Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

WW became WBs 4th biggest movie and biggest since TDKR yesterday.

Rank Movie Title (click to view) Studio Total Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Open
1 The Dark Knight WB $533,345,358 4,366 $158,411,483 4,366 7/18/08
2 The Dark Knight Rises WB $448,139,099 4,404 $160,887,295 4,404 7/20/12
3 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 WB $381,011,219 4,375 $169,189,427 4,375 7/15/11
4 Wonder Woman WB $350,494,475 4,165 $103,251,471 4,165 6/2/17
5 American Sniper WB $350,126,372 3,885 $633,456 4 12/25/14
  • Like 16

47 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I don't like the spot the sequel is in. It opens the same week as Pets 2, one week before Top Gun 2, and two weeks before the likely $200M+/$600M+ domestic hit: The Lion King.

Top Gun 2 will probably bomb, but I agree that competition could prevent it from being that much bigger. Same thing with Deadpool 2. If it wasn't for the ridiculous competition it's facing, I would be willing to bet for an increase for that film. Spidey 2 could move to August 2019, which only has SpongeBob 3, Creature from the Black Lagoon and a Disney live-action film (none of them should be problems unless the Disney film is Aladdin or Little Mermaid remake).

1 hour ago, AHepBurn said:

A little late with the Aquaman OW talk, but I really don't see it missing $100mil OW. Unlike the MCU movies which have obvious peaks and valleys depending on RDJ/character, the DCEU movies have been pretty ridiculously steady from a numbers standpoint regardless of the star/character. Until we see otherwise, I'm going to assume that $100mil OW, $300mil DOM, $700mil WW is the absolute floor for that franchise. And those are great numbers since it looks like after the larger budget for BvS to try and kick-start things, WB has kept budgets in a reasonable mid/upper blockbuster level (SS $175mil, WW $150mil, AQM $160mil).

DC's big three is Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.

I doubt Aquaman can get a WW opening without some gimmick to build interest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, miketheavenger said:

Disney live-action film (none of them should be problems unless the Disney film is Aladdin or Little Mermaid remake).

Thing is I think that one isn't happening due Lion King being in Mid July.

Edited by YourMother

Wonder Woman is clearly taking advantage of the extended holiday weekend of sorts, being up 39% from last Monday. By the end of the week, it will be at close to $360 million total. It will thus nearly be the leggiest run of any comic book film in the modern era before Spidey even opens. Once it hits $365 million next weekend, it will have surpassed the multipliers of GOTG and Spider-Man to become the leggiest. 

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 16

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

DC's big three is Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.

I doubt Aquaman can get a WW opening without some gimmick to build interest.

They managed to get SS up to a huge 133+.

That had Joker though and Quinn took off with the people. Smith had a big presence. But still, the marketing was genius.

WB will need similar magic to get AQM to open big.

Also it's December, so 100m+ is not very likely.

65-75 in December is really good cause even 3.5x+ is in play for an decent non-sequel due to the holidays.

• Like 3

TDKR had a 5th weekend of 11 and added 38.3 more to it's cume (409.8 => 448.1)

WONDR had a 15.7 5th weekend. Even if it adds the same 38.3, it will get to 346.2 + 38.3 = 384.5

edit:

Am thinking 393 for WONDR and 389 for GOTG2.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

47 MD is going to do north of 40 million.  That's good to see, imo.  It rewards a good business decision from the producers.  They took a huge gamble spending money on a film that has already been on line for about a year, and it paid off.  Audiences seem to be liking it and that is also good to see.

• Like 7

I like box office stories like 47 Meters. My favorite box office stories are the little (and big) movies that could so something like Get Out's run is exhilarating. I'm hoping that Baby Driver has a really good run after the holidays are over.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

It'll be hilarious if Cars 3 (not exactly a "great" run) manages to outgross Transformers 5. Transformers is dropping incredibly fast.

Both are huge disappointments, so it's not as hilarious as it might have been.

45 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I like box office stories like 47 Meters. My favorite box office stories are the little (and big) movies that could so something like Get Out's run is exhilarating. I'm hoping that Baby Driver has a really good run after the holidays are over.

I think it will. It's going to attract the people who want an action movie that's less kiddie than Spider-Man: Homecoming.

And I think that audience is pretty big.

4 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

The only thing I can tell with confidence is that overseas it will be tough for it.

I bet most of the people do not not the existence of Aquamam with myself included.

So, 700m WW is not happening at all imo.

Really? You didn't know of Aquaman's existence? Weird.

I probably should ask around more about this but I'm pretty sure he's well known where I am from. Plus don't forget he'll be coming out in a big role on Justice League before getting his solo movie. I don't see Aquaman doing less than Wonder Woman OS.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I probably should ask around more about this but I'm pretty sure he's well known where I am from. Plus don't forget he'll be coming out in a big role on Justice League before getting his solo movie. I don't see Aquaman doing less than Wonder Woman OS.

He also has the advantage of being the 1st underwater super...space totally worked for Guardians...water will give a whole new avenue to explore for Aquaman...we are learning everyday that domestically, new sells...especially if it's a spin off something old and beloved...so don't count out DOM numbers yet, either:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I agree. Thanks to what I imagine will be amazing visuals and a strong intro in JL, I think AM is actually gonna do really well OS. I see it going higher than SS.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, John Marston said:

It's far from over yet - Buzz from reviews and so on might change the outlook. That was tracking from 3 weeks before its OW.

Around Lucy's numbers would be great for it and still attainable with this tracking if reviews are good.

PS: I really enjoyed John Carter for what it's worth.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

I think it will. It's going to attract the people who want an action movie that's less kiddie than Spider-Man: Homecoming.

And I think that audience is pretty big.

Definitely!! WOM continues to be strong over social media.