Plain Old Tele

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

I hate these early #'s because I have such a different reaction to the high vs low end. Can't lie, considering I've been so certain this was heading towards a breakout, 34M would be a bit disappointing. 37.5 on the other hand would be a lot easier to feel good about.

Either way, it's still early. Hoping the #'s trend upwards.

• Like 3

Not seeing WW till tomorrow and these chicks behind me in the bar can't shut up discussing it and how amazing it was...

Seriously thinking of sending over some drinks with a note to shut the f*ck up...

WW - Good, not great. Leagues above the rest of the DCEU though. Best element was Gal Gadot/Chris Pine's chemistry. Villain was a big disappointment. Some odd plot holes and shoddy CGI at times.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

Just now, Jonwo said:

I think WB will be happy with anything over $90m, that's similar to what IM1 got

Pretty sure they were keeping their expectations at 65-75 so I'm sure they'll be happy to beat that. 

I just hope it still does over $80m! 

Man I just don't see the Spider-Man over 300 talk at all. There's nothing in the marketing or the style that suggests that this shit isn't been there, done that. Remember how much TASM2 was mocked, and more to the point, how much it dropped? Spider-Man being replaced is a running joke at this point. Franchise has alot of goodwill to make up to get to past levels. And yea yea, I know Iron Man's in it. That'll help alot overseas. But domestic? Not so much. The trailers are meh, buzz is relatively muted, and I haven't seen any evidence this is going to have outstanding reception instead of high 70s/low 80s norm. I might join Tele's club.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AdamKendall said:

This is accurate.  I bought into the hype at least in terms of say a 115+ opening, but if you look at comics (and pop culture), Wonder Woman has been dwarfed in popularity by Harley Quinn, which is why Suicide Squad did 133 million OW despite not being very good.  The character is literally DC's 2nd best seller right now.

WW is on that next level below the big guns, she's 'iconic' but trying to point to the Lynda Carter TV show from the 70's is so irrelevant by this point.  The vast majority of people seeing this film have never watched it and many barely know it existed.

The key is WB now has a character who is written well as a hero and can be used alongside Batman to really push Justice League.

I'm not sure comic sales are a great indication of anyway. Most of the people going to those films don't read comics. 

But yes Harley Quinn has been pushed over Wonder Woman, which isn't too surprising given her Batman origins, but it's not her in terms of public awareness. The WW film should help though. 

$34m would mean $23m from FriDAY. 300,000 Tweets, dominating MT and Fandango, excellent word of mouth. I can't see it.

I would be shocked at under $50m total end of day Friday.

Just now, cookie said:

WW - Good, not great. Best element was Gal Gadot/Chris Pine's chemistry. Villain was a big disappointment.

Going by that and the RT score, it could well have been part of MCU. :ph34r:

Spoiler

ZING!!!! please don't ban me 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think WB will be happy with anything over $90m, that's similar to what IM1 got

Why would WB be happy with a gross that is $10m under what a D-List hero (at the time) achieved 9 YEARS AGO without 3D?

15 minutes ago, Negative Panda Covfefe said:

I do think it's possible that WW is going to end up taking the flack for poorly received SS and BvS, despite being a solid and liked movie.

That's my thought as well. I just hope Justice League doesn't squander whatever good will Wonder Woman builds up.

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

$34m would mean $23m from FriDAY. 300,000 Tweets, dominating MT and Fandango, excellent word of mouth. I can't see it.

I would be shocked at under $50m total end of day Friday.

That's about a 40% jump from the current report. Avengers and Jurassic World jumped 23-25%. We will see but I doubt it jumps anymore than they did.

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Man I just don't see the Spider-Man over 300 talk at all. There's nothing in the marketing or the style that suggests that this shit isn't been there, done that. Remember how much TASM2 was mocked, and more to the point, how much it dropped? Spider-Man being replaced is a running joke at this point. Franchise has alot of goodwill to make up to get to past levels. And yea yea, I know Iron Man's in it. That'll help alot overseas. But domestic? Not so much. The trailers are meh, buzz is relatively muted, and I haven't seen any evidence this is going to have outstanding reception instead of high 70s/low 80s norm. I might join Tele's club.

I think it's because it's now in the hands of Marvel, that people see high prospects for it. Still, I think it could follow the path of this year's movies that are performing "normally"; meaning, no breakout. I think it would do 250m at best.

IMO, I felt more excited for ASM than for this.

Edited by franfar
  • Like 1