Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

VARIETY 40
Box Office: ‘Wonder Woman’ Flying to $100 Million Opening Weekend

link

Should the first projections hold for the Warner Bros. tentpole, “Wonder Woman” and director Patty Jenkins will set a record for the top debut weekend for a film directed by a woman. Sam Taylor-Johnson’s “Fifty Shades of Grey” previously held that distinction with an opening weekend gross of $85 million on Feb. 13-15, 2015.

That’s in line with recent forecasts for “Wonder Woman’s” domestic launch, which have been in the $100 million range — far above the studio’s more conservative estimate in the $80 million range.

“Wonder Woman” could take in as much as $40 million on Friday, which would include the $11 million from Thursday night previews — the third-highest preview number of the year.

So not really something to gloat about if it's with expectations

Disney’s second weekend of “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” was heading for a steep decline from its opening with about $22 million. And Paramount’s “Baywatch” was sinking fast and projected to finish in the $6 million to $8 million range.

:jeb!:

Edited by franfar

28 minutes ago, Wonder89 said:

So no Wonder Woman sequel, I'm a fan of the character and I'm sad I will not see a WW solo film anymore:(

Ant-Man has a sequel coming up and has made a lot less than whatever WW will end up doing. 

Not every movie has to pass $300M domestically to make a profit. 

My early & bold prediction is for Wonder Woman to end up with $250-$260M in North America. I have no clue what it will do overseas. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

There was a ton of overperformers through March, but honestly until IT I don't see anything breaking out above the average expectation. And even that seems like it'll have a big opening and crash due to reviews. Kingsman 2, maybe it does something. Blade Runner, who knows, but that's a niche franchise. JL ain't breaking out without a big Wonder Woman surge. Star Wars will only be massive within reasonable expectation. Thor has a ton of buzz, but I also think Thor might be the MCU's least popular/relevant character so if it wasn't for the hype around the trailer I thought that would be a drop contender.I think the rest of the year's breakouts aren't going to be 200+ type hits, but very solid mid-level hits that do the kind of numbers Split did. Dunkirk (this is not a blockbuster movie in America, stop grading it like it is!), Detroit, All Eyez (marketing whenever I flip on VH1/MTV/BET), The Mountain Between Us, and Suburbicon are the pre-holiday mid level movies I see doing better than expectations.

Surburbicon might be too Coen-y for general audiences. It also doesn't help that it opens the same weekend as Thor and Bad Moms. I dunno.

Think you're being a bit optimistic on All Eyez too.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

note to self, Deadline early numbers are usually wrong, wait until THR and Variety report

the Chicken Little aspects of early numbers makes me dread Justice League in November. iJack's head might explode 

Actually Deadline has been pretty accurate this year 

4 minutes ago, Alli said:

I predicted 120M :P but 96M wouldn't be bad at all. better than DR Strange...

That was more or less my prediction. But I'm not that cool with that, actually.

It's WONDER WOMAN, the biggest female superhero, Known by everyone, the best thing in BvS, with great reviews, in May (summer) against Doctor Strange, a weird unknown character, in october.

I really liked Doctor Strange. But I was hoping way more from Wonder Woman. :depp:

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

note to self, Deadline early numbers are usually wrong, wait until THR and Variety report

the Chicken Little aspects of early numbers makes me dread Justice League in November. iJack's head might explode 

Variety and THR are always more reliable. I think Deadline just likes getting their super early numbers out first. Those number look much more realistic and likely than the $85M OW nonsense.

8 minutes ago, Alli said:

internet hype  is useless. The Mummy has 30M views on youtube and it's gonna bomb with 25M OW

Trailer views are useless sure. 

But social media interaction, new conversations, etc arent.

I see Fox having an EXCELLENT fall between Kingsman, Murder on the Orient Express, and Mountain Between Us. I think all three of them are grossing 100M (as long as MBU moves the fuck away from October 20).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Surburbicon might be too Coen-y for general audiences. It also doesn't help that it opens the same weekend as Thor and Bad Moms. I dunno.

Think you're being a bit optimistic on All Eyez too.

Yea, I need to see something from Surburicon, but I like the cast and it is apparently great and will be released as a relatively major picture so that could be good. All Eyez has a ton of buzz with most everyone I know. Admittedly the kind of people I talk to, especially here, are more predisposed to be interested in this movie as big Tupac fans. But I also think that some people tend to ignore that buzz that they can't see. So it's a balance. It certainly won't come close to SOC, but unless reviews are awful I could see 30m+ OW still.

I was stunned how well the Mountain Between Us trailer played with my crowd last night at WW. Lots of chatter and good buzz.

• Like 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Yea, I need to see something from Surburicon, but I like the cast and it is apparently great and will be released as a relatively major picture so that could be good. All Eyez has a ton of buzz with most everyone I know. Admittedly the kind of people I talk to, especially here, are more predisposed to be interested in this movie as big Tupac fans. But I also think that some people tend to ignore that buzz that they can't see. So it's a balance. It certainly won't come close to SOC, but unless reviews are awful I could see 30m+ OW still.

I was stunned how well the Mountain Between Us trailer played with my crowd last night at WW. Lots of chatter and good buzz.

Yup, Fox needs to get it into September. It's having excellent trailer views so far (same with MOTOE).

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I see Fox having an EXCELLENT fall between Kingsman, Murder on the Orient Express, and Mountain Between Us. I think all three of them are grossing 100M (as long as MBU moves the fuck away from October 20).

Kingsman and MOTOE will easily make over $100m, im curious if Kingsman will break the September record or will IT do it

Just now, Jonwo said:

Kingsman and MOTOE will easily make over $100m, im curious if Kingsman will break the September record or will IT do it

It will break it, and then Kingsman will break it again two weeks later ;)