Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

19 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Since DM3 predicts are all over the place, here's a chance to put your predictor hat on. One gold account up for grabs to whoever comes closest on the weekend number. Just quote this post with your predict and the closest person wins it on Monday.

$81.3m

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Some are talking about Baby Driver like it's a mini Jurassic World opening weekend or something. I know we're desperate for breakouts but come on. Yes the numbers are good, yes it's over performing expectations but no it isn't some phenomenon.

Who says it's a phenomenon? 

Its over peforming expectations which is why we are excited. 

Are folks not allowed to be excited because an original film is over performing? 

Like I mentioned the other day not everything has to be Jurassic World or Wonder Woman. Nor do they have to be mini Wonder Woman's or mini Jurassic Worlds. 

People are allowed to be excited over a film out performing the expectations that the trades and the people on this forum had for it. 

When the market has been dominated by tentpole after tentpole, it's actually nice to see an original mid budget film hold its own against the big boys. 

• Like 6

As time keeps passing, I'm more and more convinced that Girl Trip is gonna break out. The trailer seems to be really appealing to a bigger audience than expected, and there hasn't been ANY decent R-Rated comedy hit this summer. The House and Rough Night will probably make a little over $50m COMBINED and Snatched/Baywatch barely made a dent at the box office.

• Like 3

With the exception of Scott Pilgrim, which was nothing but a fanboy masturbatory fantasy that regular filmgoers were bound to ignore,  Edgar Wright's  previous films are very British Centric so of course those weren't going to break out in North America. They did fine for what they are. 

I'll jump on the "this is stellar" train when I see what the legs are like.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Since DM3 predicts are all over the place, here's a chance to put your predictor hat on. One gold account up for grabs to whoever comes closest on the weekend number. Just quote this post with your predict and the closest person wins it on Monday.

1 minute ago, Spaghetti of 1000 Planets said:

As time keeps passing, I'm more and more convinced that Girl Trip is gonna break out. The trailer seems to be really appealing to a bigger audience than expected, and there hasn't been ANY decent R-Rated comedy hit this summer. The House and Rough Night will probably make a little over $50m COMBINED and Snatched/Baywatch barely made a dent at the box office.

Girls Trip will be the highest grossing comedy of the year. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, grim22 said:

There is nothing wrong with being happy about the Baby Driver numbers. I'm happy about the numbers because I am a fan of the director but this is a box office forum, so I will not overstate the numbers. That's just me though, I don't like to overstate nor downplay numbers.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, grim22 said:

$84.76M

23 minutes ago, 75live said:

by that thinking then who's to say it wouldn't be getting this number it's getting with the RT score is had either.  It just proves nothing either way :P 

Correct me if I'm wrong but won't BD be EW's most successful film by a wide margin?

Too early to call Tomato Law s fluke imo.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but won't BD be EW's most successful film by a wide margin?

Too early to call Tomato Law s fluke imo.

It'll be Wright's most successful film in like a week. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, grim22 said:

81.58 million

35 minutes ago, grim22 said:

$85.3m

Edited by cannastop

Just now, grim22 said:

Hmmm... $86M.

• Like 1

To all those guessing DM3's OW for a chance for a gold account, edit your answers to $83M. 

If we all guess the same number, that means we will all be the closest to its actual OW which means we will all get gold accounts. 

Now what are you waiting for. Go change your answers. Now. 

:ph34r:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Truckasaurus said:

Has there been a movie in past 3 years that has gotten above 95% on Rotten Tomatoes that's been an unequivocal flop?

People are starting to become aware of the T O M A T O  L A W

The Edge of Seventeen :ph34r:

@WrathOfHan

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 4