CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

This is a 6th Spiderman. Why would you not use a multiplier from a film like Iron Man 3 or Winter Soldier or Guardians of the Galaxy part 2?

For starters because none of those had mid-July weekdays. 

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I feel like there's a lot of excuses being made for this movie's performance. I understand if you like the film but it's not doing well. People aren't going to sugarcoat the numbers to make anyone feel better.

You're talking crap. Nobody is excusing anything or "wanting to feel better"

TF5 was a shit movie and it's doing sht business 

but 600m WW on a 217m budget with other revenue sources that will be included later as well is still

not a gigantic bomb. Other franchises have fallen worse and come back The TF franchise is likely not dead and buried like some think 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, drdungbeetle said:

Spidey has a "fixed" audience that is very likely to show up early on by now. If anything this has vastly outperformed Amazing Spidey 2 by now, which is a good sign. 

Maybe not though. I mean the OS audience have still been there for movies like Jack Reacher 2, Oblivion, and Knight and Day. He just has real star power draw OS, no question about it. 

Edited by MovieMan89

Just now, John Marston said:

You're talking crap 

but 600m WW on a 217m budget with other revenue sources that will be included later as well is still

not a gigantic bomb. Other franchises have fallen worse and come bac. The TF franchise is likely not dead and buried like some think 

We don't even know if it's getting 600m worldwide and its dropping like a stone. Paramount will be dead and buried if it thinks Transformers movies will give it enough profit margin to function.

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

This is a 6th Spiderman. Why would you not use a multiplier from a film like Iron Man 3 or Winter Soldier or Guardians of the Galaxy part 2?

B/c you don't need to watch any other movie to enjoy this one...it's a "1st movie" for this cast and character...so, a "1st" movie multiple should be more realistic...

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

http://deadline.com/2017/07/spider-man-homecoming-box-office-opening-1202124834/

The Big Sick is going into 2,500+ theaters next weekend. 12M might be too low :jeb!: 

I'd say just right. Its PTA drops so far have been good but nothing extraordinary, with that kind of expansion the average should drop over 50% again. 11-14m weekend. 

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

If Transformers 5 is dropping as hard as it is from it's predecessor, imagine what Transformers 6 is going to do?

If Transformers 6 actually happens then I would love to know how some of these people that greenlight films hold on to their jobs. The only option for the franchise is to wait a bit and reboot. 

Why do so many people seem to gleefully enjoy when a franchise seems to be on its last legs commercially?  I don't mean here at BOT necessarily, but all over the net and across plenty of message boards, the schadenfreude  seems massive. I mean...how does it bother you that a film series that you don't enjoy continues making money? And why is it joyful to see said franchise stumble commercially?  People love hyperbolic statements like "Nobody gives a shit about those crappy Transformers movies anymore" and "Audiences have finally turned their backs on Pirates ; yay!!," but seriously, unless those films suddenly make 0 dollars, they still have fans that enjoy them and look forward to more stories. Is it because there is something inherently "wrong" about making blockbusters that critics don't like but a large segment of the public enjoys? I am still more meh  than anything else in regard to most of the stuff released by the MCU, but I have a hard time imagining myself actually enjoying if they suddenly started to get RT scores of under 30 % and diminishing returns at the box office. I would simply be...indifferent, I guess.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

You're talking crap. Nobody is excusing anything or "wanting to feel better"

not a gigantic bomb. Other franchises have fallen worse and come back The TF franchise is likely not dead and buried like some think 

Who called it a gigantic bomb? And why do you think the next one will do better?  Because Paramount suddenly cares about the quality of the films? Why would they care now?

34 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I agree with ya. I don't know why people are comparing Batman and Robin to TASM 1 and 2.

Batman and Robin got 10% on RT, while TASM 2 got 52%, which would be more mixed than negative. TASM 1 was certified fresh on RT. Hell, even Spider Man 3 was fresh ( though not certified ) on RT.  If Homecoming makes less than TASM 1, that's bad. There's no excuse, no argument. They even have Iron Man to give a boost.

The last 3 Spidey movies aren't bad, and the RT scores and the user scores show that.

TASM2 was horrible.

There's no spinning it.

If the movie got 15% of RT I wouldn't think twice.

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

Force Awakens, Rogue One.

force awakens was never a female-led movie to me, rey was not as centrical as diana and katniss, SW7 was more like ensemble cast....

rogue one, not really an origin story, but indeed is a female-led

Just now, Cochofles said:

Why do so many people seem to gleefully enjoy when a franchise seems to be on its last legs commercially?  I don't mean here at BOT necessarily, but all over the net and across plenty of message boards, the schadenfreude  seems massive. I mean...how does it bother you that a film series that you don't enjoy continues making money? And why is it joyful to see said franchise stumble commercially?  People love hyperbolic statements like "Nobody gives a shit about those crappy Transformers movies anymore" and "Audiences have finally turned their backs on Pirates ; yay!!," but seriously, unless those films suddenly make 0 dollars, they still have fans that enjoy them and look forward to more stories. Is it because there is something inherently "wrong" about making blockbusters that critics don't like but a large segment of the public enjoys? I am still more meh  than anything else in regard to most of the stuff released by the MCU, but I have a hard time imagining myself actually enjoying if they suddenly started to get RT scores of under 30 % and diminishing returns at the box office. I would simply be...indifferent, I guess.  

Why spend all those time and resources on films that are barely profitable? I'm sure there's fans out there of any movie ever made, but that doesn't mean we should just keep getting endless sequels if the demand has clearly died off significantly. Wouldn't people rather have some fresh ideas and franchises in place of the franchises that are doing poorly both commercially and critically? 

34 minutes ago, eXtacy said:

From what it looks like at the moment, for the summer

GOTG2 takes WW crown

WW takes DOM crown

SMH takes OS crown

Very amusing result

BATB for the first quarter of 2017 crown and The Last Jedi for the 2017 DOM, WW, and OS crown.

UOH0CVx.jpg