grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

17 minutes ago, TheMovieman said:

That's... not good if it holds. If you would've told me the third Thor movie would make more on its OW I would think you'd be crazy.

Didn't WB pretty severely low ball WW's opening, even in the week before release? I thought they stuck with the 65m tracking number or something 

• Like 2

Just now, WondeRoc said:

Didn't WB pretty severely low ball WW's opening, even in the week before release? I thought they stuck with the 65m tracking number or something 

Yes, but independent trackers were near $100M, this time both are on the same page.

Just now, WondeRoc said:

But final week tracking was $85M-$95M but WB stuck with $65M for the expectations.

105-115 would be grandma's peach-tea/piss poor opening. MOS did 116+ (excluding Walmart). Yeah that was in summer but this is freaking JL. It's not like movies haven't opened huge in November!

But...screw The Wrap :ph34r:

Gut says it will not go below 130m. "They are missing the silent Wondy-fan audience" is my wishful thinking.

(Now SS did not have any silent Wondy audience and it still got 133+, so this tracking does bother me. But then SS only released after BVS, but wasn't a sequel to it. So it would never have needed Wondy to shore it up like JL needs due to BVS's reception. Also SS marketing and Quinn taking off was something unique and cannot be captured repeatedly.)

Didn't think I would be pining so hard for "just" 130-140m a month back:whosad:

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, mredman said:

well EC says 130, DW says BvS level likely and Mother also thinks 150m. So that Wrap article is pathetic

I agree with the statement but a few notes:

1.) I’m flattered by me being considered but @Hiccup23 uses the biggest theater in Wisconsin and I use my personal theater but I believe it’s popular in the state but I’d say his word has way more power than mine.

2.) It is also possible for the chain it was spread throughout the technical 10 day holiday weekend.

Edited by YourMother

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

105-115 would be grandma's peach-tea/piss poor opening. MOS did 116+ (excluding Walmart). Yeah that was in summer but this is freaking JL. It's not like movies haven't opened huge in November!

But...screw The Wrap :ph34r:

Gut says it will not go below 130m. "They are missing the silent Wondy-fan audience" is my wishful thinking.

(Now SS did not have any silent Wondy audience and it still got 133+, so this tracking does bother me. But then SS only released after BVS, but wasn't a sequel to it. So it would never have needed Wondy to shore it up like JL needs due to BVS's reception. Also SS marketing and Quinn taking off was something unique and cannot be captured repeatedly.)

Didn't think I would be pining so hard for "just" 130-140m a month back:whosad:

Yeah I would use the studio at 105-115 (not surprising) as a low-ball per usual.  WB super lowballed IT too, it's what they do.  

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

Justice League 

North Shore Cinema 

11/16/17 (2 days before previews, 3 before release)

Mequon, WI

6:00 - 125/301

7:00 - 55/146

8:00 - 16/139

9:00 - 68/301

10:00 - 10/146

11:00 - 10/139

12:00 - 13/301

Running 24% ahead of Thor, 6% ahead of IT and 41% ahead of Homecoming. This indicates a range between $130M-$165M using my theater’s data but however Thor ran 15% ahead of Homecoming translating into a $135M OW, but it proved to be more frontloaded then again Homecoming opened in the heat of the summer, so that may not be the best comparison and DC films tend to be more frontloaded in previews. So I’m thinking a $150M OW. 

43 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

JL remains ahead of Thor 3. Several of the showing aren't available online to buy tickets from which is odd. Hopefully my theater resolves the issue soon. 

Wonder and Coco are doing decent. I am surprised my theater hasn't expanded their showings.

Star:rofl: ..... just give its screens to Wonder or Justice League. 

Justice League 442 2,298 19.2%
Wonder 30 156 19.2%
Star 0 234 0.0%
Coco 56 156 35.9%

now we are talking that seems more plausible

25 minutes ago, TheMovieman said:

Well, they didn't get the message when meddling with BvS so why would things change after this? They'll just find another excuse as to why it under performed.

careful your biased hate its showing. And after the reports they did seem to get JL very right according to pretty much everyone. And they finally got Supes right too. So what are you babbling about

1 minute ago, Rumpot said:

Yeah I would use the studio at 105-115 (not surprising) as a low-ball per usual.  WB super lowballed IT too, it's what they do.  

I agree WB is lowballing it, but it states they’re in agreement with independent trackers...? But we’ve also seen that trackers typically miss families and children. I really don’t see OW below $145-150m though. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

1.) I’m flattered by me being considered but @Hiccup23 uses the biggest theater in Wisconsin and I use my personal theater but I believe it’s popular in the state so I’d say his word has way more power than mine.

2.) It is also possible for the chain it was spread throughout the technical 10 day holiday weekend.

My local theater usually top 10 and I have no doubt JL will be above Thor unless something odd happens.  New showings haven't been added...AMC Empire too for some reason with 4 regular showings of which 2 are sold out has still not added more yet

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

1.) I’m flattered by me being considered but @Hiccup23 uses the biggest theater in Wisconsin and I use my personal theater so I’d say his word has way more power than mine.

@Hiccup23 also has it over Thor. But have not seen Hiccups opening guess though. Pretty sure it should be like yours

1 minute ago, Deja23 said:

I agree WB is lowballing it, but it states they’re in agreement with independent trackers...? But we’ve also seen that trackers typically miss families and children. I really don’t see OW below $145-150m though. 

Independent trackers have zero accountability. WB will make sure it's movie doesn't underperform their guide 

8 minutes ago, mredman said:

now we are talking that seems more plausible

careful your biased hate its showing. And after the reports they did seem to get JL very right according to pretty much everyone. And they finally got Supes right too. So what are you babbling about

Biased hate? Lol, I'm one of the few who has generally liked all of the DCEU movies, even Suicide Squad, though my feelings on that one has waned with each viewing. If I have any hate, it's toward the studio and their mandated 2 hr running time. If that was Whedon's decision to make a more streamlined film, fine, but it was done for financial reasons.

Edited by TheMovieman

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Even though recent DC movies barring WW have opened alongside tracking (SS, BVS) or overestimated (Lego Batman, MOS (I believe)), I can’t see JL under a $125M OW.

Agree.  It doesn't seem to have $150M+ type buzz but I also can't see it opening below Thor and It.

97/100 Fanticipation buzz

LOS ANGELES – NOVEMBER 14, 2017 – “Justice League” is ruling this week’s Fandango’s ticket sales, with the superhero dream team garnering a super-strong 97 out of 100 Fanticipation movie buzz index points. “Justice” is outselling DC Entertainment’s previous 2017 hit “Wonder Woman” at the same point in the Fandango sales cycle.

• Like 1