Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

Kubo and Two strings is a very good movie but I don't have any faith in what Paramount sees Transformers as. In my opinion they never cared about the quality when it came to the Transformers series so it is difficult to look at Bumblebee as anything more than a quick cash grab that nobody's going to care about whether it's actually any good or not.

1 hour ago, DAR said:

So if Pirates didn't have the benefit of Memorial Day how close would Pirates and TF5 be in domestic gross.  It looks like Pirates will finish with a 15-20 million gap.

TF5 looks like it'll finish in the 130s. So the gap might be close to 40 million. 

Define irony. Take a website that is littered with members who love discussing the box office complaining about movies making too much money and that the studios making them are just greedy corporate fuckers.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

Define irony. Take a website that is littered with members who love discussing the box office complaining about movies making too much money and that the studios making them are just greedy corporate fuckers.

We like it when good products sell well, we like it when bad products sell badly.

Pretty basic consumer theory.

Just now, tribefan695 said:

We like it when good products sell well, we like it when bad products sell badly.

All sibjective. Pixar is horrible to some of us.

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

The thing is that you cannot say in a definitive, irrefutable way that such-and-such is "bad product" or "good product." 

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

All sibjective. Pixar is horrible to some of us.

And if they have a bomb/disappointment you're completely free to celebrate that too.

Though ironically you didn't really take that opportunity with either Cars 3 or The Good Dinosaur. You seem to only care about hating Pixar when you know you can trigger someone.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

The thing is that you cannot say in a definitive, irrefutable way that such-and-such is "bad product" or "good product." 

I think in the cases of both Cars and Despicable Me it's clear that audience interest is wearing thin, and as someone who doesn't care for either franchise I don't see a reason not to be pleased about that.

8 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I think in the cases of both Cars and Despicable Me it's clear that audience interest is wearing thin, and as someone who doesn't care for either franchise I don't see a reason not to be pleased about that.

Well, that, or the lack of promotions has really hurt these types of movies...not only is the spring online war between Atom/Fandango over for now, but signature visa did not do their normal BOGO Friday ticket deals this summer yet.  The best deal for DM3, outside of some very local grocery deals, was a generic $3/off Fandango deal.  Heck, WW did better than that (with $5/off) and GOTG2 had BOGO pre-release.  When you are buying 4-6 tickets, these deals matter more than they would for the teen buying a single ticket...and amusingly enough, this weekend, that teen could have had a $5/ticket to the House or Baby Driver from Atom...but not for DM3.

I think that, more than anything, is having an effect...last summer, Dory and Pets were easily BOGO purchases...this summer, neither Cars 3 or CU was (and Cars 3 skipped BOGO and had a last minute "oh crap" free deal to Disney credit card holders, but that was very targeted, so GA could also not get it)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

3 hours ago, YourMother said:

Sony might have a strong summer this year.

BD: $100M

SMHC: $300M

Emoji: $120M

DT: $110M

I think The Dark Tower is going to be a stinker. Emoji might crack $100m but I think they'll be very happy with Baby Driver's success. 

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, that, or the lack of promotions has really hurt these types of movies...not only is the spring online war between Atom/Fandango over for now, but signature visa did not do their normal BOGO Friday ticket deals this summer yet.  The best deal for DM3, outside of some very local grocery deals, was a generic $3/off Fandango deal.  Heck, WW did better than that (with $5/off) and GOTG2 had BOGO pre-release.  When you are buying 4-6 tickets, these deals matter more than they would for the teen buying a single ticket...and amusingly enough, this weekend, that teen could have had a $5/ticket to the House or Baby Driver from Atom...but not for DM3.

I think that, more than anything, is having an effect...last summer, Dory and Pets were easily BOGO purchases...this summer, neither Cars 3 or CU was (and Cars 3 skipped BOGO and had a last minute "oh crap" free deal to Disney credit card holders, but that was very targeted, so GA could also not get it)...

Eh, that's a big reach especially considering how the rest of this summer has gone. I feel like "it's the movie, stupid" is the simplest and most logical explanation. The only reason I can think of for denying that is some weird idea that it's impossible for families to dislike or get bored of certain movies/franchises aimed at them.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1