Eric Prime

Wednesday Numbers: Baby Driver $5.7M, TF5 3,25M (-43%), Cars 3 2.8M, WW 2.77M

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Gah, that's the same problem I had with Scott Pilgrim.

Yes!! I was actually going to say this same thing. Scott Pilgrim has similar strong elements but Cera is such a wack ass lead it kills the whole endeavor. Edgar Wright really loves him squirelly, charisma vacuum skinny white kids. Dude really could have used finishing a movie with good ole Paul Rudd. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Ansølo fit the role well IMO. It helps he has sunglasses on for most of the film :lol: 

There's nothing to fit! That's the movie's whole problem. There is absolutely nothing to this character, he's a cypher. And if that's the case, you better be bringing Top Gun era Tom Cruise, not this shit.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Saw Baby Driver. I am both entertained and disappointed. Some bonkers setpieces, excellent directing and editing, great supporting cast, terrific soundtrack, funny....but Ansel Elgort is 1000 ton weight around this movies neck. One of the most bland, vacant lead characters I can remember. He's not even "bad, but the way the part is written, it needs someone with tons of charisma and likability to fill it in. Elgort just doesn't have it (IMO and all that). He's just so bland, and it makes Baby so bland, so I didn't care about what happened to him at all. And without that investment, it's just a bunch of super well directed action scenes. There's a version of this movie with Taron Egerton or Emory Cohen or John Boyega playing Baby that could have been a genuine summer classic, but I just didn't get into it because of that, sadly. James, who I like, was pretty damn boring in this too. Just a bland pair of leads that really hold down a great movie. 

One could edit this into a review for Valerian

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Saw Baby Driver. I am both entertained and disappointed. Some bonkers setpieces, excellent directing and editing, great supporting cast, terrific soundtrack, funny....but Ansel Elgort is 1000 ton weight around this movies neck. One of the most bland, vacant lead characters I can remember. He's not even "bad, but the way the part is written, it needs someone with tons of charisma and likability to fill it in. Elgort just doesn't have it (IMO and all that). He's just so bland, and it makes Baby so bland, so I didn't care about what happened to him at all. And without that investment, it's just a bunch of super well directed action scenes. There's a version of this movie with Taron Egerton or Emory Cohen or John Boyega playing Baby that could have been a genuine summer classic, but I just didn't get into it because of that, sadly. James, who I like, was pretty damn boring in this too. Just a bland pair of leads that really hold down a great movie. 

What is an Elgort?

4 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

So, yeah, I essentially echoed these sentiments almost verbatim after seeing it save James. She coasts well enough on grace and beauty. And, honestly, maximizes what she's given on paper. But, Eglort... Just didn't buy him in this movie in any way in just about every scene he's in. Didn't buy the emotional beats - any of them - either. Still, the movie has a TON of shit going for it. And, I think we're in the minority in disapproval wholesale of all things Elgort in this flick. Though, no one seems to be singing his praises either. I literally posted the same regarding youngish leads like Egerton, Cohen, Reynor... Hell, even someone like Will Poulter. Even when mute, Eglort still managed to effectively zap me out of this movie.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3

That seems to be the thing with Wright's films or at least the assumption as to why they've never broken out huge in that his protagonists are either not conventionally likeable or in the hiring of Cera and potentially Elgort his choice of leading men aren't convincing or naturally capable enough to headline what are, lower budgets notwithstanding, the kind of summer blockbusters that made stars of the charismatic likes of Tom Cruise and Michael J Fox 30 years ago.

• Like 2

I want to give 47 Meters down some credit. Its having a very nice little, profitable run. Im hoping this and The Shallows start a new trend of shark movies because i really like shark movies :D

• Like 2

Wed drops will be bad as usual. Baby Driver's OD might have a small impact too.

Thu will be bad as DM3 previews.

Friday might again not be very good due to theater counts for many going down and DM3 true OD. 

Sat, Sun, Mon will make up for it though by being better than expected due to Canada's holiday.

Then next week depending on who takes a theater count hit, July 4th weekend can be a bloodbath for many holdovers and great for those who can retain significant theaters. July 4th week/weekend ends up being extremist - great and horrible - I think.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Yes!! I was actually going to say this same thing. Scott Pilgrim has similar strong elements but Cera is such a wack ass lead it kills the whole endeavor. Edgar Wright really loves him squirelly, charisma vacuum skinny white kids. Dude really could have used finishing a movie with good ole Paul Rudd. 

Ahhhhh!  I hated Scott Pilgrim b/c of the lead...now you're also saying Baby Driver's lead equally sucks:(...is he at least not really annoying?  I could almost handle wallpaper vs nails on the chalkboard...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Baerrt said:

That seems to be the thing with Wright's films or at least the assumption as to why they've never broken out huge in that his protagonists are either not conventionally likeable or in the hiring of Cera and potentially Elgort his choice of leading men aren't convincing or naturally capable enough to headline what are, lower budgets notwithstanding, the kind of summer blockbusters that made stars of the charismatic likes of Tom Cruise and Michael J Fox 30 years ago.

That's Gareth Edwards problem too. He's another one who  gravitates towards unlikable, un-charismatic leads. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I want to give 47 Meters down some credit. Its having a very nice little, profitable run. Im hoping this and The Shallows start a new trend of shark movies because i really like shark movies :D

Not yet. Deadline said they don't know how much it was acquired from Dimension for, but US P&A spend alone was $30m. 

It's still a hit though. Profits incoming from international grosses and home entertainment. 

• Like 1