit is a fucking cancer on these boards. Comes in to ruin everything. They should be banned at the first sight of that bullshit instead of making Rallax/Empire uncomfortable and the vast majority of us posters who love this info and take it privately shouldn't suffer for it either. 

Bingo. 

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Speaking of Donald Dumbass, I am calling for a total and complete shutdown of Marvel and DC fans until we can figure out what the hell's going on. 

Who is our Sean Spicer? Whoever it is, they can sell it.

Speaking of Donald Dumbass, I am calling for a total and complete shutdown of Marvel and DC fans until we can figure out what the hell's going on. 

Honestly, once you start acting like an asshole....you should get banned. I think the mods have been perfectly clear with the type of environment they want on these  forums and the folks (everyone knows who they are) who put it upon themselves to just ignore what the mods are saying should be banned from the get go. Their behavior just doesn't change regardless of how many warnings/suspensions they get. They just comeback and repeat what they were doing before. And I'm 99.9% sure that those are the types of members that would be petty enough to go on other forums/tweet out at presale information just to show that they're "right." 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

They would still be able to lurk no ?, the message board would need to be readable by member only and new member to be vetted (or a section at least).

Maybe it is possible to make a test, that extremist comic book fan cannot resist to give certain answer to certain question.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Just now, Barnack said:

They would still be able to lurk no ?, the message board would need to be readable by member only and new member to be vetted (or a section at least).

On the lot is member only so presale information can be held there so it can be done. The problem is that we discuss box office in the movie threads as well so I'm not sure it would work

Ugh. Just ugh.

The sad thing is those people who leak information elsewhere probably couldn't be happier about this. The way it usually works is the information that goes furthest is the stuff that fans disagree with or get riled up over. Like unflattering pre-sales or unglowing early reviews. 

When something positive gets posted it doesn't have nearly the same reach because people don't rush to dispute it.

so these people who leaked stuff are probably really happy right now that they managed to shut up those sources who gave them news they didn't want to hear.

They won and we all lost.

:sadben:

• Like 2

Just now, John Marston said:

wait what exactly happened? The presales were put on other sites and what happened then?

To the point that some tweeted them at theater chain owner.

Why ? It is not clear, maybe as a way to ask if those were valid without knowing that they were not public data ?

People angry about those number getting out and wanting them to stop ?

People working in the industry and wanted them to stop ?

Many theories going on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

wait what exactly happened? The presales were put on other sites and what happened then?

People giving us the info aren't comfortable with the info being disseminated far and wide. Completely understandable on their part.

• Like 10

I'm not really calling for an inquistion on comic book fans. Also, I like to stir the ole pot myself sometimes, so warnings and stuff should obviously still be a thing. But I remember when BoxOfficeZ posted that he saw Star Wars for the first time, these boards got swarmed by a bunch  of Force.Net and Reddit clowns that I investigated and found were leaking alllll that info. They all were named "JediFan01" and shit and had no avatars. I can deal with overwrought comic book obsessives like iJack/BKB/Futurist who have bad opinions but are respectful enough not to leak and contribute  to the board at large. It's the people with 400 posts all in only D.C. and Marvel threads that just spam and ask for spoilers and yell at everyone who doesn't know that the magic orb in the background was a critical plotpoint in Action Comics from 1967 or some stupid fanboy bullshit. The ones who think that movies being faithful are better than movies being good, and make 5000 posts saying "You don't understand the material and critics are pretentious!" There's been a mass influx since the IMDB boards shutdown.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 8