Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

murder will flop (or underperform relative to the expectations set out here, don't whine about the use of the word). mountain maybe a little higher than everest numbers.

God dammit Coolio, don't curse these two. 

Cruz is fantastic and I am a big fan of her work but outside of Vanilla Sky, which was released at the height of Cruise's popularity, she hasn't been a big box office draw or starred in any major hits.

Honestly, the only person in that movie I see being enough of a star to maybe draw alot of people in is Ridley. Just like Boyega with Detroit. I'm going out on a limb and saying that people are interested to see them.

• Community Manager
Just now, Jayhawk said:

I know nothing about the plot of Murder on the Orient Express (well nothing except what's in the title). I'm sure someone will spoil it for me before it comes out though.

It's based on a novel by Agatha Christie, one of the greatest mystery writers of all time. :)

• Like 1

What is wrong with the negativity in some people here lol. This is the first female superhero movie. Of course its not gonna do Guardians, Iron Man, Superman, Batman, JL, Avengers numbers. It is also a highly praised movie on 93% RT is absolutely fantastic. An opening like this for Wonder Woman is VERY VERY good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Huh, I don't see that with the stars at all. First off, Depp literally hurts more than he helps at this point. Dude is beyond toxic.

I doubt that it is the case, specially for a movie like that, maybe if you are the MCU/Star wars you do not bring him on because of some toxicity, but outside blockbuster it is much better to have fans and hated than just bland, take Adam Sandler he is I think the biggest "poison" in the world (the actor that most people will be turned away be is mere presence in a movie) but he is still one of the biggest draw with some largest world fanbase, specially on the home video side, it is split 50/50 and strong on both side.

That is much better for a regular title, that will be a giant success if it reach 3.5-4% of the population, I think on a movie like that Depp is a big plus (same on a movie like Pirates).

Has for Ridley bringing interest, I don't know either, not a perfect comparison Rogue One being a smaller success and the character being less charismatic, but studio that waited after Inferno/Rogue One to release their Felicity Jones movies they had didn't see much if any boost, both her movies post star wars didn't made 4 million domestic, despite going 1500+ theaters.

Farah Khan's HAPPY NEW YEAR held the Bolllywood opening record (all-time ow, male+female) for quiet a while. It starred SRK+Deepika so made it a little easier but still...she is a powerhouse director.

Edited by a2knet

Just now, mredman said:

What is wrong with the negativity in some people here lol. This is the first female superhero movie. Of course its not gonna do Guardians, Iron Man, Superman, Batman, JL, Avengers numbers. It is also a highly praised movie on 93% RT is absolutely fantastic. An opening like this for Wonder Woman is VERY VERY good.

Many thought that would be a plus box office wise, not a minus (I still think that it is a plus and a reason that it seem to be opening above Dr Strange for example)

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, mredman said:

If someone is like "$150 million OW" and it makes $149 million on it's OW, it's seen as a disappointment and the movie is a failure. It's very silly. Having said that, if it fails to make $100 million OW, that's not good for my summer game. Grr.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Robertman2 & Knuckles said:

So, what are we looking at?

2nd Update, 11:50PM: Midday figures show Warner Bros./DC’s Wonder Woman flying toward a $34M-$37.5M Friday, with a three-day projection of $86M on the low end and a potential shot at breaking into the low-to-mid-$90M range. This is a similar B.O. sphere to where Disney/Marvel’s Doctor Strange launched ($32.6M first day, $85M for the weekend) and Guardians of the Galaxy ($37.8M, $94.3M weekend), so a very healthy start for a new superhero franchise.

http://deadline.com/2017/06/wonder-woman-captain-underpants-weekend-box-office-opening-1202106462/

I'm still waiting for more concrete Fri. #s to see if it hits 100m.

• Like 2

If that 3m friday and 11.5m weekend number holds for guardians it would be phenomenal. That would be the same number as AOU and the same weekend drop as AOU and far better than CW and IM3. With this number 390m is guaranteed with 400 in play with what is looking like a weak June. Whats even better about this number which is same as AOU is that it has held the same despite facing a direct and much higher competition than AOU faced.

• Like 2