kayumanggi

Wonder Woman 1984 | Dec 16 2020 OS | Dec 25 2020 US and on HBO MAX

4 minutes ago, meridan said:

Are you telling me that a film that finished filming Dec 2018 didn't finish VFX work for 20 min of footage by Jan 2020? Is that what you are telling me? 

Yes. You do realize VFX is not a straight line right? You need the scenes edited as needed, decide which takes you are using and then submit it to the VFX houses. The priority for VFX houses to start with are the scenes which will be in the trailer. When a trailer is normally released, that is literally the extent of the VFX completed.

I will give you a personal example. I watched Godzilla 2 in August of 2018. Godzilla 2 wrapped filming in September of 2017. Take a wild guess how many scenes were actually fully completed at the time - barely one or two. A whole year since filming and if i had to guess maybe 40% of the movie was complete VFX and only about 1-2 full scenes were complete VFX. No uninterrupted 20 minute sequence of that movie was complete at that point and the entire third act was basically like an animated movie without color. When you have the time to complete post-production, you take the time to complete post production.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Yes. You do realize VFX is not a straight line right? You need the scenes edited as needed, decide which takes you are using and then submit it to the VFX houses. The priority for VFX houses to start with are the scenes which will be in the trailer. When a trailer is normally released, that is literally the extent of the VFX completed.

I will give you a personal example. I watched Godzilla 2 in August of 2018. Godzilla 2 wrapped filming in September of 2017. Take a wild guess how many scenes were actually fully completed at the time - barely one or two. A whole year since filming and if i had to guess maybe 40% of the movie was complete VFX and only about 1-2 full scenes were complete VFX. No uninterrupted 20 minute sequence of that movie was complete at that point and the entire third act was basically like an animated movie without color. When you have the time to complete post-production, you take the time to complete post production.

Since I’m by no means an expert on the post-production process for VFX heavy movies, I’ll take your word for it, but I’m just left here imagining now, more than ever, what a nightmare the production of JL was, since that movie had extensive reshoots going on just several months before it was released. 

10 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Since I’m by no means an expert on the post-production process for VFX heavy movies, I’ll take your word for it, but I’m just left here imagining now, more than ever, what a nightmare the production of JL was, since that movie had extensive reshoots going on just several months before it was released. 

Why do you think the budget ballooned there? Whichever VFX house was contracted made out like bandits there for the rush job.

38 minutes ago, grim22 said:

In other words, this movie would have probably been a disaster if they tried to get it out by Nov 1, 2019. 

1 minute ago, meridan said:

In other words, this movie would have probably been a disaster if they tried to get it out by Nov 1, 2019. 

No, if they had to release it on Nov 1 2019, they would have adjusted timelines accordingly. VFX houses would have worked double shifts, music and score would have been recorded with unfinished scenes and so on. You are assuming there isn't an internal project management team for ensuring things take the time they take. That is the entire role of the line producer and the production team.  With the extra 6 months, they didn't need to rush any post-production and production departments. 

It can be as simple as having the assembly cut done a month later as opposed to a week later. Small delays and efficiencies of a day or a week eventually add up. If the date was Nov 1, they would have made more things run in parallel to meet it than a sequenced production.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And if Tenet moves, everything else in the near future slides –Mulan, Wonder Woman 1984, etc, God forbid there’s another spike in COVID-19 cases. Just like we told you what would happen in the wake of MGM’s No Time to Die move, everything moved, and this time it will be further into the fall and beyond.

Exhibitors were waiting for a decision this week as to whether Tenet would stay or not, and no news is good news.

Warners is literally assessing the situation daily with medical experts and watching exhibition reopenings closely. In box office speak, we often talk about “comps” when it comes to a film’s opening weekend, and there aren’t any comps for what we’re going through with COVID-19. Theater owners hear if Tenet moves, it’s to Wonder Woman 1984‘s date of Aug. 14, and then she jets to December.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/tenet-coronavirus-release-date-change-movie-theaters-1202928823/

If that happens and audiences feel safe to return to theaters by then, this is making the billion club.

On 12/13/2019 at 3:39 PM, AndyK said:

What song could feature in the next trailer.

Has to be something that can be turned into a cinematic remix, be <=1984 and have a good beat.

I'm thinking Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams.

Voila....

• Like 1