CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

8 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

I check out this thread for the first time in a couple days and suddenly it's gone full "Did you know TITANIC was based on a true story??"

Titanic was completely understandable for someone who knew nothing about the true story. Also I think the titanic disaster was more universally known than the Manson family murders is imo. I really don’t get what you are trying to say here.  We’re discussing how the movie might not be completely accessible and that does have an impact on legs and box office. 

Edited by ban1o

31 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I agree with you that Tarantino overestimated. I had to explain the ending to my mom, and I could *feel* a lack of understanding in the theater. This film was made exclusively for cinephiles.

Or rather, the studio over-budgeted QT's nostalgic fairy tale.  QT has long earned the right to make whatever film he wants, but I just saw from deadline that this needs $400m global to break even. I don't see this playing as well overseas as Django and I think domestic legs will be disappointing as this isn't nearly as culturally accessible as Django or Basterds.

I'm thinking $100m domestic, $300m global. What was the last QT film that didn't turn a profit in theaters?

why would if gross 200M overseas if it's "very American centric"?

@ViewerAnon no need to act like a prick just because someone doesn't know about your history.

I can also imagine that there were Americans who not aware of Titanic before the film since it has nothing to do with american history. You don't need to be so elitist buddy.

Edited by Avatree

There are idiots who didn’t know that the Titanic was real.

They learned more about that historical event from its film than someone would learn about the Tate murder from this.

I think $200m overseas take, as that matches up with Basterds a decade ago (when tickets were cheaper) and $60m below Django. It’s an optimistic forecast based on QT’s stature

Edited by OncomingStorm93

42 minutes ago, Avatree said:

why would if gross 200M overseas if it's "very American centric"?

@ViewerAnon no need to act like a prick just because someone doesn't know about your history.

I can also imagine that there were Americans who not aware of Titanic before the film since it has nothing to do with american history. You don't need to be so elitist buddy.

???

It was set to dock in NYC and several of the richest Americans of the era died on the ship. Not to mention the "unsinkable Molly Brown".

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

???

It was set to dock in NYC and several of the richest Americans of the era died on the ship. Not to mention the "unsinkable Molly Brown".

Stop being pedantic you know what I meant. it did not make it to america, in case you weren't aware.. ;) 

Edited by Avatree

26 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

Seems weird that the response to me comparing people who know nothing about the Manson murders to people who knew nothing about the Titanic is "Some Americans didn't know about the Titanic."

Yes. And they were silly.

I still don't understand your point of view. The movie Titanic is able to be fully appreciated or understood without knowing much about the real Titanic story and imo Titanic was more universally known disaster than the Manson murders is today. OUATIH is not able to fully appreciated if you don't know much about the Manson Murders. This is just a fact. I  can't go into detail without going into spoiler territory but the way the film is done you just can't appreciate it without knowing some detail about the Manson family Murders. That is a drawback to the film and I definitely think it's playing a part in the divisive reaction from General audiences. . 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

I am planning to watch this movie this weekend and while I’m vaguely familiar with the Manson murders, I don’t know every single detail about it/them. I was like 4 when the Titanic came out. Didn’t watch it till years later. But even if I knew nothing about the real Titanic event, that movie doesn’t need someone to have a background understanding of what really happened in order to enjoy the film. 

I will see if that’s the case for this film or not. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

I am planning to watch this movie this weekend and while I’m vaguely familiar with the Manson murders, I don’t know every single detail about it/them. I was like 4 when the Titanic came out. Didn’t watch it till years later. But even if I knew nothing about the real Titanic event, that movie doesn’t need someone to have a background understanding of what really happened in order to enjoy the film. 

I will see if that’s the case for this film or not. 

I don’t think you need to know much other than you know who the Manson cult is and the end result of what happened there

15 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I don’t think you need to know much other than you know who the Manson cult is and the end result of what happened there

This. All you have to know is that the Manson family was a hippie cult lead by Charles Manson and that one one day a group of them went out, invaded Roman Polanski's home and killed a bunch of people  including an upcoming actress Sharon Tate (Polanski's wife). The problem is many people don't know this and many people watching the film don't even know it's about the Manson family murders because this was not made clear in the marketing. Not everyone spends time on film forums lmao. 

Knowing additional details about the golden age of hollywood and about the Manson family will help you appreciate it more but it's not necessary to understand it. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, ban1o said:

This. All you have to know is that the Manson family was a hippie cult lead by Charles Manson and that one one day a group of them went out, invaded Roman Polanski's home and killed a bunch of people  including an upcoming actress Sharon Tate (Polanski's wife). The problem is many people don't know this and many people watching the film don't even know it's about the Manson family murders because this was not made clear in the marketing. Not everyone spends time on film forums lmao. 

Knowing additional details about the golden age of hollywood and about the Manson family will help you appreciate it more but it's not necessary to understand it. 

So then if not many people watching it even knew it involved the Manson Family, then how is them not knowing about the Manson Family going to hurt it...?

12 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

So then if not many people watching it even knew it involved the Manson Family, then how is them not knowing about the Manson Family going to hurt it...?

It’s a bit of a blindside. There was no warning that it involves the Manson Family, so when it pops up in the movie expecting some sort of audience background knowledge, it creates confusion. Simply something along the lines of “See the TRUE story of the Manson Murders” or some other marketing bs in the promos would’ve created awareness and I’m sure many people that were interested would get curious enough to google what that it is.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

have you seen the film?  We need to go to the spoiler thread for this. 

Yeah my take is at the end of the day Tarantino just expected a decent chunk of people to have a general idea about the Manson cult/murders story. If you don't, some of the best seems also seem kind of pointless and that's the problem.

• Like 2