Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

I am now sorry I lost the time to catch up with this thread, even if I knew what was coming. And honestly, I don't know what is worse: the DC haters or some of the DC fans around here. Gosh!

Either way, this will go over 40. Deadline is Deadline.

• Like 2

A 95 m OW would be a 8.6 Preview to OW multiplier which is smack dab in the middle of the 8-9 multi that I predicted and in line with multi of comparable SH movies. Trust the data and analysis people. And then there were those who were throwing a hissy fit when we used the same data and analysis to predict similar OW and legs as WW is showing. They even called us shit for using data and precedent to predict numbers on a forum for box office numbers and analysis no less. :redcapes:

• Like 3

I hope Pirates does more than 22 this weekend. APOC did 22.825.

Nothing so far says beating APOC's 155.4 is assured.

APOC faced TMNT2's 35 + MeB4U's 19 OWs in the 2nd weekend. WONDR+CU combined OWs could be double of that.

3rd weekend APOC faced CONJ2 + NYSM2 + WARCRAFT's combined OW of 87 + TMNT2's holdover of 14 + MeB4U's holdover of 9. (87+14+9=110)

Pirates has MUMMY's 35-45 OW in 3rd weekend but WONDR's holdover should be 40+ too. (so 80+ from these 2 movies)

Edited by a2knet

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

For a character that iconic that reached some mass media zeitgeist the awareness for the character and the sequel movie will not be that different than from the first

Her "iconic" status dates back to the 70's when she had a half-successful TV show. As for the mass media zeitgeist, it has been almost entirely created by her appearance in BvS and the marketing/hype that surrounds modern superhero blockbusters.

Once again, read the first pages of the Wonder Woman thread, then remember that two networks passed on two different WW series since then. The popularity of the character had and has a lot of room to grow - and the same goes for the success of an eventual sequel.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, James said:

Given the reception it gets, I am thinking:

Thu 11

Fri 35.5

Sat 43

Sun 34.5

124m OW

I think it will play more like a family movie than a CBM. And fact is, a lot of little girls will want to see this. And I doubt a lot of parents will take them to midnight screenings. Saturday should be huge. 

There was like a 3-year-old girl next to me at the movie wearing a tiara. She didn't understand the movie (kept on asking her dad "who's that" when it was clearly Wonder Woman lol) but her sister (who was like 6 or 7) seemed to really enjoy it haha

I'd take my daughter to this immediately if I had one :P

• Like 2

Considering BAYWATCH had a Thu release (with Wed previews) and burnt off some demand before FSS, a ~60% drop in 2nd weekend is very bad.

Was thinking 50-55%.

Just now, Blankments said:

There was like a 3-year-old girl next to me at the movie wearing a tiara. She didn't understand the movie (kept on asking her dad "who's that" when it was clearly Wonder Woman lol) but her sister (who was like 6 or 7) seemed to really enjoy it haha

I'd take my daughter to this immediately if I had one :P

I'm seriously happy that no 3 year old would even come close to watching the movie in a german theater. 

There's so much room for bad parenting, so I'm quite happy, when somebody steps in and denies it on some occasions.

• Like 1

Not bad expectations considering that some states like California right now are in the afternoon, some are people are just getting off work in some areas, and matiness come to a close at 6 PM. So Wonder Woman could do $38-$40 OD

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

No, they are not superheros...villains can headline a movie as successfully as heroes (I hear Pirates aren't the most heroic lot, either)...

LOL come on. Superhero is a genre name, no one using it is limiting the discussion to just those characters who are purely "superheroes". I mean if that were the case, batman isn't a "super"hero either, the only super thing about him is his wealth.

Electra and Catwoman absolutely are part of the Superhero genre.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

No, they are not superheros...villains can headline a movie as successfully as heroes (I hear Pirates aren't the most heroic lot, either)...

The squad are being heroes during the timeline of the movie thought (except stealing one purse one time and the guy punching the woman in the face, they don't do anything bad during all the movie outside their flashback), they are saving the world, reconnecting with their daughters, seeking and getting redemption and so on.

They are not really the villain of the movie (The Joker and the old witch are, not the squad), it is not like in The Wild Bunch or other movies were you actually follow some villains doing bad and unpleasant to watch stuff.

You can give them any background, but the actual story and their action/moral decision they make during the movie, what the movie ask you to root for, etc...  is what make it a very mainstream superheroes movie or not.

• Like 1