CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

5 minutes ago, Alli said:

Can we ban the expression "love letter to Hollywood"?

It's a "love letter to hollywood" except for a martial artist who heavily impacted fight choreography in hollywood action films lol. For some reason Tarantino said fuck that guy. 

Edited by ban1o

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

this idea that internet weirdos bring up of others being tricked into liking a movie because they don't agree with them... it makes no sense. like, that's not a thing. even if it was, is that a bad thing? "Oh no i was DUPED into having a good time at the movies! I can't believe i've been tricked into enjoying something smh.". sucks for those letterboxd assholes. thinking they got something worthwhile for their time and money, what losers.

I imagine that it is certainly possible to have an better experience because of some hype/manipulation technique, a bit like the old study that showed people that find a stereo sounded better if you sticked a Sony sticker on it, Coke taste better to many when they know that it is coke, brain scan do show this.

In the Penn & teller series they did the experiment to cut a banana in half, made it taste test in a outdoor market presenting one half as a regular banana the other half an a biologic one, many people did find the "bio" half more tasty and I would imagine that it is quite possible that same can happen to a movie goer watching a movie, tasting wine, fancy restaurant (again the Penn&Teller on the false fancy restaurant worked really well).

Star Wars is probably way more fun opening night, an sport even drunk at a bar with friends or on location, etc... but like you said it is pure positive to have the best possible subjective experience at the movie and something that you want (trying resisting having a good time to have some objective experience to give the movie the right score on your imdb list would be strange to do), after all here all the ticket are the same price and there is nothing else than having fun watching the movie involved.

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

well I am going to have it spoiled because I don't know anything about the subject matter. Given I'll be seeing it in just a few weeks i think it makes sense to read up after watching the film rather than before.

Human history isn't a spoiler, though. 

Are you really saying you don't want to learn about one of the most significant events of the late '60s because you don't want to ruin a movie? A movie that it's creator wrote and directed under the assumption his viewers DO know the story he's riffing on? You won't be spoiling "Once Upon a Time..." by having a working knowledge of Charles Manson. The writer and director expects you to know about the case, and the era it occurred in. It's possible the movie won't really work otherwise.... honestly, I wonder if that's part of the reason WOM is as mixed as it is, if some audience members are so unfamiliar with what Tarantino is riffing on that it just doesn't work right. 

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

You won't be spoiling "Once Upon a Time..." by having a working knowledge of Charles Manson. The writer and director expects you to know about the case, and the era it occurred in. It's possible the movie won't really work otherwise....

This. Highly important. It's actually a fault of the movie honestly. Think QT presupposed more possessed this working knowledge than actually do. Especially younger viewers.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

This. Highly important. It's actually a fault of the movie honestly. Think QT presupposed more possessed this working knowledge than actually do. Especially younger viewers.

yeah I actually wondered how people who didn't know much about the Manson's would react to the film. A lot of it wouldn't make sense imo if you really knew nothing about it. It's a big problem of the film because it doesn't work at all if you aren't familiar with the Manson family murders and imo you shouldn't need prior knowledge to watch an original film. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

It's a "love letter to hollywood" except for a martial artist who heavily impacted fight choreography in hollywood action films lol. For some reason Tarantino said fuck that guy. 

I guess The Bride was just wearing the same yellow jumpsuit that Bruce Lee wore on accident? 

Almost every second of Kill Bill Vol. 1 was a 'love letter to Asian cinema/martial arts movies.' 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I guess The Bride was just wearing the same yellow jumpsuit that Bruce Lee wore on accident? 

Almost every second of Kill Bill Vol. 1 was a 'love letter to Asian cinema/martial arts movies.' 

Too bad he treated the actual Bruce Lee like crap. Someone so inspired by Asian cinema in his films (with white protagonists) treated one of the originators of asian influence in hollywood like crap in his "love letter to hollywood

LMAO like that's supposed to work in his favour 

Edited by ban1o

1 hour ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Human history isn't a spoiler, though. 

Are you really saying you don't want to learn about one of the most significant events of the late '60s because you don't want to ruin a movie?

aren't his documentaries supposed to scare people out of acting giddy or become military-like? 

I won't investigate him now just because of the influence of behavior.  no need to read books about something like that.  just the truth for me and how silly it was to the media.

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It is an interesting question, why decide to have Lee loose a fight in such a way and show him sprout non sense about is hands being registered weapon.

who knows what goes on in Tarantino's head

2 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

almost all the women in the film were barefoot at times, sometimes for no reason

The whole bare feet thing was peculiar, though at least one guy was notably barefoot as well.

edit - Apropos of nothing, I liked it a lot, but I really see how not being familiar with the era would be a problem.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Poor Jlaw.

She went to a QT lunch wearing sandals, her feet in plain sight.

What a modern day heroine.

Still did not got cast.

She does not look like sharon . But neither does Robbie. Rosé Byrne would maybe have been good casting for her

In cinephalia, completely abysmal artistic decisions becomes

artistic quirks, "vision", your own style etc

Because you know, QT is an auteur, even his poop turns to gold filmed in Panavision 70mm.

It s like poetry.

It rhymes.