grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Comparision to WW is a werd choice. And stupid too. At least when they compared Thor to SMH (Thor was outselling SMH) it made sense since both the movies were looking at a similar opening. WW comparision makes no sense here. SMH/Thor or even Gotg2 makes more sense

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Comparision to WW is a werd choice. And stupid too. At least when they compared Thor to SMH (Thor was outselling SMH) it made sense since both the movies were looking at a similar opening. WW comparision makes no sense here. SMH/Thor or even Gotg2 makes more sense

Maybe no Marvel vs DC talk allowed at Fandango. Their employees must be all trolls.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

It makes sense if that's the one its closest too.    

I assume they just don't make up numbers to fit their narrative.  Sometimes they bend over backward to find a big movie that opened 2 or 3 years ago but that's not the same as lying.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Keep in mind WW and SMH finished at the same level in Deep Wang's sales

Fandango sales I monitored on Pulse showed SM:HC significantly ahead.  Ditto looking at screens and sellouts over the preceding week

WW had a better internal multiplier (so the o/w gap was less than 14%)  but SM's previews were 36% higher

23 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Fandango want to sell the most ticket and the choice is to create the most buzz I would imagine (the news is never about the movie not selling as much as movie X), I imagine they always take the most spectacular possible movie they can pick with smaller pre-sales, for the movie they are promoting.

Wonder Woman did only 100m OW, but did over 400m domestic, so it could be the biggest movie that sound the most impressive for the general audience.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Fandango want to sell the most ticket and the choice is to create the most buzz I would imagine (the news is never about the movie not selling as much as movie X), I imagine they always take the most spectacular possible movie they can pick with smaller pre-sales, for the movie they are promoting.

Wonder Woman did only 100m OW, but did over 400m domestic, so it could be the biggest movie that sound the most impressive for the general audience.

That's probably right, it's a good comparison for general buzz.  Not so much for people analyzing MT, Fandango per minute sales, etc...but I imagine that's not really who they PR this for.  

So, let's do 2 local theater trackings (one Regal, one Cinemark:)...aka, my locals:)...only Thursday night figures...

1st local (where JL did not sell well originally) - Cinemark

JL 3d 25/125, 1/125 for 26/250

JL 2d 48/185, 82/175, 46/185, 27/185 for 203/720

JL total 229/970

Wonder 27/110, 0/110 for 27/220

The Star (new sale today) 0/60, 0/60 for 0/120 

2nd local (where JL did sell well originally) - Regal

JL 3d 62/90, 33/90 for 95/180

JL 2d 128/170, 109/170 for 237/340

JL/WW Special (new sale today) 22/125 (all new sales from 9am)

JL Total 354/645

Wonder 31/90, 0/90 for 31/180

The Star 0/50, 0/50, 0/50 for 0/150 (all is not lost, since it's 11, 1, and 3pm shows on Sat/Sun have all sold tickets from 4-29 - yup, optimism:)...

• Like 1

JL at 20% MT on discount Tuesday vs. Thor/Orient/Daddy/Moms is a sizable number.

may approach 50 tomorrow and 70%+ on Thursday and Friday

Edited by excel1
  • Like 4

It's possible Fandango was thinking that since Wonder woman was the biggest summer movie that comp would make the best headline, and also possible that Thor being such a recent release that's still going very strong they don't want to make a negative comparison with it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, grim22 said:

Presales may not be just OW based. Like mentioned by actual theater employees, JL has a 10 day schedule published already. Families can buy tickets for Thanksgiving viewing etc. I would say the presales number for JL is a 10-day number vs the 3-day number for BvS. Might be a lower percentage past the 3 days but BvS has like 55% of presales for OD IIRC

So does it mean that according to Deep Wang himself, we can't use these numbers to predict OW this time? (i.e. it is a new situation and the presales dates are too different)

23 hours ago, Rumpot said:

For Justice League at Tysons Mclean ("up from" refers to Saturday at 530pm EST so about 48 hours ago)

Dolby 

6pm - 96/245 (up 11)

935pm - 80/245 (up 8)

Imax

6pm - 79/461 (up 9)

855pm - 82/461 (up 10)

RealD

7pm- 12/291 (up 2)

1010pm - 1/291 (flat)

Regular

6pm - 8/291 (up 6)

8pm - 26/291 (up 5)

1055pm - 16/291 (up 14)

-Current total is $7749 compared to Thor FINAL which was $18,618 (Per RTH was #5 in the country for Thor opening weekend) and IT FINAL which was $12,843.  This is a good start given the number of showings that are going to be added tomorrow and several more days to go.

~23 hours later

Dolby 

6pm - 101/245 (up 5)

935pm - 91/245 (up 11)

Imax

6pm - 81/461 (up 2)

855pm - 95/461 (up 13)

RealD

7pm- 17/291 (up 5)

1010pm - 1/291 (flat)

Regular

6pm - 10/291 (up 2)

8pm - 47/291 (up 21)

1055pm - 30/291 (up 14)

-Current total is $9004.07 (up from $7749 yesterday) compared to :

-Thor FINAL which was $18,618 with Fan event and $15,348.16 without (Per RTH was #5 in the country for Thor opening weekend)

- IT FINAL which was $12,843. 

*New showings not added yet and should provide a big boost tomorrow 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

So does it mean that according to Deep Wang himself, we can't use these numbers to predict OW this time? (i.e. it is a new situation and the presales dates are too different)

It just means that presales aren't a direct comparison and we should always take that into account for any presale report.

24 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

It just means that presales aren't a direct comparison and we should always take that into account for any presale report.

Right, but Deep Wang's scale has been surprisingly correlated with OW for the last few superhero blockbusters.

It won't always work of course, the question is: do we already know that it won't work for JL just because of the release date?

Edited by MrGlass2

6 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Right, but Deep Wang's scale has been surprisingly correlated with OW for the last few superhero blockbusters.

It won't always work of course, the question is: do we already know that it won't work for JL just because of the release date?

I wouldn’t say that, no. Basically we have two sources who traditionally have been reliable, but this time they’re somewhat in conflict. I hedge towards EC because he’s got a view of the big picture. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rumpot said:

Still waiting to see a burst of new showtimes for JL...assume it happens today

Same here,  usually happens two days before release,  but I have seen some movies getting their last push the day before release.  Not uncommon.